Review of the VDA-2.

SatoriGFX

Review of the VDA-2.
« on: 23 Feb 2007, 12:15 am »
Just read this review of the VDA-2 on Audioasylum.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/126982.html

Thought some of you might be interested.

Adam.

elg2001

Re: Review of the VDA-2.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2007, 07:01 pm »
I have the VDA-2 and VAC1 and it's a good combo.

I can't really tell if they're "great" or not because currently I have great speakers but a really crappy amp. New hypex amp should be on its way soon.

If you're considering this thing, ignore reviews. Look at bench numbers. Those don't lie. The numbers on this unit are OUTSTANDING. My ears say the same. I wish I had that new amp already so I could report the true performance of this unit... :(

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2007, 07:31 pm »
If you're considering this thing, ignore reviews. Look at bench numbers. Those don't lie. The numbers on this unit are OUTSTANDING. My ears say the same. I wish I had that new amp already so I could report the true performance of this unit...

BAD ADVICE!
The numbers can tell you certain things, but won't tell you what it sounds like in your system.
We listen to music with our ears...use them to make your decision.  :wink:

Psychicanimal

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2007, 01:26 am »
If you're considering this thing, ignore reviews. Look at bench numbers. Those don't lie. The numbers on this unit are OUTSTANDING. My ears say the same. I wish I had that new amp already so I could report the true performance of this unit...

BAD ADVICE!
The numbers can tell you certain things, but won't tell you what it sounds like in your system.
We listen to music with our ears...use them to make your decision.  :wink:

This guy needs to fly to the Caribbean and listen to my nearfield sat/subs system.  I'll have a portable defibrilator on hand... :duh:

Dusty, the water is crystal clear because it's dry season!  The weather is breezy and around 85 degrees.  The beaches are populated by ladies of all colors and complexions plus the Psychic and his two bitches...Yuisa, a Chiweenie & Mara, a Caribbean Labrador puppy!

Next is the rain forest... :thumb:

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2007, 05:03 am »
Dusty, the water is crystal clear because it's dry season!  The weather is breezy and around 85 degrees.  The beaches are populated by ladies of all colors and complexions plus the Psychic and his two bitches...Yuisa, a Chiweenie & Mara, a Caribbean Labrador puppy!

Would love to be there...
We're prepping everything for the move to the new shop/showroom and will be way too busy for the next few months to go anywhere  :(

I'm excited about our new place though...the lab is gonna be really nice...lotsa new tech benches and test equipment to play with, and a nice 25' x 22' listening room :D

elg2001

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2007, 06:36 pm »
Listening to it yourself is probably the best bet, but what if you're reasearching online?

Most "audiophiles" have no idea what they're talking about, so it's usually more useful to look at bench tests from a well-controlled lab. Unless you have a trustworthy, intelligent audiophile that you know. Then that could be the better route. Thus far, I've had really good luck by relying on bench tests. You can't make those lie (assuming the product was tested correctly).

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2007, 06:46 pm »
hmmmmm...when i was a little kid my dad took me to a local Circuit City to buy a new receiver.
in our price range was a JVC that put out something like 120wpc and an Onkyo that put out 1/2 that.

I went ga ga over the power since Dad had cool old Wharfdale's (with the sand packed tweeter no less)
that seemed power hungry.   Dad begrudgingly bought the JVC.   When we took it home it barely powered
the speaks so back it went and in went the Onkyo, which to this day still makes great music.

usually the only #'s i look at are the total price... :o

ya know, one of the best parts of the reviews I've read re: Channel Island gear is that rarely are they done with the VAC-1, or any other aftermarket goodies like RAL umbilical or aftermarket pc's for the vac-1. 

Its great knowing CI gear certainly doesn't require the add-ons, but, being able to ratchet up the bass, imaging and overall enjoyment for incremental additional $ amounts is music to my ears.

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2007, 06:57 pm »
Most "audiophiles" have no idea what they're talking about, so it's usually more useful to look at bench tests from a well-controlled lab. Unless you have a trustworthy, intelligent audiophile that you know. Then that could be the better route. Thus far, I've had really good luck by relying on bench tests. You can't make those lie (assuming the product was tested correctly).

If you have to purchase products "unheard", it's best to buy things with a return policy so your ears can be the judge. Researching on line is difficult, but you can get useful information from others who have compared several products and described the differences they heard.

Numbers can be easily manipulated...for example, I could use an AES17 brick wall filter and show much better graphs of VDA-2. Many companies don't even measure their equipment, they just pass on measurements by the part manufacturer (which have been manipulated as described above).

SatoriGFX

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:29 am »
Listening to it yourself is probably the best bet, but what if you're reasearching online?

I've found reading multiple reviews by both pro reviewers and users as well to be very helpfull in choosing components (making sure you take their associated equipment/rooms/tastes into account).  My current system (SlimDevices Squeezebox 3, CIAudio VDA-2/VAC-1, Simaudio I-5, JM Reynaud Twin Signatures) sounds pretty much as I expected it to based on what I "read" before I bought.

Adam.

wildberger

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:31 am »

hey dusty- I received yesterday the VDA-2. I am very pleased and satisfied with your service and the sound of the dac. I am not one to be able to distinguish much difference in cables and other small changes with in my system. The VDA-2 though, has made an audible difference. The music is extending further into the frequency extremes and has expanded the musical field in general. It's just clearer and more immediate. (more analog-like...no edginess)

I feel fairly treated and can recommend the VAC-2 with the VAC power supply with no reservations.

thanks for the serendipity of the 10th year anniversary sale just as I was ready to buy.---len

Psychicanimal

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2007, 01:20 am »

Would love to be there...
We're prepping everything for the move to the new shop/showroom and will be way too busy for the next few months to go anywhere  :(

I'm excited about our new place though...the lab is gonna be really nice...lotsa new tech benches and test equipment to play with, and a nice 25' x 22' listening room :D

Showroom?  Will you have a fully *Dusty style* hot-rodded Technics 1200?   

When hooked up with your phono pre, a nice Shure V15III/JICO SAS stylus & the Von Fokker speakers it would make quite a few snobs need on the spot defibrilation!   :icon_twisted:

For the time being audio is on the back burner.  I'm going back to the ocean with my two bitches.......and like my signature states, not everything is audio.  :nono:

You'd like deep sea fishing here...fresh marlin steak BBQ beats hamburgers!!!

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2007, 02:31 am »
Showroom?  Will you have a fully *Dusty style* hot-rodded Technics 1200?   

When hooked up with your phono pre, a nice Shure V15III/JICO SAS stylus & the Von Fokker speakers it would make quite a few snobs need on the spot defibrilation!   

I'll stick with the VPI/Dynavector combo I like  :lol: