smART power supply. . .

Hantra

smART power supply. . .
« on: 27 Dec 2002, 07:58 pm »
Wayne:

Will the smART power supply work with this?

http://home.triad.rr.com/scottnixon/dac.htm

Iam looking at it. . The guy lives in the same town as me, and I am going to listen to it.  I just don't know if a 12 volt wall wart is going to do it for me.

Also, can a power supply like this be built without a toroid?  I was thinking of some of those higher end Audio Note transformers. . .

Thx!

B

bubba966

smART power supply. . .
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2002, 08:17 pm »
Hantra,

I'd previously asked Wayne a similar question on the DI/O PS as I'd like to upgrade the PS that my Video Standards Transcoder uses. Apparently is a 12V AC supply, and not a DC supply. So I couldn't use it. :(

The DAC you're referencing looks to be a 12V DC component. So it looks like you're not able to use the DI/O PS either.

cjr888

Re: smART power supply. . .
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2002, 08:18 pm »
Would appreciate hearing your comments on the unit when you hear it -- I'm already planning on purchasing a unit with some additional requirments in the next month or two.....

Quote from: Hantra
Wayne:

Will the smART power supply work with this?

http://home.triad.rr.com/scottnixon/dac.htm

Iam looking at it. . The guy lives in the same town as me, and I am going to listen to it.  I just don't know if a 12 volt wall wart is going to do it for me.

Also, can a power supply like this be built without a toroid?  I was thinking of some of those higher end Audio Note transformers. . .

Thx!

B

Wayne1

smART power supply. . .
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2002, 09:47 pm »
Bubba is correct. The ART DI/O takes an AC input.

The DAC you have linked to takes DC.

Quite a bit of the mods I do to the DI/O involve cleaning up the AC to DC section.

I would suggest you take a listen to a smART DI/O before you invest in that DAC.

You can build a power supply with any kind of transformer. As long as you are willing to throw money at it :D

Jay S

smART power supply. . .
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2003, 05:31 am »
The Monolithic Sound P3 power supply outputs 12V DC @ 2.5A.  Unfortauntely, it costs $349!   :o