New C•100S 100w per channel stereo amplifier

CIAudio

New C•100S 100w per channel stereo amplifier
« on: 14 Aug 2018, 05:50 pm »
We're starting production and will start shipping in October!
The new C•100S is a compact, high performance stereo amplifier. This model offers the same great CI sound & performance, but at less power and in a much smaller chassis. It makes a nice little stack with PLC•1 and PEQ•1  :)

At only 8.5"w x 2.5"h x 9.0"d, this amplifier produces 100w per channel into 8 ohms, 180w per channel into 4 ohms (both channels driven).

Features include fully machined aluminum chassis with laser-engraved text and logo, nonmagnetic stainless steel hardware, user-selectable gain (26dB/32dB via rear panel DIP switch), detachable IEC power cord, high quality gold/teflon RCA jacks, gold-plated 5-way binding posts, and 5 year parts & labor warranty.

We will demo these at the RMAF October 5-7, and start shipping as soon as we return. $1495

fredgarvin

Re: New C•100S 100w per channel stereo amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2018, 06:53 pm »
Sounds great, I'll be looking forward to the news.

Nordkapp

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2018, 11:39 am »
Dusty, any more details? Power supply, output stage, etc?

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2018, 12:28 pm »
C•100S uses a 400w switching power supply with heavy steel faraday shield, custom JFET input stage and regulation circuitry (similar to E•200S), and UcD output stage. The entire signal path is very short... less than 5" from input to output!

I’ll post photos and specifications soon.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2018, 10:20 pm »
I've been doing a lot of listening/testing with C•100S... all I can say is WOW!
This little guy sounds like a pair of mega $ mono's, but is only 8.5"w x 2.75"h x 10"d, and weighs less than 6 lbs!
With a high input impedance, low output impedance, and selectable gain, make it compatible with most any preamp/speaker system.

Preliminary specifications are:

Power Output: 180w per channel into 4 ohms (both channels driven)/100w per channel into 8 ohms (both channels driven).
THD+Noise: <.006% (1 watt/1kHz)
IMD: <0.005%
Input Impedance: 100k ohms (Teflon insulated RCA jacks)
Output Impedance: .015 ohms (5-way binding posts)
Voltage Gain: 26dB/32dB (user-selectable via external DIP switches)
Input Sensitivity: 1.4V/26dB, 0.7V/32dB
Maximum current output: 14A (per channel)
Power consumption: <15w (idle)/90% efficient @ rated power
Dimensions: 8.5"w x 2.75"h x 10"d (including binding posts, etc.)
Warranty: 5 Years P&L
Made in USA
Retail Price $1495
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2018, 06:40 pm by CIAudio »

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2018, 02:54 am »
and finally... front & rear photos!

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2018, 11:51 pm »
and a few more...

inside

with PLC•1

with PLC•1 and PEQ•1

Leifer

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2019, 07:20 am »
I like the idea of this new amp....power savings, plus good sound (I assume, or hope).

I'm in the market for a new amp. (my very old amp = B&K ST140)

My new speakers are arriving. They are Dynaudio "Special 40".
specs are....
Sensitivity: 86dB (2.83V / 1m) @ 6 ohms.
I'm in a small room, 10' x 15'.
I don't play loud, but I like low-amplitude high fidelity (lol)

I'm thinking the C-100s amp with these speakers might be a worthwhile try.
Does this combo seem logical ?

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2019, 01:30 pm »
C•100S should work great in your system. It will have plenty of power for the Dynaudio’s in a small to medium sized room. It is a very musical and dynamic amplifier and will sound “big” even at low levels.

Leifer

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2019, 09:49 pm »
Thank you for the reply....
ordering a C100s this week.

One other question......If connected directly from a CPU sound-card (balanced in/out) is it better to put an attenuation before the amp...like your passive options or an active pre ?.... just in case the PC app does not attenuate ? I have options here.

BTW, is K. Halverson associated with you guys ? In storage, I have a Muse 175 monoblock pair. Might want a re-cap ?

Leifer

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2019, 10:01 pm »
aka....re-cap the large PSU caps. It's been about 20 years for those older amps.

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2019, 12:07 am »
Thank you for the reply....
ordering a C100s this week.

One other question......If connected directly from a CPU sound-card (balanced in/out) is it better to put an attenuation before the amp...like your passive options or an active pre ?.... just in case the PC app does not attenuate ? I have options here.

