Sol Samet i-60 Amp

xsb7244

Sol Samet i-60 Amp
« on: 7 Apr 2015, 07:23 pm »
is the design final?  a review and pictures?  it has been a long time.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Sol Samet i-60 Amp
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2015, 07:24 pm »
What is this?  Never heard about it.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2015, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for asking. I-60 is a solid state integrated amplifier designed by local audio engineer Sol Samet. It was finalized Christmas 2014 but he has it back for some improvments. Sol is full of new ideas and he applies them to his existing amps. It is very conservatively rated, with 300VA toroid, it can make >120W>4ohms both channels driven at 20kHz all day. It can kick the living crap out of large full range speakers with <2ohm impedance dips. It has beautiful, clean, incisive, precise high frequency and tonal accuracy. It has very strong damping at all frequencies so it sounds ultra confident and powerful, like a "large amp" sounds at low power output. Output stage bias is low, so it runs fairly cool in normal use. It uses the amplifier chassis as heat sink. Careful temperature compensation makes it sound the same hot or cold. Sol says that using his old HP distortion analyzer the amp replicates his signal generator. There is no visible crossing distortion at full power, 4ohms, 20kHz.

It has always been an all discreet design, but last year it was changed from 3 stage amp to a 4 stage amp with separate preamp and power amp in the same box. The preamp uses an opamp. I was skeptical, but it was a big step forward, and clarity was dramatically improved.

At this time, he is trying different bipolar output transistors, temperature compensation, and tweaking local decoupling caps. I am looking forward to hearing the next iteration. I have had the prototype in my posession several times for long periods, using many different speakers over the years. I have heard it evolve dramatically since 2007 when I first heard it.  I tried to order one last year on the previous version, but Sol is too busy and the build is too complicated for P2P. So eventually there will be PCB and either kit or production version.

I would like to say that will be soon, but both of us find it difficult to devote the necessary time to the project. Meantime it just keeps getting better.  Sol always brings his latest amplifiers to our G2Gs, so you might hear it and talk tech with him at one of those. He is not active on any audio forums, but I can relay any specific technical questions to him which I can't answer.

There is also an I-15 (which I own,) and an I-30. I also own a LM1875 based current source amp designed by Sol, called C25.

Jason, you probably have heard the I-60 at one of my meets. The prototype is a plain aluminum par-metal amplifier case 3x16x12.

xsb7244

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015, 09:39 pm »
Perhaps Sol Samet can offer a power amp only version.

From the beginning.  http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1900.0

May this I-60 become a reality in 2016.

PS:  Did Sol make any diy turntable or speaker?

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2015, 12:16 pm »
Perhaps Sol Samet can offer a power amp only version.

Yes. That was part of the reasoning for making I60 into 4 stage, to improve performance primarily, but also to allow the preamp stage to be omitted, leaving a 26dB gain power amp.

PS:  Did Sol make any diy turntable or speaker?

No, he is mostly into electronics, but he enjoys vintage speakers and he does spin vinyl.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2015, 11:07 pm by richidoo »

xsb7244

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2019, 10:00 pm »
Since 2007 Sol has been working on this amp.  I like that he has been making i-60 better and better.  Anyway, what is the latest on the i-60 as we head into 2020?  Also,why no pictures?

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2019, 11:49 pm »
Longer than 2007. I met him in 2006 and it was a couple years old already, though nowhere near as good as now.
He is building one for me now, point to point like the prototype as there is still no PCB. The design has been frozen for a few years.
At my G2G last June the I-60 blew away my ICE 1200AS2. So much more musical and pratty. One of the best amps I've ever heard.
I hope to feature it at my next g2g in June. Then I intend to send it on a limited AC tour so people can hear it for themselves and then mob his house demanding their very own I-60. He is trying to arrange things to enable becoming a mfg.

There have been pictures. It is just a bare aluminum ParMetal amplifier box with black knobs. The prototype chassis' appearance has not changed at all in 15 years, though the innards have changed completely several times.
Thanks for asking. Do you live in NC or Triangle area?
Rich

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2019, 12:11 am »
It would be very interesting to send it to ASR to see how it measures on an APx555. 

xsb7244

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2019, 12:28 am »
I live in the boondocks, Honolulu.  Maybe you heard of it?  No hi fi presence here.  A shame, pity me.  Donations are welcome.

richidoo, i-60 has procrastinated long enough.  Your Carolina Audiophiles members should have their own i-60 amp before the end of the century.

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2019, 08:04 pm »
A shame, pity me.
  :green:

It would be very interesting to send it to ASR to see how it measures on an APx555. 
It measures well, distortion below Sols analyzer threshold of .001%. But it's been like that for a long time and he still changed it a few times to improve the feeling and musicality.