Audiophiles and country music

Studio19atx

Audiophiles and country music
« on: 7 Dec 2018, 04:25 pm »
Most audiophiles I come across are into Jazz. Anybody here listens to country music on regular basis in their dedicated listening environment.

What are your reference tracks that you use to evaluate/test.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Audiophiles and country music
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2018, 05:13 pm »
I recall Allison Krause being played and referred to more then once.

While I have some country influenced music in my collection I would probably not consider it country.

Here is Applewood Road.  http://applewoodroadmusic.com/  One of my favorite female recordings in the past few years.  And while these ladies have many "Country" hits to their credit I would never put Amber Rubarth in the country listing. 

The Album was recorded in Analog with a single mic and maybe a room mic.

Alan

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2018, 06:07 pm »
Country music is not usually considered audiophile because of the fact that there can be no reference. It sounds like the equipment playing it -- there is nothing there but effects.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2018, 06:25 pm »
Yes, big country fan... blue grass, new grass and western.

Try some Crooked Still, particularly "Shaken by a low sound". One of my best LP's is a live, Hot Rize cut (featuring Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers). lol, It's the Hot Rize guys playing Western style. Alyson Krauss' offerings sound terrific as well.

Not so audiophile but still decent sounding and tremendously gifted are Ricky Skaggs (his play list is extensive). Vince Gill has some good sounding stuff and his song writing is exceptional. Brian Sutton spun out of V. Gill's band as a solo guitarists, his LP "Ready to go" is worth trying. He can burn up a flat top. I saw Sam Bush in concert and nobody puts forth more effort than he, and man can he bend the strings.

And don't forget David Grisman (and Jerry Garcia) their recordings are audiophile worthy and both can really play. Another reference recording I use is their acoustic lp called "So what". It's their interpretation of some classic jazz cuts. It's phenomenal.

-Dieter
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2018, 08:23 pm by Dieterle Tool »

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2018, 06:32 pm »
And... I totally disagree with Macro, most of what I listed are acoustical recordings. There are no electric instruments in blue grass music. They usually stand side by side across the front of the stage and a good stereo kit can simulate this accurately.

-Dieter

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2018, 06:54 pm »
Country music is not usually considered audiophile because of the fact that there can be no reference. It sounds like the equipment playing it -- there is nothing there but effects.

OMG, not considered 'audio fool' .........give me a freakin break !!!

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2018, 07:56 pm »
Most audiophiles I come across are into Jazz. Anybody here listens to country music on regular basis in their dedicated listening environment.

What are your reference tracks that you use to evaluate/test.

Patsy Cline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF0Ugo8kNq8

Willie Nelson and Ray Charles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sewBF0p-WvM

Hillbillie Bone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGoiiwxTWeE

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2018, 08:00 pm »
Bluegrass

Anything by Johnny Staats (shredding the mandolin  :thumb:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_mGMHhHRs

Dan Tyminski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBVnKYOvWcs

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2018, 08:29 pm »

Another closed mind.

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2018, 09:28 pm »
Country makes up a big portion of my listening these days. Anymore, I'm not too concerned if it's a stellar recording or not. If it isn't, I do a little judicious EQing via the DSP (typically boost the bass a bit) via JRiver. More than anything, I listen to music that 'connects' to me rather than what sounds the best on my system.

That typed, here's a few decent sounding recordings:
Aaron Lewis - The Road
Allison Moorer - Miss Fortune
Billy Currington - Doin' Somethin' Right
Brantley Gilbert - Modern Day Prodigal Son
George Strait - It Just Comes Natural, Somewhere Down in Texas
Jack Sundrud (of Poco fame) - by my own hand
Jamie Johnson - pretty much all of his albums
Kenny Chesney - Everywhere We Go
Trace Adkins - Dreamin' Out Loud, Proud to be Here, Songs About Me
Vince Gill - Love Songs
Zac Brown Band - Uncaged

As mentioned, most of the Bluegrass is really well recorded.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2018, 09:33 pm »
OMG, not considered 'audio fool' .........give me a freakin break !!!
+1000.
 I would second Scott selected list also.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2018, 09:57 pm »
Charlie Parker was a Hank Williams fan....  :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2018, 12:12 am »
What country I enjoy tends to be of the "alt" variety. I have most of Lyle Lovett's albums and they are all well recorded. Standouts are "Step Inside This House" and "Pontiac." I also really enjoy Dwight Yoakum. His mixes tend to be on the bright and hot side, so I wouldn't call them reference recordings. K.D. Lang's "Shadowland" was produced by Patsy Cline's producer Owen Bradley and is very good. One old school artist I respect greatly is George Jones. He used to live down the road from us when he was married to Tammy Wynette. He was possessed of an outstanding voice with great nuance and expressivity. His "I Am What I Am" from 1980 is one I return to with some frequency. 1999's "Cold Hard Truth" is another great one.

BobRex

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2018, 01:06 am »
Just out of curiosity, what's the reference for Dark Side of the Moon?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2018, 01:16 am »
Mary-Chapin Carpenter - Jubilee

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2018, 02:22 am »
I buy more country than other things these days.

Here is one I love: Waylon Jennings - Dreaming my Dreams. But it needs to be the Indianapolis plant, with gold label. https://www.discogs.com/Waylon-Dreaming-My-Dreams/release/9311241

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2018, 02:38 am »
I am mostly a rock and Jazz fan, but I enjoy Norah Jones quite a bit. Her recoprdings are very good. One country recording I listened to a lot was Trio, by Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, and Emmylou Harris. Johnny Cash would be my top pick if I wanted to listen to country.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2018, 03:12 am »
If we are picking Country stars to enjoy... I find Patsy Cline to be amazing. Her voice is magical.
Johnny Cash also has a great voice.
I don't care what they are singing.. it is the heartfelt emotion they bring to the music.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2018, 05:25 am »
There isn't too much country I like. The vintage stuff is too twangy, some of the classic stuff is alright, and the modern stuff is like modern Pop music (most of it doesn't interest me).

They should delete both kinds of music; Country, and Western.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2018, 06:27 am »
Western music is so rare today I have forgotten this gem musical genre, most tunes are symphonic music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxvej27d8N0