REL Subwoofer Footer Replacement

BobM

REL Subwoofer Footer Replacement
« on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:19 pm »
Has anyone ever tried replacing the rubber footers on a REL sub with spikes, or something similar?

I have a REL Stratus III that shoots downward. I've placed this on a board instead of the carpeting and it definitely tightened up the bass. I was wondering if spiking it to the board might help even more. Wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me what they used and how it worked out, sound wise.

Thanks,
Bob

Phil A

Re: REL Subwoofer Footer Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:22 pm »
I've never tried that.  I use a ceramic tile and found it tightened up the bass vs. firing into the carpet/padding.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm »
With a side firing sub almost any spike might work, but with a down firing sub I would think that the spacing (e.g. height of the footer) will matter quite a bit. Can't just use anything. I will have to measure the height of the rubber foot and see if I can find a spike long enough to use.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2013, 06:23 pm »
With a side firing sub almost any spike might work, but with a down firing sub I would think that the spacing (e.g. height of the footer) will matter quite a bit. Can't just use anything. I will have to measure the height of the rubber foot and see if I can find a spike long enough to use.

My Rels came with spikes (I have 2 Storm IIIs and a Strata III).  I tried the spikes on the Storms when I got them new but preferred the tile.  I never tried the Strata as it initially was in the bedroom system before I moved it to the main system rear channels several years later.

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2013, 07:51 pm »
i think svs recently came out with new aftermarket subwoofer footers. Worth a look as their products are very good in general

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2013, 10:01 pm »
I also tried a tile under the Carver Sunfire, Jr. sub I have in the bedroom system now and still have the tile.  It is a back and front side driver that sits in the corner.  It did not have impact the base response tons but the sub is relatively like and seemed not to flex as much on just the carpet.  I don't have that problem with the Rel Q150 with a forward firing driver as it is much heaver.

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2013, 11:44 pm »
Has anyone ever tried replacing the rubber footers on a REL sub with spikes, or something similar?

I have a REL Stratus III that shoots downward. I've placed this on a board instead of the carpeting and it definitely tightened up the bass. I was wondering if spiking it to the board might help even more. Wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me what they used and how it worked out, sound wise.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob..... If you have a typical suspended floor with basement or first floor below, I wouldn't recommend spiking it to the floor. In my experience this excites unwanted room resonances. This was discovered years ago by spiking a floorstanding speaker to a suspended floor. I can a imagine a powered sub being a real challenge. I think you're currently on the right track with your experiments if you're dealing with a suspended floor. If however, you're set up is on a concrete slab....go for it. This is where I've had a great deal more success spiking loudspeakers and subs. Currently have a REL T-2 spiked thru carpet/pad to concrete. Excellent results with it just firing into the carpet. With that said, I may try Phil's suggestion of sliding a piece of tile underneath the driver just as an experiment. Good luck.

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2013, 02:33 am »
I am in the basement on a concrete slab. There is padding and berber carpet over that. I have a 1" thick maple butcher block board on top of the carpet and the sub on that.

In the past I have tried turning the sub upside down and have the speaker fire upward. I placed the board on the upward facing rubber feet with something heavy on top of it. That worked really well in my other room but not so much in this one, so I turned it back firing downward. However I think it could be "tighter".

I may just try turning it upfiring again and play with the settings to get it right.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2013, 02:48 am »
Bob..... If you have a typical suspended floor with basement or first floor below, I wouldn't recommend spiking it to the floor. In my experience this excites unwanted room resonances. This was discovered years ago by spiking a floorstanding speaker to a suspended floor.

That's exactly what I have - a basement below where the main system is.  I tried the spikes when I first got the 2 Storm IIIs.  I didn't know what was wrong but it it definitely wasn't the best.  When I move in a few months, my Storm III's will be on a tile floor on top of a slab.  My Strata III will be in a bedroom with carpet on top of a slab in a secondary system at some point.  I can revisit the spike or not to spike issue.