Modded Squeezebox Touch or Transporter?

jackman

Modded Squeezebox Touch or Transporter?
« on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:28 pm »
Hi Wayne,

Happy New Year!  I was wondering if you compared a modded Touch with a Transporter?  Also, how about a Touch with a modest DAC compared to a Transporter with upgraded PS and internal DAC?

Thanks,

Jack

Wayne1

Re: Modded Squeezebox Touch or Transporter?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm »
Hello Jack,

I have compared the digital outputs of a modded Touch and a stock Transporter and I have preferred the modded Touch. The analog output of a modded Touch is also preferred over that of the stock Transporter. That is using something along the lines of the modded Jerome power supply without the Music Rail. With the Music Rail, there is no comparison  :wink:

The Transporter is getting a bit long in the tooth. The DAC chip and analog section are a bit behind the times in today's DAC world. The Eastern Electric DAC and DAC Plus in stock form certainly sound better to me. With simple tube and op-amp swaps they really stand out.

I have not yet had a chance to listen to any of the newer, lesser expensive DACs on the market. I may soon get a chance to evaluate the Grant Fidelity DAC-11. In any case, the power supply and the analog section are very important in a DAC. That is where a lot of people try to save money and that is where I make my money  :green:

I have spent some time with the CEntrance DAC Mini. I do like that product, but it is certainly improved by using a linear power supply in place of the switcher that comes with it.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:25 pm »
Jackman
I have a stock Transporter and have used it for several yrs. I recently ordered a Touch and had it shipped to Wayne for the digital mods. I got it the 28 Dec and still have the Transporter hooked up and can switch between the two. The Modded Touch absolutely blows away the Transporter. By the way I had a SB3 before and the Transporter blew it away. I dont think the Touch modded can be beat. I did not listen to a stock Touch but the mods from Wayne are superb. I run it into a EE mini mac DAC , Nuforce P9 pre and Nuforce 9VSE 3 monos into new PMC PB1i speakers and it sounds wonderful. I dont have Waynes PS mods yet but will have soon. You cant beat the Touch and I downloaded the IPENG app to my IPad and have great control over my music. The modded Touch by Wayne cant be beat for the $

David

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:38 pm »
Thank you very much for the response.  I was leaning towards a Touch but wanted to make sure I wasn't making the wrong move.  I've owned cables from Bolder and had a modded Dio back in the day, and have always thought highly of Wayne's work. 

I will most likely get the Touch and send it in for mods after I listen to it in unmodded form.  I have a modded SB3 with original switching PS and it sounds okay.  Certainly not audiophile but good for background music.  I love the convenience and would like to step up to a better sound quality. 

Thanks again!

J

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm »
J
If you have an Iphone or Ipad the IPENG apps allows you to control the squeezebox software from your chair. It is great. Keep us informed on the travels and I dont think you can go wrong with the Touch

David
PS I love to read your e mails on Tebow :D

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:06 pm »
J
If you have an Iphone or Ipad the IPENG apps allows you to control the squeezebox software from your chair. It is great. Keep us informed on the travels and I dont think you can go wrong with the Touch

David
PS I love to read your e mails on Tebow :D

Thanks David for the advice.  I downloaded the ap last night and have been messing around with it today.  It's very slick and easy to use! 

Also, I enjoy taking a contrarian view at times and think I managed to tick off several people on that Tebow thread, but it's all in good fun.  What fun would life be if the so called "experts" weren't wrong once in a while. 

Cheers,

J

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2012, 12:32 am »
Thank you very much for the response.  I was leaning towards a Touch but wanted to make sure I wasn't making the wrong move.  I've owned cables from Bolder and had a modded Dio back in the day, and have always thought highly of Wayne's work. 

I will most likely get the Touch and send it in for mods after I listen to it in unmodded form.  I have a modded SB3 with original switching PS and it sounds okay.  Certainly not audiophile but good for background music.  I love the convenience and would like to step up to a better sound quality. 

Thanks again!

