List of recommended amps for Omegas

RDavidson

Re: List of recommended amps for Omegas
« Reply #100 on: 30 Jan 2016, 03:14 pm »
+1^^^^^ :rotflmao:
Yeah.......look for poorly designed SS to get the best result from your Omegas. :duh:

vinagunner

« Reply #101 on: 31 Jan 2016, 09:23 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:37 am by vinagunner »

jorgen

« Reply #102 on: 31 Jan 2016, 09:49 pm »
What makes it a poorly designed amp?

RDavidson

« Reply #103 on: 1 Feb 2016, 12:00 am »
Maybe the MF AMS35i is poorly designed, who am I to tell? :roll:

But it surely make beautifull music through my Omegas. Very happy to learn that the speakers respond well to the increase of amp quality. Try one if you can get your hand on it. Surely the best SS Class A amp I've ever owned.

Edit: I run a KK DX808 sub with the Omega.

I was pointing at werd's comment about looking specifically for SS amps with 1% THD and less stout power supplies. That makes ZERO sense.

Folsom

« Reply #104 on: 1 Feb 2016, 12:15 am »
EI core transformers are not less stout. They can be any size, and typically sound better. I like to use them with my DIY7297 amp. So it actually fits werd's description somewhat well.

werd

« Reply #105 on: 1 Feb 2016, 12:26 am »
Maybe the MF AMS35i is poorly designed, who am I to tell? :roll:

But it surely make beautifull music through my Omegas. Very happy to learn that the speakers respond well to the increase of amp quality. Try one if you can get your hand on it. Surely the best SS Class A amp I've ever owned.

Edit: I run a KK DX808 sub with the Omega.

I was not referring to SS Class A amps actually but only class A/B.

RDavidson

« Reply #106 on: 1 Feb 2016, 01:19 am »
EI core transformers are not less stout. They can be any size, and typically sound better. I like to use them with my DIY7297 amp. So it actually fits werd's description somewhat well.

OK. But would you say an amp with 1% THD (during normal or "easy" operation) is ever a good thing to seek out?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #107 on: 1 Feb 2016, 01:24 am »
omegas regularly use tubes with 5% - 10% thd so what's the fuss about??? :scratch:

werd

« Reply #108 on: 1 Feb 2016, 01:26 am »
OK. But would you say an amp with 1% THD (during normal or "easy" operation) is ever a good thing to seek out?

I didn't say that, I said rated at 1khz THD but also meant power too. I didn't say 1%.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #109 on: 1 Feb 2016, 01:33 am »
Mr Davidson implies class-A ss and his favorite designer Mr Pass,cant argue with that... :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #110 on: 1 Feb 2016, 01:46 am »

That's not what werd said, but honestly it doesn't really matter. It's not significant enough that you'd know about it. People pay BIG bucks for Lamm amplifiers rated all the way up to 3% distortion. Distortion is an indicator, not determiner, of sound. Certain types of circuits will inherently sound bad with more distortion, others it won't matter until it's very high. But in general it's just convenient marketing when your product works well with low distortion, so you can play it up like it's an advantage.

RDavidson

« Reply #111 on: 1 Feb 2016, 03:28 am »
OK. I misinterpreted what werd said. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. But, as you alluded, he wasn't really implicating anything of real importance. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumb: I can't stand it when people try to throw their technical knowledge around just for the sake of 1-upping others and making things more confusing than they need be. :thumbdown:

Docere

« Reply #112 on: 1 Feb 2016, 10:13 am »
OK. I misinterpreted what werd said. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. But, as you alluded, he wasn't really implicating anything of real importance. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumb: I can't stand it when people try to throw their technical knowledge around just for the sake of 1-upping others and making things more confusing than they need be. :thumbdown:

Irony much.

I mostly lurk here and am not in the club, so may be overstepping. I apologise if that is the case. I feel someone has to communicate this politely: please review your posts and be aware of what you post. Perhaps it would be best if you can take your own advice and stay on topic.

Regards.

RDavidson

« Reply #113 on: 1 Feb 2016, 03:18 pm »
I appreciate where you're coming from. I am human. I make mistakes from time to time and try not to repeat them. But, you realize everything you just did was impolite too, right? Apologizing ahead of time and saying "please" doesn't somehow make butting into a conversation, just to publicly call someone out and point out their fault, excusable. It is pretentious and rude. Before you tell others to be more self-aware, perhaps it would best for you to take your own advice as well.

Werd, I'm sorry for being rude earlier. It was uncalled for and not adult-like of me. :oops:

Everyone else, especially the good folks at Omega Speakers, I apologize for my poor manners and further taking the thread off topic. I'll do better. :oops:

Docere

« Reply #114 on: 2 Feb 2016, 07:38 pm »
I appreciate where you're coming from. I am human. I make mistakes from time to time and try not to repeat them. But, you realize everything you just did was impolite too, right? Apologizing ahead of time and saying "please" doesn't somehow make butting into a conversation, just to publicly call someone out and point out their fault, excusable. It is pretentious and rude. Before you tell others to be more self-aware, perhaps it would best for you to take your own advice as well.

Most importantly, you took some advice that will hopefully lead to more open, less personally critical exchanges in the future. Thank you for your understanding and graciousness.

Edit: removed my sleep-deprivation triggered rant. It was unhelpful and not likely to contribute to a positive outcome. I will attempt to stay on topic in future, if I post at all. Apologies to all.

Regards.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2016, 03:59 am by Docere »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #115 on: 2 Feb 2016, 09:50 pm »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 2 Feb 2016, 10:00 pm »
When you recommend an amp that works well with Omega speakers, it would be nice if you upload a picture(s) of the amp.  People love pictures.
Awhile back Louis was telling me of a customer who had good success with the Schiit Ragnarok.  Nice, affordable, and made in America.

werd

« Reply #117 on: 2 Feb 2016, 10:50 pm »

Werd, I'm sorry for being rude earlier. It was uncalled for and not adult-like of me. :oops:

Everyone else, especially the good folks at Omega Speakers, I apologize for my poor manners and further taking the thread off topic. I'll do better. :oops:

No need to apologize. You're opinion of my post was not out of line.  I admit my post was not clear. 

werd

« Reply #118 on: 2 Feb 2016, 11:11 pm »
I would be searching out for this Huxley Scientific Aquila. 13 watt dual mono class A integrated

:thumb:

Sense63

« Reply #119 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:15 pm »
EAR 869--- 15 wpc of single ended bliss.