New Copper Caps and introductory pricing

morganc

Re: New Copper Caps and introductory pricing
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2020, 07:16 pm »
Anyone know what cap value would be needed for my Spatial X-5's? 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2020, 07:21 pm »
Anyone know what cap value would be needed for my Spatial X-5's?

Isn't the crossover visible in back?

morganc

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2020, 07:50 pm »
No not on mine!

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jun 2020, 06:30 pm »
Call Clayton   

jay

TexE4D

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:14 am »
Danny,

You directed me to this forum page from comments on the YouTube Sonus Faber Venere upgrade video. My initial question on the video was, do you ever use higher-end components in your XO designs and rebuilds.

I sent the follow inquire to Mundorf's information email, but have yet to receive a reply.

I want to upgrade the Mundorf components on my speaker crossovers.

I have a set of PAP Quintet15 Horn1 open baffle speakers with a two-way first order parallel crossover. The inductor for the low pass filter is the FERON ICore BS140-10 10 mH, 0.35 Ohm, and the capacitor for the high pass filter is the MCap250-33 33 microfarad.

Are the following items suitable upgrades for performance gains, and which out of the listed coils below would be the better choice?

Upgrade to:

Inductor MCoil AirCore CFC10-10 10 mH 0.50 Ohm,  or, VLCU-12-10 10 mH 0.71 Ohm,  or,  VL300-10 10 mH 0.38 Ohm

Capacitor MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold.Oil SESGO-33T2.600 33 microfarad

Are these the only values available? Is there a model for 33 microfarads?
Sonic wise, how do the Copper Caps compare to Mundorf's TOL cap?
Have you used these capacitors in any of your XO designs?

Thanks,
Eric Harrelson

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:42 am »
Danny,

You directed me to this forum page from comments on the YouTube Sonus Faber Venere upgrade video. My initial question on the video was, do you ever use higher-end components in your XO designs and rebuilds.

I sent the follow inquire to Mundorf's information email, but have yet to receive a reply.

I want to upgrade the Mundorf components on my speaker crossovers.

I have a set of PAP Quintet15 Horn1 open baffle speakers with a two-way first order parallel crossover. The inductor for the low pass filter is the FERON ICore BS140-10 10 mH, 0.35 Ohm, and the capacitor for the high pass filter is the MCap250-33 33 microfarad.

Are the following items suitable upgrades for performance gains, and which out of the listed coils below would be the better choice?

Upgrade to:

Inductor MCoil AirCore CFC10-10 10 mH 0.50 Ohm,  or, VLCU-12-10 10 mH 0.71 Ohm,  or,  VL300-10 10 mH 0.38 Ohm

Capacitor MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold.Oil SESGO-33T2.600 33 microfarad

Are these the only values available? Is there a model for 33 microfarads?
Sonic wise, how do the Copper Caps compare to Mundorf's TOL cap?
Have you used these capacitors in any of your XO designs?

Thanks,
Eric Harrelson

I am somewhat familiar with that design and some of the PAP designs in general. It is highly likely that they need a lot more help than just a parts upgrade. Chances of that single cap working with that driver are very slim.

They need some structural stability help as well.

I would highly recommend some on axis measurements using a gated time window (no room reflections) to see what is going on there.

And yes I have heard those caps in some A/B comparisons with other caps.

TexE4D

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jun 2020, 08:29 am »
Would I have to parallel a combination of these Copper Caps to achieve 33 microfarads?
Is the 50% off list correct?

Aside from learning how to do it, what do I need to perform the gated time window measurement, and what would that reveal?

maty

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:15 am »
Better image now, after to add [&size=huge]

https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=210841&size=huge

david45

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2020, 04:52 pm »
The company owner would really like to get these caps out there in use so that feedback can be generated.

So they are going to run a special on these USA made caps and will be discounting them 50% from now until the 4th of July.

So you better jump on this deal while you can.

Perfect timing, Danny! This is excellent news! I can’t wait to hear those for myself :thumb:
Thanks again for taking good care of me and have a great weekend.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2020, 06:21 pm »
Man... If i had the funds, I'd love to jump on this deal for the NX studios along with some foil inductors..
Just for the heck of it, cuz that's a frigging steal!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jun 2020, 07:26 pm »
Hello Michael, hope all is well;

I can say that when we added these to Jay's Super 7's the up-tick in performance was profound!!

Cheers,

Don
How many and of what value are needed for each Super 7?

(I know I asked this elsewhere, but I can’t remember where  :oops:)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jun 2020, 08:52 pm »
Danny,

Email with Adelphos XO values sent just now.

Thanks!

Michael

soundofrockets

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:12 pm »
How many and of what value are needed for each Super 7?

(I know I asked this elsewhere, but I can’t remember where  :oops:)

Would love to know this as well - what options and advantages.

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:46 pm »
Would I have to parallel a combination of these Copper Caps to achieve 33 microfarads?
Is the 50% off list correct?

Aside from learning how to do it, what do I need to perform the gated time window measurement, and what would that reveal?

It is likely to reveal that the horn does not have a smooth response and that there are issues within the pass band that need correction with additional parts correcting for a rising response, response peaks, some ringing, and stored energy. They also may or may not be in phase with the woofers, and the upper end of the woofer range may be completely out of phase with the horn.

TexE4D

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jun 2020, 01:00 am »
Danny,

Thanks for the explanation.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jun 2020, 10:31 pm »
I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the parts to build new crossovers for my NX-Otica MTM monitors. These are going to be all out. All caps except the one in the notch filter will be copper caps, Miflex KPCU by-pass caps, Mills resistors, foil inductors, and a Sonicap in the notch filter.

Mike

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jun 2020, 11:29 pm »
I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the parts to build new crossovers for my NX-Otica MTM monitors. These are going to be all out. All caps except the one in the notch filter will be copper caps, Miflex KPCU by-pass caps, Mills resistors, foil inductors, and a Sonicap in the notch filter.

Mike
Well, i hope i get the opportunity to hear those, but im excited to hear your feedback in the meantime!

Early B.

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jun 2020, 12:49 am »

Awesome, but get rid of that Sonicap, too! Hey -- you said you're going all out, so go all out. Change the hookup wire to solid silver while you're in there. Take plenty of pics, please. 

Sonicjoy

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jun 2020, 02:11 pm »
Great news Mike! I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the before and after. How is the new PS Audio gear treating you? Must be good if you are wanting to elevate the speakers performance though I figured you would sooner or later.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 28 Jun 2020, 02:48 pm »
Great news Mike! I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the before and after. How is the new PS Audio gear treating you? Must be good if you are wanting to elevate the speakers performance though I figured you would sooner or later.

The new PS Audio gear is great. The old PS Audio gear was very good but moving up the line has made a profound difference. I'm also going from the BG Neo3 PDR to the GR Neo3 tweeters.