Egglestonworks Fontaine floorstanding speakers

rockadanny

Re: Egglestonworks Fontaine floorstanding speakers
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2019, 12:31 pm »
I have an early pair of Andras and can attest to how bright the tweeter cut

@Jacksky -

:o   :scratch:  I've always felt (no pun intended  :) ) the Dynaudio Esotar was the least harsh of any tweeter I'd ever heard, and I'm extremely sensitive to high freqs. I wonder if there is something wrong with it (fluid failure?) or the L-pad (bad mod? part failure?)? It is about the only tweeter I've found smooth enough to not bother me for high freqs. Audio sure is a funny hobby.

I had a pair of felt anti-diffraction pads custom made for my Fontaines (exactly same upper TMM as Andra) by a person who used to be on AC. The felt is the proper type for anti-diffraction - all wool, very heavy and thick kind and very well made. I tried them off and on for quite some time. They do have an effect for sure - you may prefer them. In the end I decided to run without them because I find the tweeter is so laid back to my ears they constricted the high freqs too much.

Also, you may wish to call or e-mail Jim Thompson at Eggleston. He has always responded to my inquiries with helpful replies. Were it me, I'd call and speak with him about how the tweeters sound.