GR for lows & mids, Maggie TR for highs?

Danny Richie

Re: GR for lows & mids, Maggie TR for highs?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Dec 2012, 07:26 pm »
Well the reason for Maggie ribbons is that I already have a pair:=) So I need something to fill the gap between the basses and them.

I also noticed that there is a RD- line with full length ribbons, but did not quite get that are they more tweeters than mids..?

If you just upgrade the parts quality of the Maggies crossover then they can sound pretty good. Then adding the servo subs below is a good combo and very easy to do.

If it were me, I'd stick with that as a good starting point. Everything else is basically designing a whole new speaker.

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2012, 08:19 pm »
Wise words Danny, wise words... I know that is the easiest way, and maybe that is what I really should do.

But, since I'm anyway going to get DEQX for a crossover and build wooden frames for the speakers, basically what is left from Maggies is their drivers. So I'm just trying to figure out if there is any feasible way to get even better sound than what Maggies drivers can offer. I dunno, maybe not so easy task anyway...

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2012, 08:50 pm »
Wise words Danny, wise words... I know that is the easiest way, and maybe that is what I really should do.

But, since I'm anyway going to get DEQX for a crossover and build wooden frames for the speakers, basically what is left from Maggies is their drivers. So I'm just trying to figure out if there is any feasible way to get even better sound than what Maggies drivers can offer. I dunno, maybe not so easy task anyway...

I'd upgrade the crossover parts and wiring on the Maggies, then take the money you were going to spend on the DEQX and put it into a really good DAC instead. You'll be way ahead.