Any Threads for Audio/Component Stands

Phil A

Re: Any Threads for Audio/Component Stands
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2020, 12:08 pm »
I do appreciate the input
and though getting back to music is probably a very smart call
i really do want to grab a proper audio stand that does dampen/kill any vibrations
i do realize there is always differing opinions but i do have to believe that a propererly isolated audio stand is sure to help in the never ending search for audio nirvana...

Don't forget there's also vibration control tweaks for individual components if you want those in addition to the audio rack.  Like stands, they come in all price ranges as well from very inexpensive to expensive.  Good luck in your search.  I can tell you that I've seen demos of these individual vibrations tweeks that made a difference even on good and expensive stands.  That's one of the reasons that on the initial response I noted budget comes into play.  Sometimes, it's best and easier to do it in stages if the budget won't allow for it all at once.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2020, 01:34 pm »

This isn't a horizontal rack, but I have a double-wide model on the drawing table...

ICTadam

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2020, 03:59 pm »
Very cool! 

kbuzz3

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2020, 04:35 pm »
The replies are great....enjoying this thread.   Well since I'm requested at home, i broke out one of the vertical racks i have- a line phono stand.  While i was at it i added i moved from the one sub in the corner to two subs between the speakers.   Frankly, the systems sounded better with the amp on a tweaked out butcher block/vibro pad isolation on a cheap target rack, and with the one sub on a subdude in the the corner, but its fun to play around while at  home...

I may try both in the corners...but this room is a nightmare of suspended floors, loft ceilings and other assorted problems...lol
Any suggestions re placement always appreciated.

« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2020, 07:11 pm by kbuzz3 »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2020, 06:09 pm »
It would be possible reduce the size of the various photos above and post smaller ones in the same post(Modify)?
Thanks in advance.

kbuzz3

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2020, 07:12 pm »
your right..sorry

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2020, 09:04 pm »
Where are you located?  There may be AC members near you (hint, hint) that may have nice stands for sale.  :thumb:

kbuzz3

« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2020, 03:38 pm »
Just north of NYC- or whats left of it. LOL

Barilko

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2020, 11:41 pm »
Hey gang since this thread did attract a few replies

if I may    before i do find my perfect stand/rack...and while I'm making due with what i have

i do have another question based on my ignorance...

i finally have speakers with spikes/claws whatever ya want to call them   they are Totem Claws

---  my room is mostly covered by a carpet  not shag but a thick enough carpet  and under the carpet is a darn linoleum tiled floor

thus... should i be certain to have the carpet under the speakers or place the speakers on the floor just before the carpet

as always any input is appreciated

Thanks...Be safe..

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2020, 03:24 pm »
You can do either.  There are floor protectors for spikes (there are plenty of brands and choices - https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Spikes-Protectors-Isolation-Turntable/dp/B07C2KK96B)  In the case of my main system, I have an area rug that is not super thick and my speakers came with spike like feet (4 of them and they are not as pointy as spikes and the speakers are not rectangular) which are adjustable.  I have floor protectors on the front ones and on the back ones I took carpet remnants left over from the house install and they are a bit thicker and I have them on the remnant (which is on top of tile.  I have a couple of other systems where I have real spikes on top of carpet and padding and I just put the spikes into the carpet.  The idea with spikes is to acoustically couple it to the floor.  I don't drive myself crazy if there might be a slight difference doing one or the other.  I'm one to put a system in a real world living space and take care of the bad problems (e.g meausre response with a RTA and have sound treatments to mitigate/tame the bad problems).  I also have a couple of integrated AC systems, including the main one.  Ideally is theory I'd love to have a nice dedicated space for HT and then another room designed only for 2-channel.  It just wouldn't be practical for me and be able to use my house as living space.  I use my main system mostly for music but it is so good on HT (7.1.4 Atmos with a Power Sound Audio S1500 for the ".1" channel - https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s1500), so here are times when I enjoy it for HT. I have another integrated system in an average sized bedroom that I use mostly for HT and TV.  It still sounds very good for 2-channel and once in a bit I'll listen to it either for myself or when someone is over and interested in hearing the components (I have a preamp with HT Bypass and a nice amp for 2-channel).  Sometime in the near future, I'll be upgrading the UHD TV in that HT system in the bedroom (probably for this year that's my major audio/video upgrade) and getting another UHD player (probably the Panasonic UB9000).

