BDP-3 blues . . .

Ilkatze

BDP-3 blues . . .
« on: 20 Oct 2018, 04:43 pm »
I've got the BDP-3 blues again.

Recently, I was getting the problem described below, and issue was cleared up with a firmware update (many thanks to Chris and James).

Unfortunately, the issue has returned.

The problems have been multiple (e.g., Wifi won't connect or isn't detected; BDP will be unreachable at one moment, despite being previously reachable; varying messages/characters on display during boot), but the main one has returned.

When going to my.bryston.com, I get the screen you see in this message.

I placed the unit in service mode, then started writing this message.

I went to to get a screen shot to upload it here, but the normal screen came up with my.bryston.com.

I took the unit out of service mode, and I continued to get a normal screen.

I turned the unit off.  After shutdown, I turned it on again.

I went to my.bryston.com, and the "bad" screen came back.

This intermittent fucntioning has been going on for a while now.

The unit is now returned to service mode:

SERVICE:ON:114

With hope that Chris can work some some long-lasting/permanent magic to put an end to the BDP-3's antics :)

« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2018, 12:18 am by Ilkatze »

Calypte

Re: BDP-3 blues . . .
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2018, 05:14 pm »
Does the service ID change every time it's accessed, or does is it unique but stable for a particular unit?

Ilkatze

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2018, 05:17 pm »
Hello, Calypte.

Today, the service ID stayed the same:  114.

On other occasions, it has varied.

It's hard not to miss at times the BCD-1 I had that functioned perfectly for years.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2018, 08:39 pm »
Thanks for posting your experiences. Hope you get it sorted out.

I've been paranoid about updating anything -- iOS on my devices, and BDP software. I guess it was a good decision...for me. Mine runs smoothly so far, with older firmware. Not the latest.

cheers

Calypte

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2018, 09:09 pm »
I've had issues with firmware 2.38 where I have to power cycle the BDP-pi to get things working again.  If I have a hangup, and then I have to leave MM to get a service ID, there may be nothing to see at when the mothership connects to the player.

gbaby

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2018, 10:07 pm »
I regret you are having problems, but this is nothing that cannot be permanently fixed by Chris. When I received my upgraded BDP-3, I could not get it up and running when it arrived. However, Chris had me to put it in service mode, and after an hour of manipulating my router, my unit has worked flawlessly since that time, and I am using my unit with wi fi antennas on the unit. I know its hard, but be patient because Chris always has a fix. :D I believe that rhymes. :o

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2018, 10:11 pm »
I forgot to mention I am running 2.38. For the first time ever, all music that I import playback in the same order that is on the CD. 8)

Ilkatze

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2018, 12:32 am »
The service ID is now 118.

The unit seemed to have frozen earlier, so I shut it down, then restarted it.

It was at normal operation, but I've seen that before, so I restarted it again, and got  a screen saying that the unit was unreachable.

I shut down the unit, restarted it, and then it was okay.

I've put it back into service mode in case there's something that Chris notes in the log.

Calypte

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2018, 12:34 am »
Is the log cleared every time the unit is powered up, or does it get saved?

Ilkatze

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2018, 12:47 am »
I don't know when the log gets cleared.  Whatever happens to it, I hope there's something that can help Chris know what's going on with the player.

It malfunctions randomly, it seems.

Calypte

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2018, 04:36 am »
I was hoping Chris or someone from Bryston could answer my question about the log.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2018, 02:32 pm »
Hi Calypte,

The logs are stored in volatile memory and as such are lost when ever the unit is turned off.  Please just place the BDP into service mode, email us the service ID and leave the unit on.

Chris

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:59 pm »

...don't have the BDP-3 but my BDP-1 still drives me crazy as well...

it simply seems to loose the ability to connect itself to the ethernet - however, the unit is mostly offline once it was turned off and then turned on again.

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

al.

Calypte

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2018, 07:05 am »
Hi Calypte,

The logs are stored in volatile memory and as such are lost when ever the unit is turned off.  Please just place the BDP into service mode, email us the service ID and leave the unit on.

Chris
Within seconds after setting Service Mode "on" and displaying a service ID, Service Mode spontaneously reverted to "off."  There's no way I can send an email during the fleeting moments Service Mode is "on."

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2018, 04:48 pm »
Within seconds after setting Service Mode "on" and displaying a service ID, Service Mode spontaneously reverted to "off."  There's no way I can send an email during the fleeting moments Service Mode is "on."

Do any of the internet features work? Does the update firmware page display the README? does bradio play?

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2018, 08:34 am »
Do any of the internet features work? Does the update firmware page display the README? does bradio play?

Chris

(1) "Update Firmware" shows the README.  Works on both computer and Android cell phone.
(2) bRadio works on computer.  It does not play anything on the cell phone.

Edited to add: I couldn't get internet radio to work on my Android cell phone at all.  I can bring up a list of stations, but I can't get them to play on the cell phone.  It says there's no valid URL.

On the computer, I can play bRadio stations.  But there's a white window where I think the URL of the selected channel is supposed to appear.  Nothing appears in that window, but music plays.  When I tried classical stations, it seemed to me that what I heard corresponded to the claimed format of the station.  But when I tried jazz stations, no matter what I chose, only one station played.  I suppose oddities like that are beyond Bryston's control. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2018, 05:31 pm »
(1) "Update Firmware" shows the README.  Works on both computer and Android cell phone.
(2) bRadio works on computer.  It does not play anything on the cell phone.

Edited to add: I couldn't get internet radio to work on my Android cell phone at all.  I can bring up a list of stations, but I can't get them to play on the cell phone.  It says there's no valid URL.

On the computer, I can play bRadio stations.  But there's a white window where I think the URL of the selected channel is supposed to appear.  Nothing appears in that window, but music plays.  When I tried classical stations, it seemed to me that what I heard corresponded to the claimed format of the station.  But when I tried jazz stations, no matter what I chose, only one station played.  I suppose oddities like that are beyond Bryston's control.

It sounds like your missing the October update I released last week.  Have you tried turning service mode on from the menu on the front of the BDP?

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2018, 05:47 pm »
It sounds like your missing the October update I released last week.  Have you tried turning service mode on from the menu on the front of the BDP?

Chris
That's the only place I've tried the service mode.  It flipped off within a second or two of turning it on. 

Edited to add: MM always tells me there's an available update.  It doesn't matter if I updated five minutes ago.  It tells me there's an available update.  The one on my BDP-pi at this moment dates from Sep 4.

Edited again: The firmware update to the Oct 22 firmware doesn't work.  The process ends up at a screen where there is a tiny spinning thing, and it never resolves.  I let the update run for 5-1/2 hours without resolution.  When the dust settles, my firmware is still the Sep 4 version.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2018, 04:05 am by Calypte »