Coupling versus Decoupling Speakers

Martyn

Re: Coupling versus Decoupling Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2014, 03:55 pm »
While spikes couple speaker cabinets to the floor, they do so only through point contact. I believe this is much better than sitting them directly on the floor, because the area of contact and thus the transmission path is vastly reduced and the amplitude of the exciting frequency is probably lower too. Nonetheless, they are still coupled, which is not what we want, hence the need to use resilient mounts.

For optimal isolation, we should choose the mounts to suit the mass and exciting frequency. Of course, for speakers we have a full range of exciting frequencies, so we try to damp the worst resonances if we know where they are, or more typically we just buy something that someone recommended.

I have a simple practice for choosing a resilient mount: I pick one that compresses under the weight of the cabinet, but not too much (certainly less than 50%). A small mount under a heavy box will be pressed solid and will no longer be resilient, while a big mount under a light box won't know the box is there. I look for soft polyurethane and experiment until I get the compression about right. I would do this for a concrete floor too - vibration moves in both directions - but each to his own!

greg92

« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2014, 10:31 pm »
Mountain Ear, I have the same speakers.  I put Soudocity's steel spike outriggers on my speakers and noticed bass tighten-up and better mid-range. Aren't they really great sounding speakers?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2014, 02:19 am »
The Heils are nice, I just rebuilt some vintage ESS AMT3 with the "great heil" tweeter.

My feeling is the iso l8r stands decouple speaker cabinets very effectively.... I ordered 2 more to place under my speaker stands. The stands are currently on spikes similar to greg92. Should be interesting...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2014, 04:04 am »
There's no contest, the iso stands make for a fairly large improvement vs my current method of support, which is (was) 1 lb brass spikes on pads with thick wool felt. The bass through the upper mids sound clearer. Imaging is better, my system sounds "bigger"... My feeling is these may be worth looking into no matter what you happen to be using currently, they may be quite a bit better.  And I'm sure most places have return policies if not.

As far as what the stands do, the amount of movement that is allowed (in the horizontal plane) is relatively large, the force required to produce movement is very low, and there is almost no "stiction". So, the feeling the speaker cabinets are "floating" is much different than other stands because of this, and I would guess the amount of decoupling they provide exceeds that of most speaker stands or other decoupling devices.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2014, 11:26 am »

One of my early prototypes.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2014, 05:34 pm »
Cool, didn't know you made a stand.  :thumb: 

Do you sell them or did you make them for yourself?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2014, 06:03 pm »
There's always one of these:

This is my second design. I found a plasma cutter who turns my ideas around fast