J

Thank you for the compliment  :wink:

I HIGHLY suggest you get a linear power supply. Both the modded SB3 and the Touch will shine once you get rid of the stock PS.

I do have a few Jerome Industries PS on hand and more on the way. I am willing to sell a stock Jerome with the correct connector to fit either the Touch, SB3 or SB2 for $50.00. A modded Jerome would set you back $200.00. The modded Jerome with a Bybee Music Rail is $400.00. There is a HUGE improvement to the sound of any SB with an upgraded PS.

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2012, 02:02 am »
Wayne, I'll take an unmodded Jerome PS. Please let me know if I should send info on pm.  I can do PayPal or give you a cc if that's easier.

Thanks!

Jack

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2012, 02:34 am »
J
If you have an Iphone or Ipad the IPENG apps allows you to control the squeezebox software from your chair.

Sorry to go OT, but;

I've read several different comments here on AC regarding iPeng.  I am using the Logitech Squeezebox Controller, a free app from Logitech. It has the identical interface as the Touch. Is iPeng somehow better?

Again, sorry to go OT. I look forward to reading your comments on the new power supply, jackman.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

mca

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2012, 02:51 am »
My touch is heading out to Wayne tomorrow to get the digital mods and also the full Jerome power supply mods with music rails. Can't wait!

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:27 am »
JerryM,

Not being an Apple fanboy I cannot comment on iPeng. I do know that I have not read ANY negative comments on the interface. PEZ loves it.

I did get a Kindle Fire for Christmas from my daughter. I plan on side loading Squeezbox Commander.  The comments I have read seem to indicate that it offers more features than the Logitech app. I also have the Logitech app on my phone but I find using the DUET remote to be easier.

I think I have read that an earlier version of iPeng will work on the Android OS.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:55 am »
I have the Logitech app. on my Droid-X and my HP-Touchpad (with Android system) and I use it with my SBTouch in my Mancave and just love it! Sometime I use my phone, sometime I use my TP, my friends and I are blown away how well they work and how cool it is!
"Pick a song, any song" or "this or the next song" and I have over 15000 songs on my system!
Coming from flipping albums to cassetts to CDs to a OnmiFi, this is the ultimate as far as we are concerned!

I just looked at Squeezebox Commander on YouTube and it looks very similar (really no different) to the Logitech app. but it cost $4.99. The logitech app. is FREE!

Clarification; I only use the free Logitech app. on my Droid-X and my HPtouchpad for music only. It does all I need it to do and works just great! Its fast, I can pick songs or artist, mostly use random play, and look at artwork if I had it, don’t have any loaded and all the controls are at my fingertips! No reason for me spend any money when this does all I need an app. to do, I Love it!
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2012, 04:37 pm by budyog »

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2012, 02:50 pm »
Wayne:
I don't think you can load Android apps on a Fire. I considered getting one and went to the SB forums to find out it isn't easy to do. You have to hack the Fire to get an Andoid app on it.
Chris H.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2012, 04:08 pm »
I've used both the Logitech Controller app. and the SB Commander on my smartphone. I preferred the Commander. I wasn't deterred by the 4.99 price. :) The original remote lays idle.

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2012, 04:44 pm »
Wayne:
I don't think you can load Android apps on a Fire. I considered getting one and went to the SB forums to find out it isn't easy to do. You have to hack the Fire to get an Andoid app on it.
Chris H.

Chris,

It is actually VERY easy to install Squeeze Commander on the Kindle Fire. I just did it and it is FAR and away better than the free Logitech app.

To install it you should join slideme.org Download the slideme marketplace to your kindle. Choose Squeeze Commander from the music apps. Arrange payment, I used PayPal. Download the app.

It took less than a minute. The app found my network, Logitech Media Server and all my Squeezeboxen. Everything connected and worked correctly right off the bat. It is a lot faster than using the DUET remote. You can do more than the DUET remote and the Logitech remote software.

I'll probably start another thread on this elsewhere. For now I will say if you have a Kindle and Squeezebox, you need this app. In fact, if you have a Squeezebox and you do not have a tablet, you need a Kindle and this app.