New to the circle

jfh

New to the circle
« on: 7 Aug 2018, 04:13 am »
Hello All,
I’m new to the circle,
curious about anyone’s comments on why and how a circuit designer chooses a certain tube,  and does it really matter considering how many great amps have very different tubes. 
JFH

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to the circle
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2018, 04:18 am »
Welcome JFH :thumb:
Usually designers choose a tube for low price or plenty stocks on the market, if you are referring to power tubes they usually use ubiquitous Pentodes as KTs.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2018, 07:31 am »
Welcome to AC JFH,

There are many people here who should be able to give you good input on this, me not being one of them.

The Tube o phile circle is probably a good place for a discussion about this subject, it's a great question.

I hope you enjoy your time here and it was great meeting you today :thumb:

Greg

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2018, 10:23 am »
Again, I'm no tube expert, but tubes come in many different designs and built qualities from many different companies.  Cost is only a very rough guide to quality, but different circuit designs dictate which tubes can be used.  Tube rolling, swapping out one set of tubes for another usually changes the sound of the preamp, buffer, or power amp.  Perhaps someone can recommend a tube handbook that explains the differences in basic tube circuits and why certain tubes are used in them.  In my experience tube rolling is most effective in power amp output circuits. 

Dabbled in tubes as always sought true tube magic - palpability (image density, touchable, tangible) but only found it an integrated amp that unfortunately output was too limited for my use and also had tons of bass flabbiness (was designed to complement high efficiency, bass weak speakers - this was a classic pairing 60 years ago).  Never wanted to add colorations from source or amplification (speakers unavoidably have enough).

Heard no advantage of tubes in well regarded DAC and preamp (rolled to high end/recommended tubes from stock in both and they both had solid state options).  Also had a Stereophile Class A recommended integrated that I rolled half a dozen sets of output tubes in and out of, which did provide a different sound each time.  EL34 tubes made everything sound warm; the KT 66, 88, and 120 all sounded similar to my 10 year old class D mono-blocks; KT 77 sounded a bit better; 6550 sounded the best, but still only slightly better than those mono-blocks that were much cheaper to buy/operate and easier to live with.  BTW my tiny, modern 70 watt Temple Audio mono-blocks sound much better than either.

jfh

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2018, 12:25 pm »
Thank you for the responses,
I built the DTQWT-212-mkII speakers from Troels Gravesen and purchased the amplifier he recommends for the speakers, the SAC Thailand Glowmaster KT-88.  To my ears a great sounding combination.  I just have the disease that many of us carry of wondering what else is to be discovered.  Hence my curiosity about amp design and the sonic characteristics of certain tubes.  I will likely end my search back at the Glowmaster.  But in the meantime I will try a couple different classes of amps.  Push/Pull, SE, OTL etc.
Just beginning to dig into circuit design and philosphy of tubes, negative feedback seems to be a starting point.
Thanks,
JFH

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2018, 12:42 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2018, 11:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jfh    :thumb: