What to do with my hemispherical rack feature?

Big Red Machine

What to do with my hemispherical rack feature?
« on: 31 Aug 2017, 12:56 pm »
I have never completely finished this prototype moveable wall I built to hide my rack. I quickly stretched some fabric over it and moved on. I can see through the stretched material and that bugs me and I cannot get it out of my head that the shape should either be used as diffusion and/or absorption. So instead of recovering it fully opaque with material should I place Alpha narrow panels over its 180 degree shape floor to ceiling? What would we expect the impact to be?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=2221

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: What to do with my hemispherical rack feature?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2017, 01:15 pm »
I've always had a minimalistic system and so small equipment racks.  Years ago I confirmed the negative effect of putting an obstruction between speakers in a small HT system when the image of a panning sound effect was totally disrupted by the obstruction.  But in the past year I went to the next step by replacing my very small rack with a piece of leftover shelving that I spiked to the floor (like a combined amp stand).  This setup (seen in decades past) opened up the entire space between speakers and front wall.

So I'd recommend losing the obstruction and set up your gear as low to the floor as possible.