100 volt amp on 220 Volts

OldScott

100 volt amp on 220 Volts
« on: 25 Apr 2021, 04:49 am »
I know that equipment built to run on 220v can be run on 110v through a step transformer. But how about vice versa? If one goes to Europe how can a tube amplifier designed for 110 volts in the U.S. be run there?

toocool4

Re: 100 volt amp on 220 Volts
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2021, 08:03 am »
You answered your own question already by saying Step transformer. You can get Step-Up as well as Step-Down transformer, you just use the one that is appropriate for your needs.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2021, 03:14 pm »
What are your amp?
The best option is to change the amp transformer to the correct tension due the similar prices on both transformers, if its a tube amp I would like Ogonovsky from Poland, great workmanship and low prices, he have an 7kg EI power transformer which was used in the Lampizator GM70 amp, under $200 at the time I bought, there is no extra cost for customs orders.
http://www.ogonowski.eu/transformers/power/
And if its a Toroidal SS transformer it even more cheap.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2021, 06:14 pm by FullRangeMan »

OldScott

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2021, 05:07 pm »
Sounds like a more elegant solution but there is a reluctance to risk loss or damage in transporting a 20K pair of Wavacs to a different country and back. So the step down transformer just wont work or will risk damaging the amplifiers ???

galyons

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2021, 05:28 pm »
Sounds like a more elegant solution ...

Not really!  That solution is like hunting field mice with an elephant gun.  Stepping transformers have been used for ages.  Who knows where you might live next!?  Remember to KISS!

Cheers,
Geary

bellavita

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2021, 05:42 pm »
These are the best step up/down transformers I have used made in USA as well.
Cheers

https://acupwr.com/pages/voltage-transformers-converters

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2021, 06:22 pm »
Sounds like a more elegant solution but there is a reluctance to risk loss or damage in transporting a 20K pair of Wavacs to a different country and back. So the step down transformer just wont work or will risk damaging the amplifiers ???
So seems its a tube amp.
Do you know how many watts your amp consumes?

If your amp consumes 500W for safety reasons and to prevent the step transformer from heating up, it is suited use a 1000W step transformer, not to mention amperage.

Aways keep an eye on the temperature of the step transformer.

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2021, 06:30 pm »
Personally, I agree with FullRangeMan get the correct transformer made. I would never buy something I would need a step-up or step-down transformer for.

It’s like buying a right-hand drive car when you live in a left-hand drive country, I can’t do it.