Total newbie

Nikbp

Total newbie
« on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:27 am »
 Father in law has loaned me his anthem 510 and compared to my lowly pioneer avr it has been an awakening

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Total newbie
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2019, 10:07 am »
Welcome Nik :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2019, 10:16 am »
Welcome to AC, Nikbp.

When I 'discovered' this website just shy of 5 years ago, I was a near-total newbie myself. Oh, how far I've come....and spent and spent and spent and.... :duh: There are plenty of rabbit holes to fall into, so watch your step.  :thumb:

Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:08 am »
Seems like you've been teased into audio.  Like Michael said, it can get expensive, ridiculously so.  Digital for instance has been steadily advancing for 30+ years, so avoid overspending.  Now a days its all about downloads, so don't buy spinners of any kind, instead use computers with plenty of storage.  Avoid large discount stores as their gear is over specified, offer little service, and even less decent advice.  Hang around here to get a good start.

Your first step should be to get a suitable room (larger, NOT a square) that ideally can be setup as a dedicated listening room.  Then shop for speakers, which implies knowing what you want, auditioning, and taking notes.  Knowing what you want means educating yourself on pros and cons of different designs/brands and how they fit into that suitable room.  Auditions should include listening at home.  Note taking forces you to really listen and protects from fleeting aural memory.

garry12

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:01 pm »
Hi I am new to the site.. Great loads of info about Bryston ... Just been introduced to the 4b nrb and a Thresholed T3 preamp.it is a revelation compared to the 25 watt pioneer I have been using.. I was also given a pair of nearly 20 year old bw 803n speakers. I have an old nad turntable that sounds very airy and floaty.. It has never sounded so good... Just wondering if It would be an upgrade to purchase a BP26 PREAMP POWER SUPPLY instead of the Threshold T3.. Would there be a better synergy or are these a good match... I have been told that the T3 IS A CLASS A amplifier and the Bryston is a class AB ... ??

Thanks any comments welcomed... here is a picture

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:35 pm »
Welcome!

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:46 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Nikbp