Imaging setup question

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Imaging setup question
« Reply #40 on: 5 Feb 2019, 12:34 am »
Mike, the solution is you need to make me an offer I can't refuse for my LS9's... delivered to the LSAF. 
If your room is large enough, they are quality with no top to bottom issues.     

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 5 Feb 2019, 12:38 am »
Mike, the solution is you need to make me an offer I can't refuse for my LS9's... delivered to the LSAF. 
If your room is large enough, they are quality with no top to bottom issues.   

Great idea. Just one problem, not enough room. Then again my wife would be a second problem. She says no way I can bring anything that big into the house.

Captainhemo

« Reply #42 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:49 am »
Line  force /  Super LS's  are   almost  done...   smaller   than   LS9's,   wife  will love them  :wink:

Haven't  tried the test  tracks  but   the  BIA's  thundrstorm roolls right across  my room  and is   at the  ceiling with  my  NX-Otica's...   that being  said,  my ceiling is  not    quite  8'  as I'm  in  a  basement    with a  dropped  ceiling.  I have  a tv in the center  so  I  place my  MR' T's up against the tv on either side and angle them    "out"  slightly,  the inner edge is   just on the edge of the tv while the  outer edge of each is on the wall,.

Close your   eyes when you  do these tests  ,  see if you  notice  any difference. When  your   eyses focus on the  speakers,  so does your  brain

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:56 am »
Line  force /  Super LS's  are   almost  done...   smaller   than   LS9's,   wife  will love them  :wink:

Haven't  tried the test  tracks  but   the  BIA's  thundrstorm roolls right across  my room  and is   at the  ceiling with  my  NX-Otica's...   that being  said,  my ceiling is  not    quite  8'  as I'm  in  a  basement    with a  dropped  ceiling.  I have  a tv in the center  so  I  place my  MR' T's up against the tv on either side and angle them    "out"  slightly,  the inner edge is   just on the edge of the tv while the  outer edge of each is on the wall,.

Close your   eyes when you  do these tests  ,  see if you  notice  any difference. When  your   eyses focus on the  speakers,  so does your  brain

jay

Jay,

How far is your TV out from the wall?  Mine is 16”.

The line force is one I would like however, with only 12x14 ft to work with I don’t see how I could fit them and two servo sub stacks in the room.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #44 on: 5 Feb 2019, 02:13 am »
TV is wall mounted, it's  a small plasma   (43")   and it protruredes about 4.5"s.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 5 Feb 2019, 03:26 am »
TV is wall mounted, it's  a small plasma   (43")   and it protruredes about 4.5"s.

jay

I’m going to have to move everything out of the way, take the TV and ceiling mount bracket down, build and install a 2x4 “wall” in the window opening, then install an out and down TV mount designed to go over a fireplace to getthe TV out of the way.

Greg at PI Audio has given me a couple of ideas to try as well

Mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:14 am »
I’m going to have to move everything out of the way, take the TV and ceiling mount bracket down, build and install a 2x4 “wall” in the window opening, then install an out and down TV mount designed to go over a fireplace to getthe TV out of the way.

Greg at PI Audio has given me a couple of ideas to try as well

Mike

Why not get rid of the TV altogether and use a ceiling mounted projector instead?  The projector and the screen can be recessed into the ceiling and only come down when in use (via a motor). 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:39 am »
Why not get rid of the TV altogether and use a ceiling mounted projector instead?  The projector and the screen can be recessed into the ceiling and only come down when in use (via a motor).

That’s an option. Not sure how well it would work with the ceiling fan/light fixture or how much it would cost. Video is secondary in this system so if it would be expensive I’d rather put the money into the audio setup and/or room acoustics. While moving the TV is going to take some work, the cost will be $10 for studs plus a new mount, under $200.

jazyes

« Reply #48 on: 5 Feb 2019, 03:35 pm »
Mike,
Have you tried the Dire Straits (BIA) track on your N3's?-John

AKLegal

« Reply #49 on: 5 Feb 2019, 03:47 pm »
mlundy- Did you ever try this? I know Early B. responded that he did not like the results when he tried it, but not sure if you gave it a shot.I think that you might be losing a bit with the TV where it is since it goes below the height of your speakers/drivers.

That's the funky thing about room treatments, you cant just do one thing once and get good results unless you are lucky.  You really have to try a bunch of things out.  So covering the tv might simply reveal a bigger problem elsewhere like direct reflections from a side wall or some crazy comb filtering issue.  In your case you might have sound reflecting around the rear of the tv and maybe made worse if the tv cabinet is resonating at a certain frequency.  Try putting a absorbative panel behind the TV AND putting a blanket or panel in front of it and see what happens.  But again this may reveal another issue. :cry:  This is why most people start room treatment by first dealing with side reflections and corner bass traps.  After you do those things, the issues get extremely specific to your particular room and generally easier figure out.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #50 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:19 pm »
That's the funky thing about room treatments, you cant just do one thing once and get good results unless you are lucky.  You really have to try a bunch of things out.  So covering the tv might simply reveal a bigger problem elsewhere like direct reflections from a side wall or some crazy comb filtering issue.  In your case you might have sound reflecting around the rear of the tv and maybe made worse if the tv cabinet is resonating at a certain frequency.  Try putting a absorbative panel behind the TV AND putting a blanket or panel in front of it and see what happens.  But again this may reveal another issue. :cry:  This is why most people start room treatment by first dealing with side reflections and corner bass traps.  After you do those things, the issues get extremely specific to your particular room and generally easier figure out.

Listen to AK Legal, this is very good advice. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #51 on: 5 Feb 2019, 07:35 pm »
Listen to AK Legal, this is very good advice.
Absolutely! Experiment with everything. Measure when appropriate (but trust your ears as well) and try things that may not make sense at first.
It’s amazing how different a room makes the same set of speakers sound.