I have $150 to spend at crutchfield So Pick me a new camera

Antman27

Hello all
I have $150 gift card @crutchfield and I need a camera so ant thoughts what is the best one to spend $150 @crutchfield ?
Thanks
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_11310/Digital-Cameras.html?tp=262&nvpair=FFPrice_Range%7c%5brank1%5dUp+to+%24200

KS

One thing I always look for is a viewfinder, not just the LED screen to compose the photo.  I have one camera with just the screen, don't like it much anytime, and it is useless in bright sun.

BradJudy

What are your priorities?  Size?  Best picture quality?  Mega zoom? 

My pick would be this one, but that's just because of my priorities. 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_280A590IS/Canon-PowerShot-A590-IS.html?tp=262

You might want to skim this list of reviews for some of the items in your price range:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_dig2008.html

RAW

Spend $20.00 more and get this gem. :thumb: :drool: :drool:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_280SD1100L/Canon-PowerShot-SD1100-IS-Blue.html?showAll=N&tp=262

We have the SD850i as well as the SD700is which is my 8yr olds old camera as we have since moved her to the Canon Rebel XT.

You can not go wrong with this cameraSD1100 for $20.00 out of my pocket it would be no contest.

Just point and shoot or be creative — this camera gives you worry-free options either way. You can stay in auto mode, use special scene modes, or manually choose exposure settings. The Canon SD1100 has an 8-megapixel imaging sensor designed to deliver clean photos with true-to-life colors. Easily frame your shots on the 2-1/2" LCD screen, or set them up using the optical viewfinder.

Snap natural photos of your favorite subject with the SD1100's face detection feature. It automatically focuses on faces in your frame, and adjusts exposure and color to record more realistic skin tones, regardless of what the lighting is like. Motion detection technology can evaluate just how fast your toddler moves — the camera keeps up by setting optimal sensitivity and exposure, so you get blur-free results. And the icing on the cake? This camera comes in five cool colors.
Read More

An included 32-megabyte memory card holds about 8 photos or 14 seconds of video at top resolution — add higher-capacity SD™ cards for more picture and video storage.
Details:

* 8.0-megapixel effective recording
    * 2-1/2" color LCD screen
    * real image optical zoom viewfinder
    * 3X optical zoom (4X digital/12X total zoom)
    * optical image stabilization
    * 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 38-114mm
    * top JPEG resolution: 3264 x 2448
    * DIGIC III image processor for fast camera response and detailed photos
    * face detection automatically sets focus, exposure, flash, and white balance for better portraits
    * motion detection calculates subject movement and sets ideal exposure and sensitivity to reduce blur
    * 16:9 widescreen photo mode
    * VGA movie mode with audio (30 fps)
    * Print/Share button for easy downloading to computer or printing to compatible photo printer (not included)
    * 9-point AiAF autofocus (with selectable 1-point autofocus mode)
    * exposure compensation settings
    * variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings, including a high sensitivity setting for better low-light shooting
    * custom white balance settings
    * shutter speed: 1/60-1/1,500 seconds
    * built-in flash
    * 10 scene modes including Aquarium, Sunset, and Snow
    * macro focus for subjects as close as 1.2 inches
    * compatible with PictBridge-enabled printers
    * high-speed USB interface
    * audio/video output for connection to a TV
    * accepts SD/SDHC™ memory cards and MultiMediaCard/MMC Plus/HC MMC Plus Card
    * 3-1/2"W x 2-5/16"H x 7/8"D
    * weight: 4.4 oz. (without battery and media)
    * warranty: 1 year
    * Want more peace of mind? Extended Service Plans Available

Supplied Accessories:

* 32MB SD card (holds about 8 images at top resolution)
    * rechargeable lithium ion battery (NB-4L)
    * AC battery charger
    * audio/video and USB cables
    * wrist strap

Andrikos

Can't go wrong with Canon...

Wayner

I have several Canons. Can't go wrong, although I think that 8meg is getting nuts. I use VGA setting on most of my photos! Get a tripod, too and a nice carring case.

Wayner

Andrikos

I use VGA setting on most of my photos!
Wayner

Damn, that's old school!
So you never hope to take a good picture that you might want to print?
Why bother with a camera? Use a cellphone...

