Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

Captainhemo

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #460 on: 2 Dec 2017, 11:53 pm »
And, if you want to take them even further,   do a point to point wired network, upgrade the inductors ... I've been using the  .022 uF pltiums for bypass caps on the cap in the high pass filter  and a  .1 uF Jupiter Copper o nthe low pass  filter cap.  Also,   go for the no-rez if you didn't orignally do so.

I have a buddy who has ben demo'ing the last pair   we built , he's been blowing people away  with them  ( X LS Encores).   
I've got a couple more things to try on the next pair   :wink:

The cost does go up... but when yo uo look at the cost of the speakers these will  outperform, they are still a  screaming deal

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #461 on: 3 Dec 2017, 04:09 am »
And, if you want to take them even further,   do a point to point wired network, upgrade the inductors ... I've been using the  .022 uF pltiums for bypass caps on the cap in the high pass filter  and a  .1 uF Jupiter Copper o nthe low pass  filter cap.  Also,   go for the no-rez if you didn't orignally do so.

I have a buddy who has ben demo'ing the last pair   we built , he's been blowing people away  with them  ( X LS Encores).   
I've got a couple more things to try on the next pair   :wink:

The cost does go up... but when yo uo look at the cost of the speakers these will  outperform, they are still a  screaming deal

jay

Point to point is how I’ve built all the Encore series crossovers. I didn’t always use Platinum bypass caps (sometimes I used Sonicap Gen II’s). I also used tube connectors. That includes the turquoise inlaid ambrosia maple X-CS Encores I took to LSAF in 2016.

Not too many people heard them but those that did were impressed.

Now Danny’s not the only one making more work for you  :icon_twisted:

Mike

Oscillate

« Reply #462 on: 4 Dec 2017, 01:37 pm »
Point to point wiring sounds very doable. In fact, replacing the existing crossovers in the other 3 X-CSs
and the 2 X-Omnis with completely new upgraded point to point crossovers will probably be easier than
trying to upgrade the existing crossovers.

I would like to throw any business Danny's way that I can as far as the pieces parts required. What
coils, caps and resistors would you folks recommend? For example what was the verdict on the new
breed of Jantzen coils that were being discussed a while back. I know that Danny prefers Sonicaps for
their neutrality and clarity, but what about the Mundorf silver/oils? Or the Jupiter Cu's. Are Mills resistors
the way to go or might Vishay/Deuland/Takman offer better sound? What combinations have you guys
found to really make the X-CS Encores and X-Omni Encore series sing? Thanks.

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #463 on: 4 Dec 2017, 04:39 pm »
Danny,  Do you still have the x-omni kits?  They aren't listed on your webpage.

Danny Richie

« Reply #464 on: 4 Dec 2017, 04:59 pm »
Danny,  Do you still have the x-omni kits?  They aren't listed on your webpage.

I didn't have many of the completed crossovers for that model. But I do have a completed pair in a dark Cherry type finish that are un-boxed. I need to do something with them. Let me know if you are interested and I'll make you a deal.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #465 on: 4 Dec 2017, 07:07 pm »
Point to point wiring sounds very doable. In fact, replacing the existing crossovers in the other 3 X-CSs
and the 2 X-Omnis with completely new upgraded point to point crossovers will probably be easier than

I would like to throw any business Danny's way that I can as far as the pieces parts required. What
coils, caps and resistors would you folks recommend? For example what was the verdict on the new
breed of Jantzen coils that were being discussed a while back. I know that Danny prefers Sonicaps for
their neutrality and clarity, but what about the Mundorf silver/oils? Or the Jupiter Cu's. Are Mills resistors
the way to go or might Vishay/Deuland/Takman offer better sound? What combinations have you guys

For my part, I liked the Clarity Cap MR's bypassed with Jupiter Copper foil/waxpaper capacitors and I preferred the Jantzen copper foil/waxpaper inductors. 

If I could afford 10uf and 15uf sized Jupiters, I'd just get them and forget the Clarity Caps altogether.  But alas, not in the budget....

Captainhemo

« Reply #466 on: 4 Dec 2017, 07:43 pm »

The last few pairs,  I've used teh Erse XO inductors that Danny  supplies.  The next pair we build out will use the   Gortz Alpha Core Foil inductors (also available from Danny).   I know there  has been lots of talk regarding the new Jantzen  wax / foil inductors and many have had good results with them.  we've used the Jantzen's in a  pair of NX-trme networks and they souind great   but  to say they are  better than the  Gortz alpha  cores is hard  ...... we did some direct compairions between a   gortz and a jantzen on an Otic-MTm  and there  was little difference... to say one  was better  than the other would be a stretch.  I'm sure results will vary.... .

For the caps, you're geting into some prety big values to be  upgrading from the Sonicaps.... pretty expensive going "botiique"  on these.  Far better off   using some  very good bypass caps.   I've tried the  cross over  stock  bypass cap, the Sonicap GiII & Platinum, and the Jupiter Copper as bypass caps on the high pass filter cap,   our preference here is the  Platinums.

For the cap in the low pass filter,  we've tried  a  Sonicap Gen II, a Jupiter Copper, and the German   Vishey Roderstein .   Will likely continue to use the Jupiter copper here but the  SC GII and the ViR  are both far less expensive  and  do a great  job.