So the advice I would give is get something within your budget that will result in something better than what you have and that you will be happy with and can live with for a bit.  There's other things I want to do but like everything there's budget constraints and I have to have other things done (non-audio) before I can do the audio.  Sometime within the next year or so, I will get my (master) bedroom painted and after that the living room which connects to the dining room, kitchen, downstairs hallway and up a long flight of stairs to the bonus room.  After I get the bedroom done, I'm going to take the main system projector and move out the bedroom system one.  So that system will be upgraded.  I need a new mattress so that will get taken care of first.  Then once the main system projector is gone (which sits on a pole hanging behind my listening position), I will likely get a bigger screen (I have a 100 inch one but will end up with one more 4k friendly and either 110 or 120 inches, assuming the latter will fit between my height channels which it should and I plan to try and mount them a little different, if possible, before the room gets painted) and would like an ultra short throw projector I can stick behind the center channel.  I'll have to see about pricing and other factors (but it would be nice to have the pole gone).  So tackle whatever is in your budget in a priority that makes sense for you and will result in something better than what you have.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2020, 05:13 pm »
Barilko,

Here is a link to my audio rack thread. This particular rack cost me $1500 USD. One could reduce costs by having just two shelves and/or using butcher block shelves.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165010.msg1754122#msg1754122

Michael

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 25 Apr 2020, 05:32 pm »
Barilko,

Here is a link to my audio rack thread. This particular rack cost me $1500 USD. One could reduce costs by having just two shelves and/or using butcher block shelves.

Michael

Really nice work!

Phil A

« Reply #32 on: 25 Apr 2020, 06:02 pm »
In my old house when I got Bush office furniture, I scrapped the oak desk and bookcase that was made for me by an old landscaper.  Didn't want to get rid of all the wood so I took the desktop and made my own legs and used it as a coffee table in the basement.  Not the greatest looking thing in the world, given my primitive woodworking skills, but it was functional.  When I sold my old house, the stager had me move the coffee table in my basement to the grand room (pic below).  One can also go to places that sell large wood slabs (either online or locally) and do a DIY job.  There also are other reasonable things - e.g. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-Mixed-Material-Storage-Furniture-18-9-in-W-x-18-8-in-D-Natural-End-Table-with-Decorative-Shelf-1310/305742606  (one could easily buy two of these or use one and the floor level and I've seen worse).  Or one could buy something like  https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-Mixed-Material-Storage-Furniture-18-9-in-W-x-18-8-in-D-Natural-End-Table-with-Decorative-Shelf-1310/305742606  or  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-3-4-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-PureBond-Maple-Plywood-Project-Panel-Free-Custom-Cut-Available-1826/203553007?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-206120941-_-203553007-_-N   and use it with paint, stain, veneer, paneling, moulding on the sides, etc. and not break the bank.  Real wood and real craftsmenship (not what I do - I tell people all the time if I did any artwork it would belong on the fridge with a magnet) are not cheap (e.g. https://www.amishfurniturefactory.com/stereo-cabinets/)

Barilko

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2020, 06:09 pm »
Barilko,

Michael
Thanks nice looker there
im actually considering building from scratch as well 
note i wont be the builder as i can promise that
Cheers and Thank You....

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2020, 08:52 pm »
Really nice work!

Thanks, Phil.  8)

Despite my sometimes wishing I'd chosen a longer bottom shelf, I'm very happy with this design. There's plenty of space between components and there have been zero heat issues. Actually, <if I wished> the bottom shelf could be removed and replaced with a longer one. Then, I could have the original shelf sliced in half (the long way) and turned into a matching CD rack with two shelves.

3D imaging would be improved if I moved the rack off to the side and kept the amp on a board on the floor, but I'm not in a hurry to do this. My wife still likes it (which is a small miracle in itself!).  :D

Michael

JTF

« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2020, 05:04 pm »
Thanks nice looker there
im actually considering building from scratch as well 
note i wont be the builder as i can promise that
Cheers and Thank You....

Check Etsy. I was able to find someone local on Etsy to build me a tv console and an audio cabinet, using designs I provided. Cost was less than what you'd pay at one of the furniture chains.

Not the greatest pic, but here's the tv console

JTF

« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2020, 05:11 pm »
And some old pics of the cabinet

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2020, 08:14 pm »
 Arts & Crafts style red oak rack with adjustable shelf: