What preamp are you using?

mmmbeer

What preamp are you using?
« on: 31 Oct 2018, 06:47 pm »
Hello all

If there's a thread about this, please let me know.  I just created an account and apparently I'm not allowed to search the forum yet :)

I just placed an order for a new Bryston 4b3 on Friday and am currently in the market for a preamp to drive it (I'll test 'em out once the unit is received).  I hear tube pre's are great for any of the bryston amps, so my question is: what are you guys using?  It's a very large rabbit hole and it would be cool to use your references as research material.  Cheers

gberger

• Check 6
Re: What preamp are you using?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2018, 08:20 pm »
For several years, I've used a BP-6C with my 4BSST2 amplifier, driving Thiel 2.7 speakers.   I spin all varieties of. Classical and organ CDs with a BCD-3.  I've never had the "itch" to upgrade until the BP17cubed became available  (and my discretionary income would let me get one.) Now, I have one on order and it should be in my system by the end of next week.

Every review I've read about the 17 and the 4B cubed have been very positive.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2018, 09:01 pm »
With Magnepan 20.7s I use a Bryston 4BSST² amplifier. Same time I bought the amp I bought Bryston BP-26 preamp.
Since then I have added VAC Standard (currently not working)
Conrad Johnson ACT2
Audible Illusion Modulus 3A
Before I bought the Bryston gear, I owned and still use Audio Research SP-15, and a Onkyo Grand Integra P309
So yes I have used all of these in my current system. And actually the ARC and AI are my current phono boxes.
Over the eight years since I got the Bryston BP-26 It has never been a bottleneck as I improve other aspects of my system. I would recommend a BP-26 anytime, and would buy it again without any hesitation. Used are about $2600 to $3000
If you have problems with Digital playback, a nice tube preamp is great. If you like clarity like a straight wire with gain, no better than the Bryston BP-26. Which BTW, is in TAS recommended components this year.

(I would recommend against buying a Audible Illusions anything. LOL)
VAC is good but really pricy, even used. (different models use different tubes)
Neutral on Conrad Johnson, the later models Russian tubes are getting scarce...

Ola_S

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:01 pm »
I use the new preamp from Swedish Sybarite Audio together with 7b3 (and 28B), the model is no1622. Like the Bryston preamps (I also have a Bp-25 and a BP-26) it is fully discrete and also have a RIAA section for both MC and MM.

"Sybarite Audio No 1622 preamplifier - THD versus frequncy at different loadings (150, 600 and 100 k ohms). Thanks to the all discrete, class A circuitry, the No 1622 output stage is remarkably load tolerant - not even the punishing 150 ohms load causes any issues as far as linearity is concerned!"

Spyman

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum, mmmbeer. Lots of good people and advice here. I bought the BP-26 about two years ago and I love it! I use it with a 4bsst2 and Bryston Mini-T speakers. The preamp opened up the sound a lot and I can’t stay away from listening! I think you would like it with your system.

Terry

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"

RonCH

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2018, 08:38 am »
Simaudio Moon P-8

Markwatkiss

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2018, 10:29 am »
I've had a long history with Bryston amps from the original 3B to the current production 4B3.Pairing with an accomplished tube pre amp always delivered the best results,Audio Research products in particular.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2018, 12:01 pm »
ARC LS27.
Very nicely matched with my Bryston 14B-2 and Mozart Grand speakers.

gene9p

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2018, 01:53 pm »
Vinnie Rossi LIO..

Ron D

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2018, 01:54 pm »
With my former 4B-ST and 14B-SST I used Rogue Audio Mag 66 & Mag 99, Hovland HP-100, Audio Horizons 2.1, Lamm LL2 Deluxe and L2-Ref & BP-26. My favorite was the LL2 Deluxe

When I had 7B-SST2 I mated them with BP-17, ARC LS26 and ARC Ref 3 - best was the Ref 3

You can see I've been partial to tubes in front of the amps I've owned.

Never owned a cubed amp but finally heard a 4B3 at a buddy's place last month. He's had it for over 2 years which is a testament to the amp itself as he's never kept any amp that long and he's had a few including some monster Krell ones. He just sold his BP-26 in favor of a Krell Evo 2 preamp which he says is the best preamp he's ever owned and really mates well with his 4B3 amp.

As always YMMV, enjoy the ride.

jtinto

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2018, 09:28 pm »
BP-26 MM/MC
Clearaudio Performance/Maestro
BDP-3/BDA-3
7B3/Model T Signature/PX-1

I listen for hours every day and still dream about going active ...

TJ-Sully

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2018, 10:59 pm »
BP-20 with 4BSST2 over here in Eastern Canada. Sounds deadly.
I like the way Elizabeth describes the sound - crystal clear - like a straight wire with gain. That about nails it. True to the source with precision.

There is something to be said about paring electronics from the same designer / manufacturers. Inherent synergy...maybe.

Having said that.....I am very interested trying a tube pre-amp with my 4B.  Never had tubes before - and I think the preamp would be the best place to have them.

good luck.

TJ

veloceleste

« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2018, 11:09 pm »
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2023, 08:37 pm by veloceleste »

Simm

« Reply #14 on: 1 Nov 2018, 11:15 pm »
Audio Research SP20

mmmbeer

« Reply #15 on: 1 Nov 2018, 11:35 pm »
Thanks for all the insight.  If I can get my hands on a BP17 or 26 to audition I would love to try it- unfortunately nobody has one locally.   A consistent theme I see is either the super clean path (BP17/26) or Tube.  I'm going to test out some tube pre's that I can get my hands on and see what it does to the sound.  I partly bought my 4b3 as a solid, neutral, power amp so I can build other sources and preamps around it.  I do have a BDA-3 DAC which sounds incredible.  Cheers, this is the fun part

Delta77

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2018, 10:27 am »
Using a Decware CSP3 preamp.
It really has no features, no remote control and only 2 sets of RCA’s..
I bought it for my headphones, but incorporated it into the main system and haven’t looked back..
This preamp is making me happy 😃

« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2018, 01:02 pm by Delta77 »

TJ-Sully

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2018, 03:35 pm »
hey mmmbeer - what speakers are you running?

plastico

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2018, 03:45 pm »
I'm using a ARC SP9 with my 4BST and couldn't be happier!
Cheers, Doug

TJ-Sully

« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2018, 03:48 pm »
Hi Doug - nice setup. what speaks are you running, and what type of music do you mostly listen to? 
TJ