Preamp tube rolling

bunkertoy

Preamp tube rolling
« on: 5 Jan 2024, 12:28 am »
Hi Everyone,
Happy New Year.

I'm looking to get some tubes to roll through my VTL 2.5 preamp. I recently got some new speakers, so I wanted to play with some tubes.
I'm doing my research to find some decent tubes.
My Question is : I have 4 tubes in my preamp 2-12AU7(Gain section), 2 - 12AT7(Buffer section).
Should I focus on the Gain section 12AU7 tubes or the Buffer section 12AT7 ?. I believe the answer is Gain section. Should I even bother getting nice tubes for the buffer section ?
Thoughts and opinions always welcome.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Preamp tube rolling
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2024, 12:49 am »
Hi Everyone,
Happy New Year.

I'm looking to get some tubes to roll through my VTL 2.5 preamp. I recently got some new speakers, so I wanted to play with some tubes.
I'm doing my research to find some decent tubes.
My Question is : I have 4 tubes in my preamp 2-12AU7(Gain section), 2 - 12AT7(Buffer section).
Should I focus on the Gain section 12AU7 tubes or the Buffer section 12AT7 ?. I believe the answer is Gain section. Should I even bother getting nice tubes for the buffer section ?
Thoughts and opinions always welcome.
The tubes are senile?
VTL factory tubes usually are quite good.
IMO replace the tubes when they get old.
Constant tube changes made looseness in the sockets pins.

bunkertoy

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2024, 01:06 am »
I'm currently running Tung-sol in the gain section. Been there for a year without swamping

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2024, 01:24 am »
Hello and Welcome bunkertoy,

The gain position will have the greatest effect on the sound quality.  The buffer position will make very little difference.

Nice preamp, BTW.

bunkertoy

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2024, 02:01 am »
Thanks Jake,
 that's what I thought. Just makes it easier to spend on the 12AU7 instead of AT7. much appreciate you confirming my thoughts.
Thanks I'm loving the VTL 2.5 preamp, only wish it had balanced connections. My Bel Canto 3.7 DAC  performs best with XLR outs.

Cheers