8MP is not excessive and it's not the only thing either...
There are a LOT of parameters that make a good camera.
But, at the end of the day, the camera is as good (or bad) as its user.

mcullinan

Spend $20.00 more and get this gem. :thumb: :drool: :drool:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_280SD1100L/Canon-PowerShot-SD1100-IS-Blue.html?showAll=N&tp=262

We have the SD850i as well as the SD700is which is my 8yr olds old camera as we have since moved her to the Canon Rebel XT.

You can not go wrong with this cameraSD1100 for $20.00 out of my pocket it would be no contest.

Just point and shoot or be creative — this camera gives you worry-free options either way. You can stay in auto mode, use special scene modes, or manually choose exposure settings. The Canon SD1100 has an 8-megapixel imaging sensor designed to deliver clean photos with true-to-life colors. Easily frame your shots on the 2-1/2" LCD screen, or set them up using the optical viewfinder.

Snap natural photos of your favorite subject with the SD1100's face detection feature. It automatically focuses on faces in your frame, and adjusts exposure and color to record more realistic skin tones, regardless of what the lighting is like. Motion detection technology can evaluate just how fast your toddler moves — the camera keeps up by setting optimal sensitivity and exposure, so you get blur-free results. And the icing on the cake? This camera comes in five cool colors.
Read More

An included 32-megabyte memory card holds about 8 photos or 14 seconds of video at top resolution — add higher-capacity SD™ cards for more picture and video storage.
Details:

* 8.0-megapixel effective recording
    * 2-1/2" color LCD screen
    * real image optical zoom viewfinder
    * 3X optical zoom (4X digital/12X total zoom)
    * optical image stabilization
    * 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 38-114mm
    * top JPEG resolution: 3264 x 2448
    * DIGIC III image processor for fast camera response and detailed photos
    * face detection automatically sets focus, exposure, flash, and white balance for better portraits
    * motion detection calculates subject movement and sets ideal exposure and sensitivity to reduce blur
    * 16:9 widescreen photo mode
    * VGA movie mode with audio (30 fps)
    * Print/Share button for easy downloading to computer or printing to compatible photo printer (not included)
    * 9-point AiAF autofocus (with selectable 1-point autofocus mode)
    * exposure compensation settings
    * variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings, including a high sensitivity setting for better low-light shooting
    * custom white balance settings
    * shutter speed: 1/60-1/1,500 seconds
    * built-in flash
    * 10 scene modes including Aquarium, Sunset, and Snow
    * macro focus for subjects as close as 1.2 inches
    * compatible with PictBridge-enabled printers
    * high-speed USB interface
    * audio/video output for connection to a TV
    * accepts SD/SDHC™ memory cards and MultiMediaCard/MMC Plus/HC MMC Plus Card
    * 3-1/2"W x 2-5/16"H x 7/8"D
    * weight: 4.4 oz. (without battery and media)
    * warranty: 1 year
    * Want more peace of mind? Extended Service Plans Available

Supplied Accessories:

* 32MB SD card (holds about 8 images at top resolution)
    * rechargeable lithium ion battery (NB-4L)
    * AC battery charger
    * audio/video and USB cables
    * wrist strap

This is the one to get Awesome reviews!
Mike
Crutchfield is way overpriced! wtf!

boead

I use VGA setting on most of my photos!
Wayner

Damn, that's old school!
So you never hope to take a good picture that you might want to print?
Why bother with a camera? Use a cellphone...

8MP is not excessive and it's not the only thing either...
There are a LOT of parameters that make a good camera.
But, at the end of the day, the camera is as good (or bad) as its user.

Yeah I have to agree. That’s like ripping all your CD’s to MP3’s and throwing them away because “…who needs all that extra data, a 128kbps mp3 is CD quality – right? And we can’t hear below or beyond 20-20k anyway so…”

I believe 21 megapixels is the minimum near-equivalent to 35mm film so we're getting there, slowly but surly.

I just picked up a Canon SD 880 IS which I LOVE!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_280SD880N/Canon-PowerShot-SD880-IS-Gold.html?o=m&tp=262

I had an Canon SD 800 IS for a while but it got stolen. I replaced it with a pocket Panny/Leica which I really didn’t like, the Canon is way better in every way. Unfortunately (well fortunately for me really) my GF dropped it into a Strawberry Daiquiri and I’m deathly allergic to Strawberry’s, so was the Panny/Leica apparently.

