Beauty vs. the beast vs. the plain

Carlman

Beauty vs. the beast vs. the plain
« on: 22 Apr 2004, 02:26 am »

Well, I had a chance to back to back compare the battery operated stock Bugle I bought assembled from Jim Hagerman (about $125) against the Channel Islands Audio VPP-1 (used $240) and also the ART 'Dee-Jay' phono pre I bought for about $30 from Wayne at Bolder as an abandoned project of some sort.

Well, getting to the point, the sound of the Bugle sounds best to me.  I think the details and dynamics are presented beautifully and it seems to me I can actually hear more everything.  The room, the piano's resonances, and that sort of thing.  Imaging was better in that it was more of a soundstage with great instrument placement.  The depth of the stage was excellent.  The little circuit board is great!!!

The VPP-1 has been turned on and been my primary phono pre for the past week.  I wanted to let it break in a little before comparing it.  I wanted to do this comparison before the Bugle gets shipped off for an audition by a fellow AC member.  The Bugle is on batteries so it's only on when playing a record.

The VPP-1 is a close second to the Bugle.  It's definitely easier on the eyes than the Bugle (in its current state) and has adjustments on the back for low-pass filtering and different gains and impedances.  While it's more flexible, it doesn't trump the Bugle in sound quality.  The VPP-1 is very good.  The Bugle is simply a little better, particularly in imaging and soundstage type areas.  I'd say it's a 5% difference from Bugle to VPP-1.

Lastly, the Art Dee-Jay.  It's not really fair to compare but just so I'd know what I was getting, I did it.  Plus, I thought I might get surprised.  As expected, the dynamics were much lower... as was the gain.  I have a moving magnet Ortofon OM-20 mounted which was more than adequate on the other 2 pre's.  However with this pre, I had to turn up the volume another 1/4 turn to match the output.  The one good thing I can say about it is it did dig deep and get some really good bass.  I heard some extension in my speakers I hadn't heard with the previous 2.  However, the lack of midbass, midrange and highs weren't enough to say anything positive other than it's good for the money and does get deep bass well.

Well that's all I have time for tonight.  

-Carl