Another way off the grid??

magnuska

Another way off the grid??
« on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:16 pm »
Hello!

This old man appearantly has his own solution for pure dc. Don' t know what you think Vinnie. Your way should be less expensive and better or...?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

//Magnus

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Another way off the grid??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:24 pm »
Hm: To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In

Mr.Takeo Morita may be relative from the world famous Akio Morita(Sony Co. founder and walk men father).

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2016, 03:19 pm »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

I enjoy sending articles like this to my wife. Love the quote:

"It’s completely beyond my understanding,” says his wife, Reiko, 57. “But if I take it away from him, he will lose the motivation to live.”

And from the Comments section:

"Obviously you're missing the 1960s German theater speakers. You need 50 year old hardware to really have the top of the line."

Cheers,
LSI

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2016, 12:15 am »
Very interesting article to read and see how these rich audiophiles ignore the awful main prob from the Jap electrical grid that is the low tension (100Volts only) delivered to the custumers.
120V in US military facilities.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2016, 01:51 am »
Hello!

This old man appearantly has his own solution for pure dc. Don' t know what you think Vinnie. Your way should be less expensive and better or...?

//Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the link.  That 82-year old man is still NOT off-the-grid, NOR is he getting DC from his personal utility pole (it's still AC feeding into his home).  :green:

While it is arguably better that the power transformer on his private pole is only feeding his audio system (instead of sharing it
with other homes that contain many sources of noise such as air conditioning, washer/dryers, dimmers, microwave ovens,
computers, TV, etc.), it is still tied to the grid and fed by the same grid power that feeds many others on the grid.  So he
is NOT isolated from it.  And from there, he is still feeding AC into the home and it is being converted to DC in his audio components.

But if it was worth the $40K to him and makes him happier listening to his music collection, then why not?  :wink:

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2016, 01:58 am »
Very interesting article to read and see how these rich audiophiles ignore the awful main prob from the Jap electrical grid that is the low tension (100Volts only) delivered to the custumers.
120V in US military facilities.

The J word is an ethnic slur the it would be nice to banish from our vocabularies......and minds.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2016, 02:27 am »
smps vs linear , grid vs battery , all good imho  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2016, 05:51 am »
Those fortunate audiophiles are now connected to the HV grid power plant, that I dont know how much is, in my area is 13,8KV, it have much less users.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2016, 10:56 am »
That 82-year old man is still NOT off-the-grid, NOR is he getting DC from his personal utility pole (it's still AC feeding into his home).  :green:

Vinnie, you need to expand into Japan!

I loved the part in the article about how some power companies will let you buy different colored poles. Sure to assuage the wife/neighbours ;)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2016, 09:10 pm »
Vinnie, you need to expand into Japan!

I loved the part in the article about how some power companies will let you buy different colored poles. Sure to assuage the wife/neighbours ;)

I'll get there!  A modular, ultracapacitor power supply is in the works, but I can't go into detail at this time  8)

Vinnie

Theobetley

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:31 pm »
Will this offer a standard set of dc output voltages or will it be an ac source?

magnuska

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2016, 02:45 pm »
Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the link.  That 82-year old man is still NOT off-the-grid, NOR is he getting DC from his personal utility pole (it's still AC feeding into his home).  :green:

While it is arguably better that the power transformer on his private pole is only feeding his audio system (instead of sharing it
with other homes that contain many sources of noise such as air conditioning, washer/dryers, dimmers, microwave ovens,
computers, TV, etc.), it is still tied to the grid and fed by the same grid power that feeds many others on the grid.  So he
is NOT isolated from it.  And from there, he is still feeding AC into the home and it is being converted to DC in his audio components.

But if it was worth the $40K to him and makes him happier listening to his music collection, then why not?  :wink:

Vinnie

Thanks for the explanation! When we moved to a new house 7 years ago I took the opportunity to install a better or dedicated wire for my musicsystem. Don`t know what it is called in English though. Can`t say it was much of an improvement to an ordinary outlet socket.

mirekti

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:54 pm »
I'll get there!  A modular, ultracapacitor power supply is in the works, but I can't go into detail at this time  8)

Vinnie

This could be really interesting.
Will it be AC or the devices will have to go through the modification (not sure what you can reveal)?
Is there anything else in the pipeline you could give us a hint about?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2016, 01:58 am »
This could be really interesting.
Will it be AC or the devices will have to go through the modification (not sure what you can reveal)?
Is there anything else in the pipeline you could give us a hint about?

Hi Theobetley / mirekti,

Regarding the power supply I'll be able to go into a lot more detail down the road.

And yes, there are definitely other things in the pipeline but it is too soon for me to mention them
yet.

All the best,

Vinnie