Budget power strips

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Budget power strips
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2018, 03:34 am »
These US outlets are a drawback for overseas custumers
it accept only US standard pins, they are no multipins:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2018, 06:45 am »
  Save your money. Just change out receptacles at wall with better ones.

This.

garyalex

« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2018, 03:59 pm »
This is what I use:

https://www.alliedelec.com/wiremold-l10320/70091760/

I saw it mentioned on a Naim audio forum and decided to try it.  Cost a little less than it does now.

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2018, 05:01 pm »
This is what I use:

https://www.alliedelec.com/wiremold-l10320/70091760/

I saw it mentioned on a Naim audio forum and decided to try it.  Cost a little less than it does now.

Interesting choice for a couple of reasons: this has been an audiophile favorite for a long time, I have one myself, but I'm not aware of any efforts to explore why or if anyone has tried any other Wiremold/Legrand strips. But here is what I have found:

1. These strips should use *circuit breakers* not the typical lighted switches, etc. of most power strips. Just the circuit breaker but there was nothing IIRC when I opened mine up. Mine is older I think.

2. There is a slightly cheaper 4-outlet version for $70. The L10317.

3. Wiremold/Legrand has a series of strips that use hospital grade outlets and look *really* well made. Should be worth exploring and should satisfy both the *concerned* and the less concerned regarding safety. These strips have a prefix of ULBH or ULM and are stated with the following:

-Redundant bonding of the enclosure as required by
UL60601-1. Assures an ultra reliable grounding path is
provided. Proper grounding of medical equipment
is essential for patient well-being.
-Rugged aluminum housing. Withstands the rigors of the
healthcare environment assuring a long service life. End
caps include mounting ears to easily mount the unit to
hospital carts or other equipment
-Pass & Seymour® Hospital Grade Receptacles. Superior
quality receptacles are used to ensure reliable connections
and long life.

I would think these would be competitive with some of the pricier audiophile options especially if

4. You can find these strips cheaper on ebay (I think you can).

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2018, 06:51 pm »
Looks like they also have versions with hospital grade outlets.  But they're more expensive of course.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-6-Outlet-15-Amp-Special-Use-Hospital-Grade-Power-Strip-6-ft-Cord-ULBH6-6/205469960?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205469959-_-205469960-_-N

Available with 4 or 6 outlets, 6 or 15ft cords, 15 or 20 amps.

There are also some Legrand models on there called "computer grade". Anyone know the difference between computer grade and medical grade?

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2018, 06:58 pm »
Looks like they also have versions with hospital grade outlets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-6-Outlet-15-Amp-Special-Use-Hospital-Grade-Power-Strip-6-ft-Cord-ULBH6-6/205469960?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205469959-_-205469960-_-N

Available with 4 or 6 outlets, 15 or 20 amps, 6 or 15ft cords. But they're more expensive of course.

There are also some on there called "computer grade". Anyone know the difference between computer grade and medical grade?

That hospital grade model, ULBH6, can be found used for $30 on Ebay. Even higher grade ULM can be found for $50 used (star grounding?). Computer grade means added surge protector.