Help me build a HT..........

usfscaptain14

Help me build a HT..........
« on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:37 pm »
I need some opinions. I finally decided on my speaker's they are Salk towers in Guitar blast. They are Amazing looking. I also ordered his matching center.
My goal is to have 7.1 sstem. 50/50 is probally what i'll use it for.But after i get the Salk's i'll probally go 80/20.

My room is 23x20x8. I have a 1080p sony and a PS3. I need a reciever that does the following:

1. Has 7.1
2. Enough wattatge for the Salk's
3. 2 zone minimum
4. all the latest formats

I'm considering the :

1.Yamaha 1800
2. denon 4308cI

Also: what amp?
So what do you All think?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Help me build a HT..........
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:42 pm »
Just my opinion but I'd not even think of either of those 2 receivers for those nice Salks.  Neither of them is up to snuff in terms of sound quality.  There aren't really many that are though.  I'd seriously consider going separates.

If you must do a receiver, I'd consider something like this:

http://www.audiophilesystems.com/prod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=40&cid=42&prodid=1242&sid=9&sname=ARCAM

Bryan

klh

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2008, 07:03 pm »
That's a nice receiver, but it doesn't decode the latest formats (not that it even matters with the PS3 since it only outputs LPCM). But, he listed that as one of his requirements. I'd consider the yet to be released Sherwood Newcastle R-972 or one of the Integra receivers/separates. I'd check out all the threads on the Onkyo receivers before jumping at one of them... they have had lots of problems. Some have been fixed with firmware updates. I also believe they have a new line coming out soon (706, 806, 906). The benefit of teh S/N receiver is it has the Trinnov Optimizer built in. The stand alone unit costs $13,000. This is supposed to be like Audyssey PRO on steroids... much, much better. You can dial in your own house curve, account for acoustics, re-orientate the spacial location of your speakers to recording standards. Pretty cool stuff.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2008, 07:11 pm »
Either of those processors would work fine.  As for 'latest formats' - most of them aren't even finalized yet and almost nobody has much of anything that uses them.  I mean seriously, find much of anything in video that even has REAL 7.1 audio tracks.  99.9% of it is still 5.1 and 7.1 is derived from it. 

If you wait until they're all finalized, you won't buy much of anything for a few years.  Might as well get some enjoyment in the meantime  :wink:  Now that BluRay has finally won the war, MAYBE in 2-3 years we'll have real software and hardware that uses the new standards - assuming they don't come out with something bigger and better in the meantime.

Not trying to quash dreams - just trying to be realistic.

The other option is to get the Denon or some other receiver that has all the features and decoding you want and then just bypass the amp section to a good amplifier and get the best of both worlds. 

Bryan

usfscaptain14

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:24 am »
bpape,

What do you mean going separates?

TomQ

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:29 am »
See my post over at avs forums/speakers/the official salk owners speakers, had all your same concerns etc,  went 5.1 using separates :Integra DTC 9.8 pre-amp can decode all the high end audio found on  blu-ray, et. all, also auduyssey room acoustics, and enough settings to satisfy most . I power the salk HT's all 5,  with a halo parasound A51 from audio advisor (250 watts per channel).
plus Jim had a great idea how to use HT1  for surrounds that hang on the wall. T

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:36 am »
I read your post that you were wanting to do a receiver.  Guess I misread it - sorry.

I'd still rather see you look at the Integra processor and a good amp.  The speakers will benefit a lot from a good strong amp that will grab hold of them but still stay smooth sounding.

Bryan

GloP

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:38 am »
Integra DTC 9.8 and good amp is what's going to be running at my place :).

noshortcuts

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:26 am »
The Pre I have and love is the Onkyo PR SC885. It's from the Pro line and I can't find anything I don't love about it. Including the price. I paid $1500. But then you'll still need 7 channels of amp. There is also the Onkyo tx-nr905 that has the same look and many of the same features of the 885 and includes 7 channels of amplification (140 per channel??, I think). Worth considering if you end up not going with seperates.

I ran my old sony receiver (an oldie, but one of their goodies and 120watts I think) to the SongTowers and they sounded great so I don't think you HAVE to go crazy with power and separates to enjoy the STs. They are easy to please. But are you? There is plenty of info on the Onkyo models (avsforum) if you are interested in checking them out. Have fun.

usfscaptain14

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:46 am »
Where would i buy an Integra? And what amp's do you guy's like?

Kokishin

• Cirroc: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:48 am »
Please provide some pics.  Like to see the HT1's wall mounted.

See my post over at avs forums/speakers/the official salk owners speakers, had all your same concerns etc,  went 5.1 using separates :Integra DTC 9.8 pre-amp can decode all the high end audio found on  blu-ray, et. all, also auduyssey room acoustics, and enough settings to satisfy most . I power the salk HT's all 5,  with a halo parasound A51 from audio advisor (250 watts per channel).
plus Jim had a great idea how to use HT1  for surrounds that hang on the wall. T

TomQ

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:05 am »
look at:
   AVS Forum > Audio Area > Speakers
 The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread

for pics of the HT1's wall mounted. T

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:30 am »
Get an Onkyo SC885 here, same unit as INtegra:  http://www.ggvideo.com/index.php

Have to call them for best price.

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:34 am »
My Onkyo 905 rocks.... pretty darn close to audiophile measures but convenient....do you get that in your a-phile amp?

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2008, 03:00 am »