Gedlee Abbey, Chase Home Theatre SHO/PRO 10, eD CINEMA 12, Maggies??????

Bear

Anyone have any experience with any combination of these?  Abbey as compared to CHT SHO 10...I read somewhere the sho10's get very close to the Abbey's.  The eD design looks well built and is available with the B&C DE 250 compression driver as an option.

How about Magnepan comparison's between these(specifically the latest *.7 series)?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_141&products_id=1006

http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=596&category_id=28&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142

http://gedlee.com/abbey.htm

Any input welcome and appreciated

Thanks
Shane

cujobob

I own the Gedlee Abbeys and based on what I've read they will have the top sound quality but you'll pay more for it. I love them, I find the price to be a bargain for the sound quality. However, I've done a lot of reading on the SHO 10s and people I trust have raved about their sound quality and for the price, they offer a lot of value. I recommend either depending on what you want to spend. Check out pi speakers, as well.

Nick77

Shane, as mentioned Pi speakers would be an affordable option also. These are Pi4's i just finished building with JBL 15" and DE250. They reside in Austin if you care to audition. :)

TomS

"dguarnaccia" both here and on CHT forum has a setup with Abbeys, SHO's, and CHT subs. You might just ping him as he's not too active here.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
I have Abbeys for 2 channel in a dedicated, but as yet, untreated room.  A few months ago I bought a slew of the sho-10's intended for separate home theater to be made.   I have tried out the sho-10s in place of my gr research ob7 on my living room system by the tv, and really liked them there. Great performance at that price, for sure. 
   I have been meaning to connect the sho-10s in the same place as the Abbeys and get a more direct comparison ( it was just the prospect of moving them around and lining them up is a little bit of a PITA) I will try to get to that comparison this weekend and report what I think, since it sounds like more folks are interested. 

I also picked up 2 of the 18.2 passive subs and having hooked up just one, was impressed, after adding dcx2496 eq to bring up the deep end.

-Tony

TomS

Tony,

I also have two of the CHT SS18.1's along with 3 Geddes bandpass subs. They sound great with excellent extension, though I think there is way more output than I could ever use for 2 channel listening.

Tom

biz97

Very interested in hearing impressions on the sho-10 for music.  I've heard very good things so fat.

Bear

Nick77, something about 15" woofers that make me giggle....I may have to take you up on the audition some time. :thumb:

Toms,  thanks for the lead, I will see if I can get his opinions.

Traderfx, A direct comparo would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
So after comparing the sho-10 to the abbeys...

I would not say the differences are profound, but are definitely there. That judgment of degree is a tricky thing. As we all would probably agree, it usually takes quite a bit to make a significantly better improvement, after a certain point.  So subtle seems more appropriate to me, but others might not agree and think the differences were more significant than I am saying.   

So to try and give some description of the impression... I find the Abbeys easier to listen to. There is more presence, and "cleaner" sound to them, than I heard with the sho's. The soundstage has more embodiment and perhaps you might say "delicate". I think it ends up being a richer more pleasing sound character.

The sho's have a bit sharper edginess.  Some may prefer that.  There seems to be more disembodiment to the soundstage (guess that's repeating above) a hollowness, maybe. Still there is pretty good detail.

I would like to see what someone might be able to do by working on upgrading the crossover, and/or the compression driver tweeter. But then we are really making a new speaker. 

I still think the SHO's are very good for the price. But It would be interesting to compare the ED speaker with the b&c tweeter directly with some Abbeys.

Also, I should mention that my Abbeys have soniccaps platinum bypass caps, as different from stock. 

For this I had used a mac mini > to Legato usb to spdif > to Metrum Octave DAC > to Red wine lvp sig 30 > to Abbeys with a single gr/rythmik sealed servo sub, in a den approx 11 by 14 by 9.

Tony

Bear

Traderfxfan,  thanks a mil.  I too am curious about an B&C 250 implemented into the SHO's and a comparison with the ED's.

I wonder how the sho's or any of the cd waveguides for that matter would do in  a "tri-center" configuration that magnepan/bryston are toying with?