Just Looking For Thoughts

brucemarnold

Just Looking For Thoughts
« on: 26 May 2018, 08:07 pm »
Howdy--I'm just looking for some thoughts on my planned setup here. I'm not on my final pair of speakers, yet, so I'm just looking for opinions on these ideas without taking those into account.

I listed to a lot of "reverb" type of music that isn't too detailed: Smooth Jazz, Deep House, a lot of "floaty" electronica/downtempo, Chillwave, and singers like Lisa Shaw and Samantha James. I know. I'm a terrible person that isn't taking advantage of my system, but if you could help me given my musical naivete, I'd really appreciate it.

As such, I'd like to put together a system that is a "tad" tube-y, but I'm feeling like I'd want to have a lot of the tube-y-ness in the preamp. The only other thing I require is that the preamp/linestage has to have a remote-controlled volume.

Right now, my idea is to use either a Rogue Audio ST-100 or a Don Sach's amp and either a Don Sach's preamp, ModWright LS-100, or a Manley Jumbo Shrimp to feed it. With that, maybe you can see where I'm trying to go, and I would love to hear ideas on these components and how each might meet my requirements and how they might fit together. If you can think of other equipment that might fit me better, I'd be more than happy to hear, but I would like to avoid "option paralysis" to some extent. Also, I get that I can change the tubes in these, so if you have suggestions for that, that would be great, but I'd also like just your thoughts on the default items that come with these.

Thank you, in advance!

mick wolfe

Re: Just Looking For Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2018, 04:11 pm »
Total speculation on my part, but from the components mentioned, I'd go with the Don Sach's pre/amp combo for synergy concerns alone. You might be able to coax a bit of lushness by rolling some NOS tubes, but I don't believe any of the components mentioned are known for a classic tubey/lush presentation. Then choose a tube friendly, efficient speaker ( Zu, Klipsch, Tekton, etc.) that's not over analytical and you should be good to go.