As mentioned above, use the tube connectors and no-rez  :thumb:
HTH's

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #467 on: 4 Dec 2017, 07:50 pm »
For my part, I liked the Clarity Cap MR's bypassed with Jupiter Copper foil/waxpaper capacitors and I preferred the Jantzen copper foil/waxpaper inductors. 

If I could afford 10uf and 15uf sized Jupiters, I'd just get them and forget the Clarity Caps altogether.  But alas, not in the budget....

In the  NX-treme networks, we used the new Clarity CMR's  (CSA's <-- low pass filer bundle).  We bypassed the   midrange bundle with a Jupiter Copper, the high low  pass with Dueland  Silver PIO with  exellent results.  Even the  As soon as you move up to the  MR/CMR  line of Clarity, the price is signifigant compared to the  Sonicap g1's which are very good  when combined with a  good bypass cap.   zthey are also   BIG and would take up a  lot of space inside  an monitor.

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #468 on: 4 Dec 2017, 07:55 pm »
In the  NX-treme networks, we used the new Clarity CMR's  (CSA's <-- low pass filer bundle).  We bypassed the   midrange bundle with a Jupiter Copper, the high low  pass with Dueland  Silver PIO with  exellent results.  Even the  As soon as you move up to the  MR/CMR  line of Clarity, the price is signifigant compared to the  Sonicap g1's which are very good  when combined with a  good bypass cap.   zthey are also   BIG and would take up a  lot of space inside  an monitor.

jay

All very true!  I went with the MR's because my speakers are the Super 7's and they show more difference between caps than a lot of other speakers.  Like I said, if I could just get the big Jupiters I would :)  But Jupiters are great bypass caps, especially on the mids.  Using Dueland on the highs, hmm that's something I hadn't thought of, and might be even better than what I have. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #469 on: 4 Dec 2017, 08:59 pm »
All very true!  I went with the MR's because my speakers are the Super 7's and they show more difference between caps than a lot of other speakers.  Like I said, if I could just get the big Jupiters I would :)  But Jupiters are great bypass caps, especially on the mids.  Using Dueland on the highs, hmm that's something I hadn't thought of, and might be even better than what I have.

I tried the Jupiter coppers  as bypass nthe  Peerless tweeter and didn't like them as much as the  Platinums in  that position. I have not tried them   as bypass's using a Neo3 or  GR Neo3 yet.
We got luck on the Duelands, got a  few pairs of them for cheap ... a guy   had been building a preamp  and tried  a number of different caps..... these he decied he didn't  want so we grabbed them.  verdict is still out   using them with the  Clarity CMR on the   GR Neo3 in the deep waveguide...... pretty  dam  clean.
I think it would be interesting to  campare a  Clarity CMr  , say a 10 or 12 uF with a   Jupiter copper  10 / 12uF to see  if there is any  audiable difference.   Big price diff, not so sure there'd be  such a huge   acoustic diff   :scratch:

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #470 on: 5 Dec 2017, 02:17 pm »
On my mini stratas I used Clarity CSA on the mids and kept the sonicaps on the tweeters.  I also bypassed the sonicaps with old Russian FT-3 teflon caps which worked better than I expected.  I'm still tempted to try CMRs on the tweeters.  I really like them in my tube preamp.

On my X-Statiks I stuck to sonicaps with platinum and gen II bypass caps.  I've tried other caps but for some reason the encore tweeters sound best with sonicaps.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #471 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:05 pm »
On all the ones I’ve built I use Sonicaps, Erse  XQ inductors, Mills resistors, and either Sonicap Gen II or Platinum by-pass caps.

When I build for myself I use Platinum by-pass caps in both the woofer and tweeter circuits.

I haven’t tried foil inductors yet. I have doubted that my electronics were resolving enough to hear any difference. I might be getting to a point where that is no longer the case but I don’t know for sure.

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2017, 07:22 pm by mlundy57 »

lacro

« Reply #472 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:49 pm »
I have doubted thart my electronics were resolving enough to hear any difference. I might be getting to a point where where that is no longer the case but I don’t know for sure.

Mike, did you ever finish the Folsom amp?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #473 on: 5 Dec 2017, 07:21 pm »
Mike, did you ever finish the Folsom amp?

Larry,

Haven't even started on it  :oops:

Mike

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #474 on: 2 Apr 2021, 10:35 am »
It's been a while since someone posted here. Are these kits still being sold? BTW, is the schematic of the X-over available for download?

grubyhalo

« Reply #475 on: 2 Apr 2021, 03:51 pm »
Hello Cap'n! Hope youre doing well. :)

Everyone else, apologies for the OT...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #476 on: 2 Apr 2021, 05:10 pm »
It's been a while since someone posted here. Are these kits still being sold? BTW, is the schematic of the X-over available for download?

I'm pretty sure all the X-series kits are available when parts are in stock. Sometimes supply chain issues can cause a delay though.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #477 on: 3 Apr 2021, 04:12 pm »
Rajesh, you can check out the kits at the link below or give Danny a call. The crossover schematics come as a part of the kit but are not available for general download as they are intellectual property of Danny’s design.

https://www.gr-research.com/store/c7/X-Series.html