Something that just has to be shared. Check it out.

Danny Richie

This can be nothing but great for the industry. For those of you that have Facebook accounts go check this one out.

https://www.facebook.com/acousticsocietypurdue/

TomS

Re: Something that just has to be shared. Check it out.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2019, 04:51 pm »
I went to Purdue and took several EE/ME courses in acoustics. They had a very nice anechoic chamber even way back when (I'm old), but I'm sure it's much nicer now.

https://engineering.purdue.edu/Herrick/facilities/acoustics

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2019, 06:03 pm »
This can be nothing but great for the industry. For those of you that have Facebook accounts go check this one out.

https://www.facebook.com/acousticsocietypurdue/

Hey Danny, that's pretty cool.  Are those AV-1s?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2019, 06:10 pm »

Hey Danny, that's pretty cool.  Are those AV-1s?

Yes, they are. This is the third year I have made them a deal on them so that they can use them as their project speakers.

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2019, 06:18 pm »
You sir are a model for the industry.  Thanks for doing this.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2019, 07:08 pm »
Danny,
Very cool!  The students look excited, that is good thing!

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:18 pm »
Really cool   8) :thumb:

jay

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:25 pm »
Yes, they are. This is the third year I have made them a deal on them so that they can use them as their project speakers.
Big thumbs up!

:thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2019, 06:00 am »
Just found out there’s a Penn State one as well:
https://www.facebook.com/PennStateAES/

Hope there are a lot of them out there!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2019, 12:39 pm »
Wow!  What a neat idea!!  That looks vaguely familiar.  :lol:

Glad to hear that you have found a group to support.  Your help to my physics classes for years were part of the best education that came out of my classroom, and decades later, I'm still in your debt.  Thanks for being such a friend to education over the years.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2019, 01:51 pm »

Glad to hear that you have found a group to support.  Your help to my physics classes for years were part of the best education that came out of my classroom, and decades later, I'm still in your debt.  Thanks for being such a friend to education over the years.

Scott, I really enjoyed being part of your physics class projects. You always had a great group of kids and they were fortunate to have such a great little school and a great teacher. You taught them more than just physics. They got to apply what they learned, and make and build something with their hands. There is not enough of that in schools any more.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2019, 02:49 pm »

Future female audiophiles in the photo!  Thanks for posting it.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2019, 02:51 pm »
Scott, I really enjoyed being part of your physics class projects. You always had a great group of kids and they were fortunate to have such a great little school and a great teacher. You taught them more than just physics. They got to apply what they learned, and make and build something with their hands. There is not enough of that in schools any more.
"There is not enough of that in schools any more"....  I wonder if there are some good studies on this out there.  This should be in high school as well as college IMHO.  Teach kids to "think and build"!

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2019, 04:21 pm »
"There is not enough of that in schools any more"....  I wonder if there are some good studies on this out there.  This should be in high school as well as college IMHO.  Teach kids to "think and build"!

I agree 100%.

When I was in Junior High we had Shop Class. It consisted of drafting, offset printing, wood working, metal works, welding, and small engine repair.

And by high school we were building new engines for our cars and turning them into hot rods.

Back when my oldest daughter was a senior in high school she had a couple of guys show up at the house to go bike riding with her. One guy had a slow leak in a tire so my daughter had him pull around to our garage because she knew I had a compressor in there that she could use. While they were airing up a tire I told the kid that I had a patch kit for inter tubes on the shelf over there if he wanted to patch it. He looked at me like I was crazy. He had never worked on a bicycle before in his life. Apparently the kids today just take their bikes to the bike shop for repairs. Really? When I was a kid we were building our own bikes from parts and pieces of other bikes. What happened?  :duh:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2019, 06:05 pm »
I've seen this too.  My girlfriend's 26y/o son needed help assembling an IKEA dresser.  :scratch: 

Conversely, I gave my 18y/o niece an 80's Luxman integrated amp and a pair of modded X-LS for graduation/xmas.  Before I could help her set it up she figured it out by looking up You Tube videos!  :thumb: