Upgrade for Jerome and ELPAC power supplies. Bybee Music Rails

Wayne1

This past week I have figured out how to shoehorn a Bybee Music Rail and associated passive components into both the Jerome and ELPAC power supplies used for the Touch and SB3.

With the addition of the Bybee Music Rail, the sound of your Touch system will get even closer to the master tape. The Bybee Music Rail is an active device that can lower the noise floor by up to 45 db. In listening to the difference, everything sounds more organic. The bass becomes cleaner. The space around instruments is wider and deeper. You can hear more what the players sound like rather than the noise covering up the subtleties.

For the time being, I am offering the mod to either an ELPAC WM-220 or Jerome Industries 5 volt supply for $200.00 plus shipping.

I can sell complete modded Jerome supplies for $400.00 plus shipping.

Please call, e-mail or PM to set up the mod. Post any questions here. Two supplies are already on their way to their owners. Hopefully we will see some posts about the Music Rail upgrades soon.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2011, 10:43 pm by Wayne1 »

Gopher

I'm one of those owners and will have my Music Rail'ed PSU on tuesday, per FEDEX tracking.  The PSU is an Elpac which Wayne had previously worked his magic on.

I was very happy with the work he'd done previously and you guys can be sure I'll update you all on how things sound with the bybee in place.

I'm quite excited!

DZetye

Wayne,
Will the Bybee's make a significant upgrade to the Elpac if I only use the Touch digital output (also Bolder modded by you) into a high quality DAC (Antelope Audio Zodiac+)? Thanks for your help

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Officially saving for this.....I bet this is quite nice, maybe I'll start playing lotto...

Wayne1

Wayne,
Will the Bybee's make a significant upgrade to the Elpac if I only use the Touch digital output (also Bolder modded by you) into a high quality DAC (Antelope Audio Zodiac+)? Thanks for your help

For a slightly less biased opinion, you can wait until Gopher gets his Music Railed ELPAC tomorrow.

I feel it is a MAJOR improvement. I really can not think of anything you can do for your system for less than $400.00 (for a fully modded Jerome with Music Rails) that can have a bigger impact on the sound.

I use my modded Touch digital out into a modded EE MiniMax Dac. I was seriously blown away by the difference when I plugged Gopher's Music Railed ELPAC into my system. After RMAF I was just using a modded Jerome. After hearing the MAJOR improvement, I put my Ultimate PS back on the bench and installed a Music Rail back in it. I also made a few wiring changes that improved on the first time I had the Music Rail in it.

The modded Ultimate is still breaking in, but I feel the changes are very beneficial. For those folks who had their previous PS upgraded or who bought a Deluxe with Music Rails, I will be willing to upgrade them to the new design at no charge. Just give me a few weeks to let everything get broken in and obtain the parts in stock.

Just a reminder, this is NOT the Bybee Quantum Purifier we are talking about. This is an ACTIVE device that will reduce noise levels on the DC power lines by up to 45 db. As an active device it does consume about 0.5 volts to make it work. The ELPAC WM-220 usually runs 5.25 volts out. After the installation of the Music Rail the voltage will be about 4.75. This is not a problem with powering a Touch.

The Jerome PS does have an adjustable output level so I can dial in 5 volts out.

Gopher

Cool to read this, Wayne!  I will keep everyone posted as to my impressions.  It will be used alongside a Bolder digital modded Squeezebox Touch and Bolder Level 1 EE Minimax DAC...   funny, I wasn't into the modification thing until I began speaking with Wayne. 

Gopher

holy crap!!!  I got my bolder modded elpac back today with the music rails added.   Wonder!  Wayne, this should be standard.

I'm hearing an improvement from top to bottom and not a subtle one.  The first things to jump out at me were bass and holography and that was before the dac or squeezing even warmed up.

definitely a more natural presentation that has a great flow.  I think dynamics are a lot more explosive as well.  I'll post additional thoughts as I get a better handle on this, but I am very impressed.

thanks Wayne!

Wayne1

Fred,

I'm SO glad you heard the same thing as I did. So many times you read about a veil being lifted. This is a door being opened.

The sound goes from a compressed MP3 recording to listening to the master tape. That really isn't too much of an exaggeration.

If you REALLY want to hear what your music is supposed to sound like, this power supply is what you need.  :green:

DZetye

Crap, I should have never looked at this thread.  I thought I was all set with my squeezebox setup but now I need to raise some more funds for the music rail for my Elpac.

Gopher

I definitely am, Wayne.  I know I should expect SQ to dip over the next few days as it burns in, but do the rails get significantly better then first installation?  If so, I think I'm in for a MAJOR treat. 

I don't want to end tonights listening session as I suspect it won't sound as good as it burns in, lol.  Planning on leaving it running 24/7 with the Isotek burn in tones running through it.

DZetye,

Don't dread this one, its a stupid large upgrade for the coin.  Its been extensively modified, yes, but I'm still shocked I get such a high quality transport out of a consumer grade, off the shelf, product. 

I was never a big 'mod guy' in the past, but Wayne is a ninja. 

Phil A

Crap, I should have never looked at this thread.  I thought I was all set with my squeezebox setup but now I need to raise some more funds for the music rail for my Elpac.

+1  :green:v- my modded Jerome is just about breaking in - I'll have to re-visit it after the Holidays

DZetye

Wayne,
Would you recommend me buying the modded Jerome w/music rail mods outright from you or do you feel that I would be better off with sending you my Elpac for the music rail mods.  I could get the jerome and get the extra $200 back from the sale of my Elpac so either way it will cost me about the same amount.  Just undecided on which way to go. Jerome or Elpac?

gregcss

I've read the the sound quality on a standard SBT is quite good. Do the PS mods get the touch to sound better than a non-audiophile CD transport? I am only interested in the digital out SQ.

Thanks

Gopher

Greg,

That is definitely the point.  I've owned CD players in the $5k range and my Bolder front end based on the Squeezebox Touch and Eastern Electric Minimax performs on a MUCH higher level.  Consumer grade cd players/transports are NOT the competition here...   Throw in the Touch mods and you've got state of the art performance. 

Wayne1

I've read the the sound quality on a standard SBT is quite good. Do the PS mods get the touch to sound better than a non-audiophile CD transport? I am only interested in the digital out SQ.

Thanks

Read the review by Pez on the digital modded Touch with the Deluxe power supply Digital Modded Touch with Deluxe Supply The Deluxe Supply is the high end version of the modded Jerome with Music Rails. It will get you very close to Deluxe for hundreds less. The deluxe does use better quality parts and has a better case, but the sound is very close. Pez sold his $5000.00 Stereophile rated Class A SACD player because he felt the modded Touch with Deluxe supply was better sounding.

DZetye, Sell the ELPAC. Buy the full moded Jerome from me complete. The Jerome offers you the ability to use aftermarket power cables, which can help in fine tuning the sound. I can also fine tune the output voltage in the Jerome. With the ELPAC you would always be running just a bit undervoltage.

At the risk of overhyping this: The Music Rail modded Jerome will improve the sound of your system more than anything else you can do for $400.00. PERIOD.

To prove this, I would like four people to volunteer to comoupare the power supplies. I would like you to have a Touch, preferably modded, running digital out to a good DAC with decent gear.

I will send out three Jerome power supplies. One stock with the connector changed. One with the "standard" mod and one with the Music Rail mod added to the standard. The will be marked with different colors of heatshrink around the DC connector. I would like them to write their thoughts on the sound of each one.

I want to keep this short. Each person only keeps the PS for a week and then sends in on to the next one.

Get in touch with me is you wish to be one of the four or have any suggestions about the tour.

mfsoa

Hi Wayne,

Would your Jerome mod do anything to reduce mechanical hummmmm from the unit?

Mine hums so it has to live in the basement and gets its cable fed upstairs.

Thanks

-Mike

Wayne1

Mike,

The mod won't help with mechanical hum. I have a few Jerome units here and none have hummed. If you want, send it to me and I'll exchange it for one that is not humming. If you want to give me some money for modding, even better  :wink:

Gopher

Re: Upgrade for Jerome and ELPAC power supplies. Bybee Music Rails
« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:22 am »
Just a quick update--ithas been an interesting,somewhat unpredictable burn in so far.  Wayne warned me in advance, so I'm not worried, just eager for it to settle. 

Digital really presents substantially more information in a relaxed and effortless way.  Some nights things are sounding so good I can hardly tear myself away to go to bed. 

I will be interested in hearing the results of Wayne's tour as to the best of my recollection the difference the music rail made was evengreater than the origional modded elpac over stock...  pretty darn significant!

gregcss

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:33 pm »
Just a quick update--ithas been an interesting,somewhat unpredictable burn in so far.

How long have you been running it for?

Gopher

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:46 pm »
Since November 8, 2011.  It isn't full stabilized I don't think.  Sometimes things will sound incredible, others it will have an ambiguous quality.  Its never terrible as Wayne warned it might be, but its definitely off at times.  He put a Sonicap in there as well and I know those take a long time to burn in, so that may contribute.  I figure another week or so and all will be stable.  Last night was a great session, though the afternoon started out so-so.