VDA•2 Now Shipping!

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« on: 16 Dec 2005, 06:26 am »
The new VDA•2 is now shipping in limited supply.

Preliminary info is on our website...more info and photos to come over the weekend.
http://www.ciaudio.com

-Dusty-

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2005, 07:59 pm »
On the VDA•2 product page, the link labeled "VRX•1 Balanced Cable Pair" is a dead link.

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2005, 09:26 pm »
Preliminary info is on our website...more info and photos to come over the weekend.

On the VDA•2 product page, the link labeled "VRX•1 Balanced Cable Pair" is a dead link.

You are correct...the page has preliminary info only and will be completed over the weekend as stated above.

You can read more about the VRX•1 on page 2 of the pdf instruction manual.

-Dusty-

brj

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2005, 09:36 pm »
Dusty, is there any chance that you would consider adding a USB input to your DAC at somepoint?

Thanks!

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2005, 09:54 pm »
Dusty, is there any chance that you would consider adding a USB input to your DAC at somepoint?

Possibly at some point, but only if the semiconductor manufacturers come out with a high performance part for this purpose.
Most current USB DAC's use the PCM2902 (or equiv) which has very mediocre performance. The others use good discrete circuits but are a few thousand $$$.

For computer based audio systems, I still think the best route is to use a soundcard with an optical or coaxial output.

Grover

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:52 pm »
Well, I've printed out the VDA2 product page and CIAudio's contact information, and stuffed both into my wife's purse.  
If that doesn't count as a "Christmas Present Hint" I don't know know what does.   :D

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2005, 06:38 pm »
Well, I've printed out the VDA2 product page and CIAudio's contact information, and stuffed both into my wife's purse.
If that doesn't count as a "Christmas Present Hint" I don't know know what does.

That's funny! My wife changed the default link on my browser from the BMW forum to a page showing the necklace she wants from Tiffany & Co.

-Dusty-

giorgino1

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2005, 11:10 pm »
Hi Dusty

It was good to talk to you. I managed to find the UK company you recommended - Angelsound Audio. I guess the VDA2 is so new, they wouldn't have it in stock yet so I'll wait until the New Year.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the sonic characteristics between the old and the new units. Also, I have the Audionote CDT2 as well as the Pioneer 757 Universal Player as transports to try. How sestitive is the VDA2 to various disk spinners?

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Regards

George

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2005, 11:39 pm »
It was good to talk to you. I managed to find the UK company you recommended - Angelsound Audio. I guess the VDA2 is so new, they wouldn't have it in stock yet so I'll wait until the New Year.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the sonic characteristics between the old and the new units. Also, I have the Audionote CDT2 as well as the Pioneer 757 Universal Player as transports to try. How sestitive is the VDA2 to various disk spinners?

Hi George,

Angelsound will be getting VDA-2 soon..we're just finishing up all the backorders and starting to ship new orders.

VDA-2 is a substantial performance increase from VDA-1...better bass, imaging, detail, and just more harmonically rich and "musical". It doesn't exhibit any "thinness" or glare usually associated with digital playback. It's no more or less sensitive to transports than most DAC's, but we've had great perfomance with even inexpensive DVD players as a transport.

-Dusty-

unityaudio.ca

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2005, 04:08 am »
Does this mean the VDA1 is no longer being produced?

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2005, 04:48 am »
Yes, VDA-1 has been discontinued.

studley

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2005, 06:08 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio

Possibly at some point, but only if the semiconductor manufacturers come out with a high performance part for this purpose.
Most current USB DAC's use the PCM2902 (or equiv) which has very mediocre performance.

Dusty
Pardon my ignorance: is the PCM 2902 a DAC that accepts a USB type signal, or is it a device that converts a USB signal to SPDIF?

Ian

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2005, 06:40 pm »

Pardon my ignorance: is the PCM 2902 a DAC that accepts a USB type signal, or is it a device that converts a USB signal to SPDIF?

It can be used either way.

giorgino1

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2006, 06:35 pm »
Hi Dusty

Just a note to say that I've placed my order with Keith at AngelSound Audio for the 1st batch of VDA2/VAC2.  :D
I'm looking forward to listening to the units and will give my feedback when they run-in properly.

Kind regards

George

ghersh

Re: VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2006, 10:23 pm »
The new VDA•2 is now shipping in limited supply.
-Dusty-

What would be some of the recommended players/transports to use with VDA-2?

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2006, 09:43 pm »
We've used everything from $50 DVD players to a $1300 Sony and had good results with all. As with all DAC's, the better the transport, the better the overall performance.

Charles Calkins

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2006, 11:53 pm »
Dusty:
  Would you consider putting together a system. CD transport.VDA-2 Dac and a VAC-1 power supply.
 I'm thinking that if it all comes from you it will be done right and a dumdum like me wouldn't have to be pissing up a fuzzy rope looking for the right CD transport.

Cheers
           Charlie

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2006, 03:56 am »
Would you consider putting together a system. CD transport.VDA-2 Dac and a VAC-1 power supply.
I'm thinking that if it all comes from you it will be done right and a dumdum like me wouldn't have to be pissing up a fuzzy rope looking for the right CD transport.

Unfortunately, we don't make or stock any players. I'm currently using very inexpemsive players in my own systems (old Pioneer 414 & a newer 563) and get very good performance from both. In a digital playback system, I feel about 75-80% of the performance is the DAC, and about 20-25% Transport & cable.

I always suggest trying a few different digital cables as all transports/DACs are not exactly the same impedance. A well matched cable will have less reflection (cable induced jitter), resulting in a smoother, more open sound.

ghersh

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2006, 10:29 pm »

I always suggest trying a few different digital cables as all transports/DACs are not exactly the same impedance. A well matched cable will have less reflection (cable induced jitter), resulting in a smoother, more open sound.

This is exactly why it would be nice to have some specific recommendations on transports and matching connectors.

Incidently, how about optical interface? There shouldn't be any impedance matching problem, right?

CIAudio

VDA•2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2006, 12:19 am »
Incidently, how about optical interface? There shouldn't be any impedance matching problem, right?

Optical interface does not have impedance (uses light pulses through a fiber-optic cable). The Toslink input receiver is impedance matched internally.