BTW, is K. Halverson associated with you guys ? In storage, I have a Muse 175 monoblock pair. Might want a re-cap ?

You should be able to use the digital volume control from the computer but performance varies depending on the circuit.
A passive between the soundcard and amplifier would be better.

Sorry but we have no association with K. Halverson.

Leifer

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2019, 06:45 am »
Ordered the 100s amp, and the PLC 1 mkII (passive w/remote)
Done deal.
Thanks so much.
I have previously built cables to match my soundcard's balanced output, to single-ended. (Pin 3 disconnected at the RCA destination.) (RME soundcard)
If I finally get my VPI scout turntable out of storage, I might check out your Phono Pre.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2019, 12:02 pm by Leifer »

CIAudio

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2019, 05:23 pm »
Ordered the 100s amp, and the PLC 1 mkII (passive w/remote)
Done deal.
Thanks so much.
I have previously built cables to match my soundcard's balanced output, to single-ended. (Pin 3 disconnected at the destination.) (RME soundcard)
If I finally get my VPI scout turntable out of storage, I might check out your Phono Pre.

Thanks... I hope you enjoy it, it's an awesome combo!

Leifer

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2019, 03:50 am »
First listen to the C*100s with the PLC*1 mkII.
(after several first hours,  with the C100  gain switch set to the recommended 32dB for the passive PLC )

First of all, where is it ?

By that I mean... the small space this pair occupies is (happily) compact, and considered "tiny" to my past linear A/B amps and pre combo.
The other reason I can't find it.........is,  it's dead quiet, even with the PLC volume up more than I'll ever realistically listen (over 3 o'clock.)
 Putting my ear up to my speaker.... nothing. This was through my streaming Samsung Note 8 on "pause" via the headphone output.
This was true as well, with just an unused/open PLC input set to listen.

The other source is my very large Eurorack synthesizer with non-shielded analog and digital modules (my other hobby). I noticed no crosstalk or bleed into the other PLC channels, even when cranking the synth's connected output.
Granted, there is some hiss when monitoring my modular synth, prob because my 1980's Kawai mixer (SE), or the synth modules themselves can produce accumulated hiss. The PLC seems to be reproducing what's fed into it. So, no surprise there.....the hiss was there before the CIAudio units...... and ONLY when that channel was active (selected)

Perhaps my impression seems meaningless, because I haven't fed it with hi-rez signals.
BUT..... what I've been sending it, is audio that I am familiar with, which is the best initial test anyway.

Associated equipment not already mentioned.....

Dynaudio Special 40 speakers (6 ohm, 86dB (2.83v/1m).
Canare RCA interconnects, under 6 ft. (nothing special, but well shielded).
6 foot pair of 14 gauge low-budget OFC flat speaker cable, soldered banana plugs.
All mentioned gear is connected to one 120v wall circuit.
Have not connected it to my PC soundcard yet...(my PC is sick, another story completely).

Leifer

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2019, 03:34 am »
Upon powering-up, there is no thump or sound (good).
But upon power- down, I get a rather loud "zap" sound from my monitors.
Is this normal ?

CIAudio

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2019, 01:19 pm »

No, it should turn off with with just a small “tick”.
Give us a call so we can help you.

Leifer

« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2019, 02:09 am »
Talked with CIAudio, they were VERY helpful and accommodating,  and we are working on finding a complete solution.
Excellent personalized service.

Nordkapp

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2019, 02:22 am »
Dusty is the best. Period.

Nordkapp

« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2021, 01:04 am »
I received a C-100s several days ago. The shipping was prompt and it arrived safely. As per usual, the CIA packaging is sufficent and tidy. The apparent build quality is also classic CI- simple in appearance but very robust. After hooking up all necessay cable from preamp to speakers, the amp was turned on and has been fed a steady signal since then. As an owner of CIA's D-200 mkiis, motivation to purchase of this amp came from an urge to reduce system footprint size without any apparent loss of system sonics and synergy. And to be honest, that's a very tall order imho. The D-200s are spectacular in every regard. Only after I've had ample living time with the C-100s will I report back with my impressions. I will say it does sound promising based on loose, casual 10 minute sit downs. System chain goes like this-CIA DMC-1 & Teac PD501-HR (cdp) > Schiit Freya S > C100s > Audio Physic Classic III.
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2021, 10:55 pm by Nordkapp »