Hypex Ncore Fusion Plate Amp

HT cOz

Hypex Ncore Fusion Plate Amp
« on: 21 Jun 2018, 05:37 am »
Rick,

I understand that you are amenable to working with DSP solutions for a customer's project.  I’m curious on your thoughts of the new Hypex FusionAmp Three-Way models: FA123, 2x125W + 100W Tweeter.  As you are aware, I’m looking to buy a speaker kit in August and am looking at the Ceramica with the BZ Labs tweeter.  What would you recommend if the three-way Fusion plate amp as the foundation of a speaker project? 

Thanks,
Robert
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2018, 04:52 am by HT cOz »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Fusion Plate Amp
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2018, 09:53 pm »
Rick,

I understand that you are amenable to working with DSP solutions for a customer's project.  I’m curious on your thoughts of the new Hypex FusionAmp Three-Way models: FA123, 2x125W + 100W Tweeter.  As you are aware, I’m looking to buy a speaker kit in August and am looking at the Ceramica with the BZ Labs tweeter.  What would you recommend if the three-way Fusion plate amp as the foundation of a speaker project? 

Thanks,
Robert

Ah, they finally are shipping! The DSP gives you a great deal of flexibility. Many different options.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2018, 11:27 pm »
They. Are.  Awesome.

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2018, 01:15 am »
Thanks, Rick for taking on this project! :thumb:   I decided that for $100 per unit more I should get the FA 253 model which can be run 2x 250w with 1 x 100w or 1x500w with 100w.  These seem to be a great bargain considering 3 channels of Ncore power plus the DSP and DAC. They are heading straight to Selah HQ :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2018, 04:29 am by HT cOz »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2018, 01:41 pm »
Thanks, Rick for taking on this project! :thumb:   I decided that for $100 per unit more I should get the FA 253 model which can be run 2x 250w with 1 x 100w or 1x500w with 100w.  These seem to be a great bargain considering 3 channels of Ncore power plus the DSP and DAC. They are heading straight to Selah HQ :popcorn:

Looking forward to it!

Nick V

Re: Hypex Ncore Fusion Plate Amp
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2018, 08:54 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what 3-way speakers are you putting them in, or will this be a completely custom design?

Edit: Nevermind, Ceramica with BZ Labs tweeter.

Is it approx $1,000 USD (or just over $1,200 CDN) for the pair of the FA253 fusion amps? All I could find was the price in Euros.

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2018, 05:27 am »
Nick - I purchased 2 x FA253 with a remote and remote control kit for EUR 886 which is ~$1,033 including shipping.  Super nice speakers by the way.  I love the finish and driver selection!

My thought process was that I was looking at a DAC for $300 and was going to spend another $300 on a DIY amp add shipping and thats $650.  I’m looking to get a speaker kit and crossover parts upgrades are also expensive.  Additionally, I need my gear to work at 110v and 220v which these amps do very well.  Plus I can sell my current Marantz receiver.  It is pretty close to being even on the cost front if you are building from scratch or are upgrading.  The parts which are Ncore amps (6ch), AKM DAC, and DSP are priced very competitively. 

As for the speaker, I’ll give Rick a lot of room to be creative but in general like what I’ve read of the SB Ceramic builds and trust Ricks review of the BZ tweeter.  I also would like to try an AE TD8M.  Maybe a mtm mm with 4” and 8” drivers or a tm mm.  I’m sure Rick already has something in mind which takes advantage of the active approach.

A little about me, I’m currently living in India where I’ll spend the next year.  I’ve been here for the last two years with my family.  In year three, I’m going it alone.  So I’m getting back to my audio hobby to pass the time.  I’ve built GR Research Neo 3 TL in the past and currently have a Salk WOW1.  I really like the WOW1 but it runs out of steam for all my uses which include Music, TV and gaming.  I’ve also found a cabinet builder from Germany which can build anything.  So complex cabinets are a possibility.  I’ll probably have them finished in Gunmetal metallic gray automotive paint.  In India anything which in manually labor intensive is very inexpensive.  I’ve considered translam builds etc.  Not exactly sure how it will turn out...

Thanks,
Robert 

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2018, 04:32 pm by HT cOz »

Nick V

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2018, 06:16 pm »
...My thought process was that I was looking at a DAC for $300 and was going to spend another $300 on a DIY amp add shipping and thats $650.  I’m looking to get a speaker kit and crossover parts upgrades are also expensive.  Additionally, I need my gear to work at 110v and 220v which these amps do very well.  Plus I can sell my current Marantz receiver.  It is pretty close to being even on the cost front if you are building from scratch or are upgrading.  The parts which are Ncore amps (6ch), AKM DAC, and DSP are priced very competitively...

That appears to be a sound thought process to me. (pun intended)

Seems like a heck of a deal when you consider what one might spend on separate amps, preamps, DACs, etc..

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2018, 09:43 pm »

Listening to Ricks masters creation.  Very very nice.  Something I could be happy with for sure.

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2018, 07:23 pm by jtwrace »

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2018, 12:43 pm »
Listening to Ricks masters creation.  Very very nice.  Something I could be happy with for sure.

Jason

Considering your setup and experience with the hobby that’s a good vote!   :thumb:  I’ll probably end up with something similar but using the BZ tweet and SB 4” Ceramica.  Should be fun...

Nick V

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2018, 02:13 pm »
I'm really interested to see the outcome of this project.

Is it still moving forward?

HT cOz

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2018, 03:52 pm »
Hypex was backordered and couldn’t deliver in time for me to bring the kit back to India at the end of August.  Alternatively, I’ve ordered a passive Ceramica with the Raal tweeters.  In place of the Hypex units, I’m going to run a Hifimediy es9038pro with the TI TPA3255 Eval amp.  This setup is probably a bit less expensive but should still be impressive... Hopefully lol

Links

https://hifimediy.com/uda38pro-usb-dac-es9038pro

http://www.ti.com/tool/TPA3255EVM

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2018, 01:16 am »
I'll be holding off on using the Hypex amps until they get the bugs worked out in the firmware and software.

orez

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2019, 07:27 am »
Hypex was backordered and couldn’t deliver in time for me to bring the kit back to India at the end of August.
@HT cOz:  Did you get around to using the Hypex at all? Have not come across anyone using Hypex here in India, plenty of people using miniDSP though. Any feedback would be welcome. Because I do not want to get them shipped all the way here with Customs etc. and end up realizing they are not working or I cannot work well with them :)