I am surprised by the lack of impressions from CES

schw06

I am surprised by the lack of impressions from CES
« on: 10 Jan 2011, 01:48 pm »
I was expecting to see a lot of buzz surrounding the new Magnepan 3.7 and the Zu Dominance (not to mention all of the other vendors) and am surprised nobody has volunteered their impressions from the show. Where are all the attendees?
David

texendo

Re: I am surprised by the lack of impressions from CES
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2011, 01:50 pm »
Yeah, and the new Devore Fidelity Orangutans?!?

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2011, 02:16 pm »
Problem is CES is no longer the "audio" show. CES is all about crappy iPad wannabes, 3D tvs and playstation 3s. Also, show reporting is hard! running around to see everything at a trade show is difficult enough, taking pictures and posting impressions is even tougher. I'm sure some opinions will start trickling in, but don't expect RMAF level interest.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2011, 02:58 pm »
Problem is CES is no longer the "audio" show. CES is all about crappy iPad wannabes, 3D tvs and playstation 3s. Also, show reporting is hard! running around to see everything at a trade show is difficult enough, taking pictures and posting impressions is even tougher. I'm sure some opinions will start trickling in, but don't expect RMAF level interest.

CES is still big on audio, but you have to remember that it isn't (nor has it ever) open to the general public like RMAF is. 

Expect to see lots of coverage in the coming days/weeks from some of these sources:

Soundstage (http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=3)
Postive Feedback (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/toc.htmA)
Enjoy the Music (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/ces_2011/)
Hometheater Hi-Fi (http://cave.hometheaterhifi.com/ - go to to the "Cave" section)
Stereophile  (http://www.stereophile.com/)

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2011, 10:08 pm »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Great stuff.

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2011, 10:12 pm »
One of our local guys who went said the new Maggies were astonishing given their price...I also heard from a friend who attended that the Revel speakers sounded great, but he was going to get back to me on which model...

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:04 am »
I keep waiting to hear how the VMPS live vs recorded turned out.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:21 am »
VMPS did a very similar setup last year with the RM50's in Vegas. 

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:27 am »
I heard a short piece of the live vs. playback demo...and I think the difference was greater than last year...but the level was louder in the playback which alone throws every other impression off. Another big difference I heard on playback was the increased volume level in the mid band range...sounded too sibilant for my ears...the piano and voice was much more prominent in the playback.
Overall I thought the past year demo was closer...but it was the end of the day Saturday, so maybe people was less disciplined with level matching.

wywires

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:48 am »
I keep waiting to hear how the VMPS live vs recorded turned out.

The VMPS RM-50's are a mighty speaker indeed. We had the mid ribbons and tweeters on the Atma-Sphere MA-1 monoblocs and the bass on a pair of massive Classe monoblocs. Can't remember the exact model. All signal cables and power cords are from yours truly. Playing a wide variety of music was really fun and a unique experience. Not only was the sound extremely coherent across the entire frequency spectrum, there was also a very believable impact and presence on all the recordings played. I don't think that that level of performance is accessible for anywhere near even 3X or 4X the asking price of the components and speakers in the room at that time.

I thought that the Wavac room had sound that can compete but the preamp alone was $350K and the power amp was the smaller 120WPC single ended triode monos at a mere $180K for the pair. Easy to put together a $million+ system with that stuff.

Also the Precision Transducer Engineering room was a serious contender with their $49K powered reference monitor.

Not much else at THE Show was even in the same league.

Regarding the live vs recorded demo, Brian pulled it off very, very well. Not only was the sound exactly as performed but the locations of all the instruments was 100% accurate. As Brian has said, with a state of the art audio system it IS possible to exactly recreate the live experience. Thanks much to Navua and the other great musicians that contributed to the effort. If only Brian would refrain from personally doing a cymbal crash at the end of each song, that would help :lol:

In between Navua's performances, we did demos of the Bybee Music Rails installed in an MFA power amp on the mids and tweet of the RM-50's. The Bybee guys were able to easily remove and replace the filters in less than 30 seconds. The same cuts were played with and without. Without going into too many details. The difference was like a slap along side the head. Really obvious and a serious improvement for around $300!

wywires

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:56 am »
I heard a short piece of the live vs. playback demo...and I think the difference was greater than last year...but the level was louder in the playback which alone throws every other impression off. Another big difference I heard on playback was the increased volume level in the mid band range...sounded too sibilant for my ears...the piano and voice was much more prominent in the playback.
Overall I thought the past year demo was closer...but it was the end of the day Saturday, so maybe people was less disciplined with level matching.

The playback levels were per Navua's instructions since we were actually recording an album during the sessions.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:57 am »
How about some pics Alex?

wywires

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2011, 01:04 am »
How about some pics Alex?

I was too busy to take pics. Besides, my cell phone has no camera and I forgot to bring my Nikon. There were at least 30 or more press photographers snapping away at various times so I'm sure pics will be available soon in many places on the web.

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2011, 01:25 am »
What about the Bybees on the Atma-sphere gear? Worth hassling Ralph about doing this?

wywires

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2011, 01:37 am »
What about the Bybees on the Atma-sphere gear? Worth hassling Ralph about doing this?

I guess it all boils down to power supply isolation since the job the Bybees do is remove the attendant PS noise. Maybe worth a conversation.

wywires

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2011, 01:50 am »
CORRECTION: Here name is Napua, not Navua as I previously posted. Sorry! :duh:

Housteau

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2011, 05:13 pm »

I also believe that level matching to be very important when trying to do a live vs recorded event.  When I adjusted playbacks last year I looked to the audience for assistance.  I asked for thumbs up, or down,  on how to adjust.  Because, unless you are in the main listening area it is very difficult to tell what is appropriate.  I was off to the side making the one recording (we had two parallel recording systems last year), and the live event sounded different from my perspective than it did for the audience.  I planned all year to be able to attend and particpate again this year, but at the literal last minute my work called me away.

If Napua had requested a certain volume for playback, then this really wasn't a true live vs recorded event and it should have sounded somewhat different.