MENSA DI/O mod is now on the website!

Wayne1

« on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:31 pm »
I have added the mods to take the smART DI/O to MENSA level :D

The MENSA upgrade includes all of the mods of the smART DI/O and then goes further.

Most of the resistors in the signal path, both digital and analog, are replaced with Riken-Ohm Carbon Film resistors.

The capacitors used in the output stage filter and the digital coupling caps are replaced with Polystyrene film and foil caps.

All of the wiring is replaced with NITRO Teflon insulated wire, the same wire that is used in the award winning NITRO interconnects.

Finally, additional capacitance is added to the analog power supplies.

This upgrade improves upon the great sound already coming form the smART DI/O.

The total cost of the MENSA mod is $410.00.

If you already have a DI/O that has been modded to smART status, the upgrade to MENSA would cost $150.00.

MENSA DI/O mod

Jay S

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:55 pm »
Excellent!  I think the MENSA is a well-worthwhile upgrade over the smART!  As Wayne says, it is much smoother and has a sweeter top end than the smART.  But, it is also more detailed, so I don't feel there is a tradeoff... it is simply better.

Lost81

Monarchy Anti-Jitter DIP between sMart DIO & Transport?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2003, 09:41 pm »
Hi Wayne & all sMart/MENSA DIO owners,

I have been following the development of the MENSA DIO with interest.
What do you think of the Monarchy Anti-Jitter DIP?

I was thinking, since you try so hard to keep the signal path as short and sweet as possible, with the best components possible in the price range, in the DIO, wouldn't the introduction of more circuitry (more parts = greater possibility of adding distortion) between the transport and the sMart DIO create more problems?

At this present stage (using an old 1996 harman kardon CDP as a transport + sMart DIO + Stancor PS), I am trying to make a choice among the 4 following choices:

1.) Bolder PS ($125)
2.) Bolder PS w/ Bybee + cyro? ($205 + ?)
3.) MENSA DIO upgrade ($150)
4.) Monarchy Anti-Jitter DIP ($175 to $300 + another digital cable)

And, oh yes, a CAL Delta is making its way to me now.

Thanks for everyone's input

lost81

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2003, 10:34 pm »
There are some folks who use a DIP between their transport and smART.

They seem to have liked what it does.

I have an older DIP MK II that I have pretty much completely rebuilt. I use it in my HT system between a heavily modified Pioneer DV-525 and a modified Lexicon DC-1 v1.4 (do you see a trend here :) )

It does help with the DVD player, even though the Lexicon has reclocking and anti-jitter circuitry on it's digital inputs.

I do not find any need for it between my modded CAL Delta and my MENSA DI/O.

My suggestion would be to go for the MENSA upgrade first and then go for the BOLDER PS with the Bybee. That would give you the most bang for the buck, IMHO.

By the way, cryo treating the PS is a fairly costly proposition. I think it would cost around $75-$80.00 for just the PS. Cryo treating the ART is about $45-50.00

Lost81

Thanks for the heads up, Wayne!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2003, 02:59 am »
'Saved me from a purchase that will do little good.
I will start budgeting for the MENSA then...

Happy SuperBowl...

benny

pjchappy

ooh!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2003, 05:04 am »
I ordered Smart DI/O upgrades a couple of weeks ago. . .I sent my DI/O in to where Wayne should have got it yesterday or today.  SO, over the weekend, I added on the Mensa upgrades, too!  I can't wait!!!!  :mrgreen: