BAT VK-500 or Classe

kshoe

BAT VK-500 or Classe
« on: 19 Sep 2018, 10:17 am »
BAT VK-500 w/bat-pak or Classe CA301 to power my Salk HT3 speakers? I have narrowed down to these two options. Both are about the same price. There is however supposedly 50wpc more for the Classe. Which would mate well with my aesthetix Calypso?
thanks

DEP14

Re: BAT VK-500 or Classe
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2018, 03:45 pm »
BAT

Very nice amps, I’ve owned classe also.  More similar than different but with the dual mono design, it’s just a great amp.  Plus if you ever need service, they are around and easy to deal with!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2018, 04:10 pm »
I am a BAT fan owning a BAT preamp.  Remember that the BAT uses 2 power cords and gets hot.  I haven't heard thode particular  amps ( I am familiar with some if their other gear though) but I am not sure of the viability of Classe as they shut down operations for a while until they got bailed out earlier in the year.  I might consider the age of both amps.  Ask for the serial numbers and call the companies.

DEP14

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2018, 04:14 pm »
I am a BAT fan owning a BAT preamp.  Remember that the BAT uses 2 power cords and gets hot.  I haven't heard thode particular  amps ( I am familiar with some if their other gear though) but I am not sure of the viability of Classe as they shut down operations for a while until they got bailed out earlier in the year.  I might consider the age of both amps.  Ask for the serial numbers and call the companies.

Which pre amp?  Would love your thoughts on it.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2018, 06:12 pm »
Which pre amp?  Would love your thoughts on it.

I have the BAT VK-51se.  All the BAT 6 Pack Caps have been replaced.  It sounds great.  It is not overly tubey sounding.  It is very dynamic with deep powerful controlled bass.   It is very musical, especially the midrange.   The top end is not rolled off as it is with some tube gear.  The only draw back for some is that it only takes XLR's but you can use XLR-RCA adapters.  It replaced my Pass X1 preamp which sounded mifi in comparison.  This stereophile review is spot on-

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1103bat/index.html

DEP14

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2018, 09:56 pm »
I have the BAT VK-51se.  All the BAT 6 Pack Caps have been replaced.  It sounds great.  It is not overly tubey sounding.  It is very dynamic with deep powerful controlled bass.   It is very musical, especially the midrange.   The top end is not rolled off as it is with some tube gear.  The only draw back for some is that it only takes XLR's but you can use XLR-RCA adapters.  It replaced my Pass X1 preamp which sounded mifi in comparison.  This stereophile review is spot on-

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1103bat/index.html

Thanks, I have a Pass XP 12, that I do really like.  But I've been really intrigued to try the BAT pre-amp at some point.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2018, 10:29 pm »
Thanks, I have a Pass XP 12, that I do really like.  But I've been really intrigued to try the BAT pre-amp at some point.

The XP-12 is supposed to be a great preamp.