Anyone using the Remote Cartridge Loading (RCL) with the phono stage?

CarterB

I've read most of the reviews of the LIO on the web and pretty much every comment on this board, but I don't recall anyone talking about the RCL for the phono unit. Has anyone used? Care to share your thoughts?

I've the phono stage but I have a MM cartridge so the RCL isn't currently in my future but I do hope to go MC in the next year.

http://vinnierossi.com/store/#!/Remote-Cartridge-Loading-RCL/p/50466347/category=13223079

TomS

I've read most of the reviews of the LIO on the web and pretty much every comment on this board, but I don't recall anyone talking about the RCL for the phono unit. Has anyone used? Care to share your thoughts?

I've the phono stage but I have a MM cartridge so the RCL isn't currently in my future but I do hope to go MC in the next year.

http://vinnierossi.com/store/#!/Remote-Cartridge-Loading-RCL/p/50466347/category=13223079
I am using it with a Soundsmith Hyperion 2 low output cartridge. RCL is completely seamless and transparent as far as I can tell. According to Peter Ledermann, this cart likes ~1k ohm load which is a little unusual, but he recommends trying 500-1500 ohms to suit to tastes. Being able to adjust from listening position via remote just makes this so easy. By the way, I love the phono stage.

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
I agree that the phono stage is very good. If you are a set-it and forget-it type, some may find it unnecessary. However being able to adjust from the listening position can be fun.

Note however, that the link indicates that the adjustments can be made from 5 to 5000 ohms. Mine maxes out at 2000 ohms.

My only other complaint is sort of one of those non-complaints disguised as a complaint: Having 255 steps across the range seems a bit overkill, and it can actually take a while to step up or down from one end of the range to the other. The steps in many cases are about 3 ohms apart, and it seems a little silly to be adjusting and trying to hear differences across such tiny changes (like stepping down from 213...210...207...204...201...198...etc ...etc...). Having flexibility is nice, but I think having maybe even a 2-3 dozen set points would be more than enough rather than stepping through a couple hundred. Sometimes having fewer options may actually be a bit better than too many. Anyone that is going to try to listen critically to try to hear differences across so many tiny set-points is probably going to drive themselves crazy. But I guess this is really the ultimate in fine adjustments.   :D

ACHiPo

I am using it with a Soundsmith Hyperion 2 low output cartridge. RCL is completely seamless and transparent as far as I can tell. According to Peter Ledermann, this cart likes ~1k ohm load which is a little unusual, but he recommends trying 500-1500 ohms to suit to tastes. Being able to adjust from listening position via remote just makes this so easy. By the way, I love the phono stage.
Tom, NNCK,
I'm looking at the Lio to replace my Rowland Consummate line and phono stages.  When I went from a PSE hybrid preamp and Lehman BlackCube to the Consummate it was an epiphany of what's possible with an outstanding preamp.  I'm trying to assess how the Lio will compare to what I've become used to with the Consummate. 

What other phono stages have you listened to and how does the Lio compare?

Thanks,
Evan

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
Tom, NNCK,
I'm looking at the Lio to replace my Rowland Consummate line and phono stages.  When I went from a PSE hybrid preamp and Lehman BlackCube to the Consummate it was an epiphany of what's possible with an outstanding preamp.  I'm trying to assess how the Lio will compare to what I've become used to with the Consummate. 

What other phono stages have you listened to and how does the Lio compare?

Thanks,
Evan

I'm not sure that I can help too much. Prior to using the LIO, I had been using the built-in phono stage of a Modwright LS100 preamp. They have both worked quite well for this. Although the Modwright might have slightly more of a 'tube' sound, and the LIO is overall quieter, they actually sound more similar than anything else.

I'm still interested in what Vinnie has to say about the comments I made earlier in this thread. Especially about the RCL cartridge loading shown on the website as being 5-5000 ohms. Either something is wrong with mine, or that information is incorrect.

Vinnie R.

I'm not sure that I can help too much. Prior to using the LIO, I had been using the built-in phono stage of a Modwright LS100 preamp. They have both worked quite well for this. Although the Modwright might have slightly more of a 'tube' sound, and the LIO is overall quieter, they actually sound more similar than anything else.

I'm still interested in what Vinnie has to say about the comments I made earlier in this thread. Especially about the RCL cartridge loading shown on the website as being 5-5000 ohms. Either something is wrong with mine, or that information is incorrect.

hi nnck,

Yikes - sorry I missed your comment about this.

The website is mistaken. :oops:  - it is 5 to 2000 ohm.  I will fix that ASAP. 

Anyone that is going to try to listen critically to try to hear differences across so many tiny set-points is probably going to drive themselves crazy. But I guess this is really the ultimate in fine adjustments.   

Your point about the many RCL steps is something I agree with - John really wanted to offer as many as he could on the board.  It
is the ultimate in fine control over loading, but certainly not something everyone needs.  But being able to save your load settings and to switch between them (e.g. PH-2 and PH-2*  inputs, which are the same, but with a different load programmed) is very cool!

Thanks for all your posts,

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
I have the phonostage but not RCL because 95% of my listening is digital.  I understand I can change the impedance manually, but is that something I would do while first listening, and then killing the power, then moving the jumpers, and then restarting?  I've never done something like that and wouldn't really know what to listen for.  FWIW I'm using a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with the included Ortofon OM10 cartridge, listening mainly to rock, some jazz and classical. 

Second somewhat unrelated question.  I inherited an Akai Gx 4000-D reel-to-reel tape player from my mom.  Is that something that I could put into one of the RCA inputs on the phonostage?  I don't really have any albums on tape as of this moment but I thought I'd give it a try.

TomS

I have the phonostage but not RCL because 95% of my listening is digital.  I understand I can change the impedance manually, but is that something I would do while first listening, and then killing the power, then moving the jumpers, and then restarting?  I've never done something like that and wouldn't really know what to listen for.  FWIW I'm using a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with the included Ortofon OM10 cartridge, listening mainly to rock, some jazz and classical. 

Second somewhat unrelated question.  I inherited an Akai Gx 4000-D reel-to-reel tape player from my mom.  Is that something that I could put into one of the RCA inputs on the phonostage?  I don't really have any albums on tape as of this moment but I thought I'd give it a try.
There are dip switches inside on the phono module for setting the MC loading with 16 values, so yes you would power down, set the switches, power back up. The MM input is fixed at 47k, which is what I assume you're using with the OM10? In that case I don't think the switches change anything for MM.

The tape deck should just be a line level output, so use one of the 3 analog line inputs (not phono) and you're good to go.