Just Checking in V60 / VLA system

Housteau

Just Checking in V60 / VLA system
« on: 9 Mar 2019, 11:41 pm »

It has been quite a while since I had posted anything and so I thought it was time for an update.  First, I wanted to apologize.  Several people have tried to message me, but I never got the notices and so I have missed them.  If any questions, or thoughts are still current, please try again and I will pay closer attention to the forum.

The core of my system, the speakers and amps have remained very steady.  The mono Daytons still run the VLA towers.  I use the Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono SEs for the upper bass on the V60.  The upper range is covered by either mono Ampzillas, or my Primaluna Prologue 7s.  The one major change here was the replacing of the Behringer DCX with the Xilica 4080.  Although a bit more expensive, I find the vast improvement in sound worth it.  It is a very versatile crossover and excellent room correction device.  I recommend it.

My sources have changed quite a bit over the years, especially with digital.  I have gone from using the Mac Mini and Amarra to using Roon and streaming to an SOtM SMS 200 Ultra.  Just before that was the MicroRendu.  My network really isn't one consisting of just the Mac Mini connected directly to the streamer.  The Mac houses Roon and serves as an attachment point for my hard drives.

The largest improvement over the years has not come through different gear, but by understanding the nature of my room and correcting for it.  Although I have always had a dedicated room for this system, having a dedicated is not the end, just the beginning.  What I mean is, even though you may have ideal ratios and treatments, there is no guarantee.  Often a dedicated room requires more work than a regular living room.  The benefit of having one is that you have the freedom to do what is needed without domestic constraints.  So many times over the years I thought that I had finally arrived only to find out that I had just begun on that journey.  Although each time things did get better. 

I always had a good sound, but I felt a system like this was capable of much more than just good sound, and I was right.  In order to get the best out of your gear, the room and your positions within it needs to be as close to ideal as you can get them.  Right now I feel that I am very close to maximizing my space.  But, I am not going to say that I have arrived.

This is a complex system, even just the V60 can be tricky.  Once again, they are very easy to get to sound good, but it takes time and effort for greatness, which they are capable of. If anyone needs a little help, or could use some suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask.  If you are finding something sounds less than your ideal, then there may be some little thing that you have missed.  I certainly do not have all the answers, but I may have run across your same issues in the past.

« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2019, 10:00 pm by Housteau »

Hipper

Re: Just Checking in V60 / VLA system
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2019, 07:52 pm »
Welcome back Housteau.

Funnily enough I was just reading the other day the discussions about the live versus replay shows Brian Cheney did at CES with your help.

Regarding the Xilica, it seems to be an analogue in and out only device, that is, no digital in our out. Is that correct? Is the reason it sounds better then the DCX perhaps because of the ADC/DAC? I remember Brian said he thought the converters in the DCX were transparent.

I still use (for fourteen years) a Behringer DEQ2496 for EQ but in digital only, placed between a CD Transport and DAC. I've improved the accuracy of my Behringer's PEQ inputs by using Room EQ Wizard to tell me what filters to apply and then apply them manually. This has given me a pretty flat curve up to 200Hz even with no smoothing. Unfortunately I've run out of PEQ filters, the Behringer only having ten per channel. I could do with perhaps double that.

I've also been slowly looking at going the PC route as a source. I already do this for a headphone system with all my CDs ripped. I like the versatility of it.

My room is a bit more industrial looking then yours (but maybe not so much as John Casler's!), with twenty-one bass traps and few other panels. It's perhaps a bit dry sounding for some but I like it on the whole.

Housteau

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:31 am »
Thank you for the welcome back and I certainly remember your user name.  I have just gotten back home from being out of town for two days.  You have asked some good questions.  I will write up a good reply tomorrow after I have had a chance to settle in a bit.

Housteau

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:18 pm »
I really miss those days helping Brian at the shows.  It was nice being able to feel a part of something very special.

Yes the Xilica is analog in and out.  I remember asking Brian on his impressions of the DCX transparency.  He seemed to believe that it came about because of how well the AD and DA halves worked together.  He felt that going digital in might take away from that same transparency, but at the same time strongly believed that any possible negatives of using the DCX in either way were far out weighed by all the positives.  Also remember that Brian only had the chance to just get started working with these units.  There was a lot more I am sure that he would have come up with if only given the time.

I remember seeing the Sanders Sound speakers using the DCX as their crossover at shows.  I had asked Roger Sanders about it and if it had been modified?  His response was that he felt any such mods were not at all necessary and would very well ruin what the unit did by itself.  As far as I know he may very well be still using them.  At one time he did change their faceplates and eliminate some functions just to make it easier for some people to use.  Personally, I used a lot of these capabilities as I do with the Xilica.  Like you I manually use it for room correction.  I believe there are more options and filters available with the Xilica for this.  I am able to correct on both the inputs and outputs which also adds more functionality. 

Legacy Speakers used the Xilica as their crossover until the Wavelet was developed.  Both the DCX and Xilica are professional units and designed to see a full line level signal at their analog inputs and not the output of a preamp.  However, most of us feed these units with a preamp.  So, to get that input signal level up, attenuators need to be used on all the output channels.  This allows these units to work and sound their best.  My DCX was a highly modified one.  It worked as a remote controlled preamp and so those attenuators I use on my Xilica were not necessary.

As to why I fine the Xilica to sound better, I do not have a clue what is to single out.  Like anything in our hobby everything seems to make a difference.  The cost is a good bit higher which allows for better quality parts and construction.  Of that there is no doubt, but is that all there is to it, I really can't say.  My DCX did fail and most likely it was the mod that took it out.  So, it is also possible that I had less than optimum sound from the DCX for quite some time and just never realized it until it was changed out.

I see a lot of bass trapping in your room.  I understand how important that often is for a dedicated room.  I have quite a bit myself that helps along with the Xilica to create a very good frequency response at my listening position.  I am often jealous of those that achieve really good sound without the need for them.

Hipper

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2019, 02:14 pm »
Jim Salk used the DEQX as crossovers for one of his designs some years ago, but of course the DEQX is much more expensive. I was tempted but it's ten times the cost of my Behringer. Whether I've used the Behringer with no adjustments, using its bypass, or completely removed it from the system, I couldn't tell any difference.