Announcing The Bryston BP-19 Fully Balanced Analog Preamplifier

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
James—

Of course! I should have taken the audio show into account. Apologies!

Je vous attend!

Regards,

Joel.

Hi Joel

BP19 Vin overload = 4.75Vrms
BP19 Vout max = 12Vrms

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
Hi James,

Thanks very much for this information.

Alas, it means that, of the four DACs I'm presently using, only the Bryston BDA-3 would be usable with the BP-19.

Disappointment!

Regards,

Joel.

Alfalfa

Thank you for sharing this interesting review from a seasoned Bryston user that could almost have ‘Precision vs. Pleasure’ as the title.  :thumb:

Too bad the writer does not state in which sensitivity his 7 B3’s were running, I suppose it was the high 29 db gain setting given the rather modest 12 volts max output of the BP19. This max output seems to be just a bit lower still compared to the BR19’s 13.5 Volts - 14.2 volt measured by respectively Hifi News and Soundstage! Network.

It seems like an excellent preamp to match the 28B3’s unswitchable high sensitivity as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Thank you for sharing this interesting review from a seasoned Bryston user that could almost have ‘Precision vs. Pleasure’ as the title.  :thumb:

Too bad the writer does not state in which sensitivity his 7 B3’s were running, I suppose it was the high 29 db gain setting given the rather modest 12 volts max output of the BP19. This max output seems to be just a bit lower still compared to the BR19’s 13.5 Volts - 14.2 volt measured by respectively Hifi News and Soundstage! Network.

It seems like an excellent preamp to match the 28B3’s unswitchable high sensitivity as well.

Hi Alfalfa - I assume you mean the BR-20?

james

Alfalfa

Hi James,

BR20 indeed, my bad!  :duh:

Is there a difference in max output between the BP19 and the BR20, or could it be a different kind of measuring?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Not sure - I assume its different measuring systems as the BP-19 is the preamp section from the BR-20.

james

Alfalfa

Thank you James!

jcn3

Hi James,

Thanks very much for this information.

Alas, it means that, of the four DACs I'm presently using, only the Bryston BDA-3 would be usable with the BP-19.

Disappointment!

Regards,

Joel.

what dacs are you using and what are their specs?  i would imagine that the spec you got from james was for the rca inputs -- 4.75v is a lot higher than the "standard" rca output of 2v.

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
what dacs are you using and what are their specs?  i would imagine that the spec you got from james was for the rca inputs -- 4.75v is a lot higher than the "standard" rca output of 2v.

If you check reply #34 above you'll see my original note to James where I ask about voltage input and output specs.

I also mention there the output voltages of the DACs that I use: 4 Vrms (Bryston BDA-3), 6.15 Vrms (Berkeley Alpha Reference), 12.25 Vrms (SPL Mercury & Crane Song Solaris Quantum).

I didn't specify I was talking about balanced I/O only—that is true.
I assumed that, since the figure I quoted for the Bryston BDA-3 was for the balanced outputs, James would, in turn, understand that I was talking about balanced I/O.

Also, when James passed on the information from Engineering, he also specified the max. voltage output of the BR19 as 12 Vrms, which, unless I'm misreading the manual, applies to the XLR outputs.

However, I'd love to be proven wrong and learn that the maximum permissible voltage input for the BR19 is actually 9.5 Vrms and the maximum output is actually 24 Vrms!
Then I might very well buy one—it would just mean not using the Crane Song and SPL DACs in the system that contained the Bryston BR19. But that's okay, I have others. . .

jcn3

If you check reply #34 above you'll see my original note to James where I ask about voltage input and output specs.

I also mention there the output voltages of the DACs that I use: 4 Vrms (Bryston BDA-3), 6.15 Vrms (Berkeley Alpha Reference), 12.25 Vrms (SPL Mercury & Crane Song Solaris Quantum).

I didn't specify I was talking about balanced I/O only—that is true.
I assumed that, since the figure I quoted for the Bryston BDA-3 was for the balanced outputs, James would, in turn, understand that I was talking about balanced I/O.

Also, when James passed on the information from Engineering, he also specified the max. voltage output of the BR19 as 12 Vrms, which, unless I'm misreading the manual, applies to the XLR outputs.

However, I'd love to be proven wrong and learn that the maximum permissible voltage input for the BR19 is actually 9.5 Vrms and the maximum output is actually 24 Vrms!
Then I might very well buy one—it would just mean not using the Crane Song and SPL DACs in the system that contained the Bryston BR19. But that's okay, I have others. . .

like you, i would certainly hope and expect that the balanced inputs can handle more than 4.75V -- there are too many dacs out there that have output voltages above 4.75V above and beyond the ones you mentioned.  some clarification from @james tanner would be helpful.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Sorry folks - the numbers given are for the Balanced inputs.

james