bhakti

Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera RX100
« on: 10 Aug 2012, 01:53 am »
Anyone purchase this yet?

SET Man

Re: Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera RX100
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2012, 03:11 am »
Hey!

I don't know anyone who have bought one yet. At $650 it ain't cheap and most of people I know aren't going to spend that much money for a P&S cam.

But I did play around with it while I was at B&H photo store here in NYC. I like it a lot. It feels great in my hand... can be a bit small for some. It is actually easier to use than the NEX F3 and a lot smaller. The controls are well laid out, love the ring on the lens barrel of which is serve as aperture control. Can't comment on picture quality though, but  pics on it's screen looks pretty good.

I was thinking of getting a smaller digicam in case I get to lazy to carry my DSLR. Did considered the NEX 3 and than the NEX 3F but after I played with the RX100 I think would go with the RX100. It feels like is a compact P&S design with a photographer in mind. Yes, I know the NEX have interchangeable lenses. But if I'm going to carry the NEX 3F than I might as well take my DSLR out.

But sadly I won't be getting neither the NEX 3F or the lovely RX100 because I've just spent money on something else  :roll:

BTW... a little disclaimer, I'm a Sony DSLR user.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2012, 05:35 pm »
I know there are a lot of users of "high end" P&Ss, like the Leica DLux 4 and 5 and the various Canons who are looking very closely at this model. Most have never owned a Sony before, but the high resolution and fantastic low light performance are very tempting.

I have a DLux 4 and am seriously considering the RX100 both for its performance and its significantly smaller size when turned off. It is more pocketable than any other camera that can compete with its image quality.

The Sony forum on Digital Camera Review is very active right now!

I am sure Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Panasonic, Leica and Olympus are furiously working on a challenger.

Sony has upped the game.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2012, 05:50 pm »
and the various Canons who are looking very closely at this model. Most have never owned a Sony before, but the high resolution and fantastic low light performance are very tempting.

Actually, many Canon users are closely watching the Canon EOS-M compact camera with APS-C sensor and interchangeable lens, capable of taking Canon EF lenses with adapter. 
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m

Sony RX100 still only has a one inch sensor, far smaller than APS-C, and $650 is quite a bit of money.  EOS-M will be $800, albeit body-only. 

What would really rock my world is for Samsung (or Apple) to implement a good 1 inch sensor into a phone with decent glass  :green:

bunnyma357

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2012, 07:47 pm »
Coming at it from the video perspective - I use a Sony HX9V P&S to supplement my Canon DSLR and it is a great tool, 1080p60 is great for SloMo.  It is pocketable, but with a loupe and handle it makes for the video equivalent of a Bolex film camera. Great for stealth shooting, while still getting very respectable quality. 

I think the fast glass of the RX100 counteracts the smaller sensor so you still get nice DOF in a convenient form factor.  I'm looking forward to adapters that will allow ND & CP filters to really give the control I need for video and avoid high shutter speeds that look very "stroby" or washed out.

http://cheesycam.com/examples-with-cpl-filter-on-rx100/

It seems to me like the EOS-M is really competing more with the NEX-5.

I do think the $650 for the RX100 is a little too high, if it was closer to $500 it would be an easier sell.  But I imagine I will pick up a refurb RX100 after they've brought out the model that replaces it for a very nice price.

Jim C

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2012, 01:15 am »

It seems to me like the EOS-M is really competing more with the NEX-5.

Jim C

My thoughts exactly; these are not pocketable. It's all about pocketability with the RX100 and compromises are made to allow that - like sensor size. Functionally, it is more like the Canon Powershot S100 which is slimmer still.

bhakti

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2012, 04:08 am »
ok, I think I'm going to purchase this bad boy.

Funny, how anyone can push a button, yet few know what they have captured!

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2012, 04:22 am »
Hey!

If you are not in a hurry I would wait a bit. Sony usually a sale near the end of the year to early of the new year on most items. Although Sony have sale on certain item year round but I'm pretty sure that RX100 will be on sale during that time. :D

Wish I had money to get one also. Anyway if you do get one let us know how you like it. :D

Take care,

bhakti

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2012, 02:42 am »
Thanks for the tip buddy - but I pulled the trigger.

I'm a visual artist as in paint and drawing so I'm not an accomplished photographer by any means.  So, I like the camera, whatever that is worth.

A couple of shots here:

bhakti

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:07 am »
Oh, it does very cool panoramas

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:32 am »
Hey!

Congratulation!

Those two pics look good. I assume you use the JPEG mode. The color of the grapevine pic looks good. As for the B&W, I would love to have a bit more contrast but that is a personal thing... how big or should I say small is that little guy anyway?

Yup, that sweep panorama mode is pretty cool.

I envy you.  :green: Wish I can get one right now myself... it is on top of my list of pocket P&S cam to get. :D

Take care,

bhakti

« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:11 am »
Hey Buddy - thanks for the feedback!!  I actually really appreciate it and always like to know what others find interesting!

Here is the original photo shot by the girlfriend:

I kind of liked the contrast of textures as opposed to light.

The grape vine was shot in raw but not manipulated.

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2012, 01:54 am »
Hey!

How is going with the RX100?

No, I haven't bought one myself. But a friend of my pointed me to this...

http://techland.time.com/2012/11/01/best-inventions-of-the-year-2012/slide/sony-rx100-digital-camera/

It made in to New York Times' "Best Inventions of 2012" I didn't expect to see this little camera on that list. Look like the tech guy there like it a lot.

Take care,

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2012, 04:32 am »
looks like a great camera. would love to play with one. Enjoy your RX100, and post photos when you have time bhakti.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2012, 09:36 pm »
a great underwater video made by the RX100 in a Nauticam housing in the Philippines. It looks reasonable even in full screen.
http://vimeo.com/52990440

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2012, 10:11 pm »
Really looks nice.  Probably, in several months, I'll be starting to look at new cameras.  More than I usually spend but I'll consider it depending if there are some decent deals when I'm ready.