Battery powered lawn mowers and grass trimmers??

Wind Chaser

Re: Battery powered lawn mowers and grass trimmers??
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2018, 02:12 am »
Well after speaking with my neighbor, I decided to buy a mid range Stihl gas powered trimmer.  Hopefully I’ll feel well enough to give it a go later tonight.

yeldarb

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2018, 02:53 am »
I have been using a Ryobi 18 volt lion weed whacker for about 3 years.  I have a Stihl gas which has become unreliable.  Sometimes it runs....  The Ryobi always runs.  You just have to take your time.  I use the same battery in a hedge trimmer, which works great.  And a drill.  And a blower.  And I have a spare battery.

Lowes has an 80 volt dual line weed whacker, that reportedly will run 1 1/2 hours on a fresh battery.  And appears to be about as heavy duty as my Stihl used to be.

dig_a_pony

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:38 am »
when in Italy I asked the gardener what he used and the guy had Stihl too. I was striving for the lawn like this ever since https://tranio.com/photos/adt/bbe9cb3b/19725530/900x600.jpg
He said it worked well and the result I saw was okay too. Have you already tried yours, Wind Chaser?

rockadanny

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2018, 12:40 pm »
Love my Kobalt mower - cuts front and back on one charge, and not having to mess with oil and gas is a terrific benefit.  :thumb:
Wheels are not power driven, but since it is so much lighter than a gas mower it is very easy to push, even up hill. It is also much quieter. The trimmer works well. The blower is is OK for light duty - not as powerful as gas-powered ones. Two years and still working well.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2018, 03:11 pm »
I have been using a Ryobi 18 volt lion weed whacker for about 3 years.  I have a Stihl gas which has become unreliable.  Sometimes it runs....  The Ryobi always runs. 

Well that's interesting, but have you been on top of maintenance and been following all the manufacturer's guidelines?

I'll say one thing about the Stihl gas trimmer I picked up. Power wise it's over the top. I can see  where it might come in handy if you have to cut thick weeds, but this is way over the top for trimming the edges of my lawn.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2018, 05:29 pm »
As with any gas powered lawn gear, yearly maintenance is a must.  Use fresh gas every year, take out and clean the spark plug every year.  When you fill up your gas can, add Stabil gas treatment to it so the gas does not break down or go bad and at  the end of the year, run the gas tank dry or empty it.  It last for years and start without much trouble.