HDMI to USB adaptor

mikeeastman

HDMI to USB adaptor
« on: 11 Jun 2018, 03:14 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I have a friend thats looking at getting either an Oppo or Sony player and would like to use an external Dac, would a HDMI to usb adaptor work for this?

Mike

Dynky

Re: HDMI to USB adaptor
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2018, 07:02 pm »
nope

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2018, 01:44 am »
Hey Mike,

I just looked at the Oppo 203 I have for sale and it has HDMI, Optical and Coax outputs. I would think that the optical and the coax outputs would work just fine for going into a dac that takes those inputs. Of course most of them do.

My understanding is the dac inside the Oppo is not that bad, I haven't heard it thou so can't speak from experience. If I were to have one I would use an external dac as well.

Here's a link to the Oppo 203 user manual.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP203/UDP-203_USER_MANUAL_ENGLISH_V1.0.pdf

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2018, 03:39 am »
Thanks, the problem with the optical and coxax is that it's limited to Wav and if you want to play DSD files most Dac only do that though USB.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2018, 04:47 am »
Thanks, the problem with the optical and coxax is that it's limited to Wav and if you want to play DSD files most Dac only do that though USB.

Since I only do redbook I didn't think about DSD capabilities.

Greg

A_shah

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2018, 08:35 am »
Hey Mike,

I just looked at the Oppo 203 I have for sale and it has HDMI, Optical and Coax outputs. I would think that the optical and the coax outputs would work just fine for going into a dac that takes those inputs. Of course most of them do.

My understanding is the dac inside the Oppo is not that bad, I haven't heard it thou so can't speak from experience. If I were to have one I would use an external dac as well.

Here's a link to the Oppo 203 user manual.

Yes both the Coax and the optical on the 203 work ! except it has to be one or the other I used the Coax to my PS AudioDirectStream  For the DAC and 203 as a transport , and the DAC on 203 is very good ! I had the analog out puts 7.1 channel sent to my Marantz SR 6006 receiver for home theater , the setup is far superior to the processor in the Marantz, today I sold the 203 to a AC member  in Ohio and will be shipping it out to him as I expect to pick up a 205 from the OPPO office in Menlo Park in the last week of June.  I thought of getting it modded by Dan but again I will be using it as a transport with the PS Audio Directstream so it does not make any sense to do that ! I have an extra older model Macmini I think it is a 2008 model which has a DVD player in it I had put some extra ram in that unit I was wondering if I could get that modded as a streamer ? :popcorn:
Asghar