Passive with Stratos???

macnewma

Passive with Stratos???
« on: 12 May 2003, 02:24 pm »
I am in the process of purchasing a used Stratos (I am waiting eagerly!!!), but since I am replacing an integrated (Jolida 1501RC), I don't have a preamp.

I have read about passives and I have a Channel Islands VPC-1 on the way that I am going to try.  I am also considering the Bent Audio 102s.

Does anyone have experience with mating a Stratos to a passive?  Which passives work better than others?  Should I just go ahead and fork over the dough for a Tempest? :D

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Max

BlackCat

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2003, 02:43 pm »
I run my Xtreme monoblocks with a passive pre - Monolithic Audio PA-1 Passive / Active Line Stage coupled with their HC-1 power supply.  This baby is passive until the volume control reaches the 12 o' clock position, then kicks in Class A dual mono amps.  With the Xtremes, I very seldomly need to turn the thing up to the 12 o' clock position.  The combination between the Odysseys and a passive is truly beautiful.  I also listened to the VPC-1 you are auditioning, I liked it a lot, especially for its price range, but I felt that on occasion, I needed that little extra boost I get from the "active" stage on the PA-1.  I think the audiophile term "transparent" is fully realized with an Odyssey amp setup and passive pre.  Enjoy yours when it gets there!

macnewma

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2003, 02:55 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance.  

That extra little oomph that an active provides and a passive doesn't, is my concern as well.   I guess I will just have to give it a shot.

I am not an EE, so I don't have a very good understanding of how the input impedance affects the synergy of components.  What is the makeup of the rest of your system?  What exactly are the "Extremes"?  Is this described on Odyssey.com?

I will have the stereo Stratos with cap upgrade.

Thanks,
Max

MaxCast

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2003, 03:15 pm »
Since you live in Indy see if you can get an audition of Odyssey's new passive preamp.  I think he sells if for $275.  At the MAF he talked about driving  16' I/C's with it.  I heard it and it sounded quite good.

I'd give Klaus a call and see if you can't borrow his show sample.  You can also ask him about what the extreme upgrade is.

macnewma

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2003, 03:51 pm »
That is a good idea.  I am not familiar with his passive.  I will ask him about it.

BTW, do you have any specific info on the passive?

Thanks,
Max

MaxCast

macnewma

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2003, 04:48 pm »
Thanks.  It sounds interesting.  I wonder how it sounds in comparison to the Tempest.  Big difference in price.

I will talk to Klaus about it.

Max

Eduardo AAVM

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2003, 05:33 pm »
Theorically it will not have any sound of it's own as it is completally passive.

All will depend on how your source sounds and how it matches with the Stratos.

A higher volt output source is desirable when going passive.

Anton

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2003, 01:33 am »
I use a Placette passive preamp (three input four outputs version) with my four Stratos monoblocks and it works wondeful: incredible transparency, bass, dynamics, slam, etc. There are single input versions available at Audiogon.

Chazz

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2003, 04:15 pm »
I have used a FT Audio LW-1 and it works great with the Stratos.  My source for it is a SMART DIO and I have no problem with the extra ooomph needed for dance music.

Charles

macnewma

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2003, 04:50 pm »
The Placette is fairly expensive.  I would probably just go with a Tempest if I were to spend that much.

I have thought about the FT Audio.  It does get very good reviews.  I will try one, along with the Etesian???, Odyssey's passive.  I have emailed Klaus about his passive, but he has not responded.

I will post my findings soon after I get my system setup and have time to listen to it.

Thanks for all the advice, I was worried that trying passives with the Stratos was a complete waste of time.

Max

drphoto

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2003, 11:33 pm »
You're always better off calling Klaus than emailing.

arthur

passive
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2003, 05:53 am »
actually i'm using the Scott Nixon TubeDac+ which has an output of only 1v running through the passive Creek OBH12. This works fine in my system since my speakers are quite efficient (Legacy Classics). When i turn up the volume all the way the output is right at the clipping level, which is in a sense perfect, since i don't have to worry about any one blowing my speakers... or at least i don't have to worry as much  :)

The sound is fairly transparent and clean, however i'm not very impressed with imaging and the sound is almost "too nutral", if that makes sense. i blame this on the passive pre amp (which retails for less than $300). this makes me want to try an active preamp but i really "need" to try both the Tempest and a couple of decent tube pre's in my system ... and somehow save enough $  :cry: , before i can make up my mind.  although, i would really not mind also trying out a better quality passive preamp.

i heard that scott nixon is developing a minimalist tube preamp that will have an equally minimalist price tag. he is hoping to put it out in mid summer.

For now, without having done any auditioning, i'm leaning a bit more toward the Tempest, however i wish i had a way to try all of these pre's in my system without loosing much $ in shipping costs.

but yeah, given my existing budget i guess i should be looking for used pre's   :evil:

macnewma

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2003, 12:09 am »
My CIAudio VPC-1 has arrived!!!

I don't have anything to compare it to with my Odyssey (which is new to me as well) but it sounds quite good so far.  It does have a laid back sound to it, but I haven't listened to the Odyssey with anything else so it is hard to judge.  I do like the sound and that is what counts.  Oh and it is plenty loud    8)

Unfortunately, my Stratos does not seem to like the AC in my apartment.  I had this trouble before with my Jolida, but it is much worse with my Stratos.  I am guessing that either my line is exceptionally dirty and/or their is some DC on my AC.  I am going to search the board and post this as a separate thread.

Thanks for everyone's advice on passives!

Max

Marbles

Passive with Stratos???
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2003, 12:48 am »
Could it be a ground loop hum?

The best thing is to call Klaus 317-299-5578 and he can walk you through a few things.

To find out if it is a ground loop problem you can briefly use a 3 prong to 2 prong "cheater" plug.

This is only to find out if you have a ground loop problem.  This can KILL you if not careful and not recomended by me or Odyssey on an ongoing basis!

arthur

hum
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2003, 05:26 pm »
my stratos and tuner have a hum to them too even though the only grounded componenet in my system is the stratos. i'm wondering if it might have something to do with some neon lights being connected to the same braker, which might affect things even when the lights are off