I second the Canon SD1100 IS

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_280SD1100L/Canon-PowerShot-SD1100-IS-Blue.html?showAll=N&tp=262[/url]

Antman27

Ok so They are pushing the
 Canon A1000 Over the Canon PowerShot SD1100   for 179
The a1000 looks larger but Pix it had to tell
the SD1100 is a slimline
They say for the price the A1000
"the A1000 just has a little better lens, better zoom, and higher resolution."
Humm what to do

Antman27

Re: I have $150 to spend at crutchfield So Pick me a new camera
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2008, 05:40 pm »
Yes Crutchfield is way overpriced! wtf! But I was given a gift card and I need a camera so Y not I guess
I wont be getting any audio gear or TVs from them LOL

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2008, 05:40 pm »
Ok so They are pushing the
 Canon A1000 Over the Canon PowerShot SD1100   for 179
The a1000 looks larger but Pix it had to tell
the SD1100 is a slimline
They say for the price the A1000
"the A1000 just has a little better lens, better zoom, and higher resolution."
Humm what to do
HEres a comparison I found..
reviews.infosyncworld.com/digital-cameras/compare/?name1=Canon+Powershot+SD1100+IS&name2=&name3=&name4=Canon+Powershot+A1000+IS

Try it again had to fix the link.

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2008, 05:44 pm »
Id go with the 1100... 
Also remember all sales places have agendas. Certain products are pushed more via Spiffs. If a sales agent sells 1 type of this camera they may get 20 bucks from the manufacturer... so always do your own research.

Mike

RAW

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:02 pm »
Yes the 1100 is well worth it for the money less thant $20.00 after your gift card.

And the movie mode is great! Our 8yr old daughter (here with her Rebel XT) makes 10 plus movies a week with the camera. Every time i go to use it the card is full!

boead

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:19 pm »
One of the absolute BEST review sites on the web for cameras. God bless Steve.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

SD 1100
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_sd1100.html

The A100 is considerably bigger then the SD 1100. I have a digital SLR (Nikon), have had a few 35mm SLR’s and a couple of mid-sized cameras like the A1000 (series) cameras and the Elph (Canon SD) cameras gets used (are used) many more times, like 8:1. Its an amazing camera that actually fits in your front pocket, even wearing tight jeans. I sometime forget I have it on me. The A series cameras you will always know when you have it and its never going in your pants pocket.

RAW

« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:25 pm »
Cut to the final comments from Steve.Yes Steve's site is one i use all the time for great info.

"The SD1100's movie mode performed better than most cameras in its class. Shooting indoors in moderate lighting conditions, the camera captured smooth and vivid video with only slight noise, much less than some other models. The camera features a 640x480, 320x240 resolutions with frame rates of 15 and 30 fps as well as a compact 160x120 mode which is great for sharing or emailing. The 3x optical zoom is not functional during recording but it can be set before hand. If you must zoom during recording you do have access to the 4x digital zoom if it is turned on in the camera's menu.

Powering the SD1100 is a 3.7v 760mAh rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery pack. This provides plenty of power, and allowed me to capture around 70 images, several videos and complete all of my tests without having to recharge. This is a small battery however, so it is recommended that you have another for backup, especially if you plan on using the flash or taking a lot of video. Canon includes a compact charger that can be plugged in anywhere, featuring fold-away prongs, making it easy to keep that second battery ready to go.

Bottom Line - Canon has introduced yet another stylish and appealing ultra-compact model in their Digital ELPH line. The quality, performance and ease of use make it a great camera for the home or office, and the ultra-compact size and multiple color choices make it a fashionable accessory. With a street price of US$249 or less, this is a good camera for anyone who likes to keep an easy to use "pocket-rocket" handy at all times. "

Antman27

« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:42 pm »
Ok Just ordered the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS in SILVER not the Blue LOL
Should be the best $29.99 I spent in a while !

RAW

« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:45 pm »
Think you will be more than happy with the 1100.
$29.00  :duh: :duh: out of pocket

Nice choice. :thumb:

Antman27

« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:49 pm »
Not $29.00    out of pocket
On CC  :duh: :duh:

RAW

« Reply #19 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:55 pm »
Next
Get a SD card.
You will need it. Hint stay away from cheap cards. Last summer we were in LA our first day and had a card crash on us.Was it worth the lower cost to save the money.No way lost all the pictures the disc is not recoverable at all.

Since then we use Sandisk II in ours.