Acoustic Revive RGC-24 virtual ground conditioner ?

HiFiSoundGuy

hotbird

Re: Acoustic Revive RGC-24 virtual ground conditioner ?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2008, 08:44 am »
I use 2 of them

More info here

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2008, 11:10 pm »
I got a used 1 on A'gon and placed it under my Sunfire processor. Subtle in my system but I find it to be worthwhile addition. It's usefulness might be more apparent in a system w/o as much power conditioning as mine as, I dunno. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Phil

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2008, 12:17 am »
I'm assuming these are very system dependent.  I've read great things, but like Robin, found the effect to be subtle.  In fact, I tried it in several places without any effect.  In my system, it cleans the HF a bit and that is always welcome.   Not a bang-for-the-buck tweak in my rig.  YMMV.

Phil

hotbird

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2008, 01:09 am »
I'm assuming these are very system dependent.  I've read great things, but like Robin, found the effect to be subtle.  In fact, I tried it in several places without any effect.  In my system, it cleans the HF a bit and that is always welcome.   Not a bang-for-the-buck tweak in my rig.  YMMV.
Phil

Not sure if you knew that placement of the circular puck is quite important. It may make a great difference if you experiment moving a bit under the transformer

Tweak needs a tweak too

Phil

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2008, 02:18 am »
Thanks, hotbird.   That is what I tried.  I connected the wire to my equitech which has a grounding screw, then moved the puck under the equitech, cdp and amp.  The only effect was with the amp.

Since I already had a number of tweaks both inside and outside my equipment, plus other tweaks in outlets, plus the equitech itself, it could be that I had mostly maxed out the conditioning side of things...

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from experimenting.  That is the only way to find out.

Phil

hotbird

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2008, 03:05 am »
Thanks, hotbird.   That is what I tried.  I connected the wire to my equitech which has a grounding screw, then moved the puck under the equitech, cdp and amp.  The only effect was with the amp.

Please correct me if I am describing wrongly what you are doing.

1)  The Acoustic Revive RGC24 in your case is always grounded to your Equitech, regardless of where you place your puck (under Equitech/cdp/amp), since only your Equitech equipment has that grounding screw, and you choose to use the grounding screw connection, instead of the alternatively supplied RCA connector.

2)  If what I described in 1) is correct, can you do it a bit differently? That is do not use the grounding screw connection, but use the supplied grounding RCA connector provided with the RGC24, and then look for an unused RCA outlet on the CDP equipment to connect the RGC24 puck. IMHO, I don't think you can ground the RGC24 to a power conditioner and then apply the puck on a different equipment. The RGC24 puck and grounding connector should always be applied on the same equipment for it to be effective.

Below is the supplied RCA plug which can be screwed on to the grounding screw C clip

Then connect that RCA plug to an unused RCA outlet.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2008, 03:17 am »
That's how I used my RGC-24 hotbird. I used the RCA grounding pin with my Sunfire processor and positioned the puck directly under the transformer. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

hotbird

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2008, 03:22 am »
That's how I used my RGC-24 hotbird. I used the RCA grounding pin with my Sunfire processor and positioned the puck directly under the transformer. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Here's what one reviewer first thought about that puck  :D

It is in this state of mind that I opened the RGC-24. If ‘grounding conditioner’ is the literal translation for this bizarre object it only tells me vaguely the purpose of it, naturally I would have placed it under a glass of beer…However after being informed I found that the RGC-24 is used to attract the earth leakage current from the chassis which disturbs the performance of the electronics. This earth leakage is more or less a pollutant which degrades the original signal.

Extracted from
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/rgc24/rgc24_02.html

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2008, 04:00 am »
Related topic:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58526.msg525207;topicseen#new

Just a coincidence, and very interesting!  This is a hot topic.  I'm a big fan of balanced audio, but lots of high end preamps don't have this option.  This preamp may have the answer we are all looking for.  I'm using an Audio Research pre and RCA-to-XLR adapters (on the amps) in a test system that has noise issues.

Please let me know if this technique works for digital amps...  If you use the RGC-24 and a digital amp, can you eliminate ground isolation from components that connect to the preamp?  This may be a recommend practice if the results are good, and I might be very interested in recommending this preamp.  Thanks.