Deadfish

electricbear

Deadfish
« on: 2 Sep 2014, 06:14 pm »
I just saw this on the GP Knives facebook page.
Our dear friend Bill has passed on.

"Beloved friend and former employee, Bill Haddick, passed on Friday August 29th, after a long and hard fought battle with cancer. Bill will be forever missed and forever loved.

Arrangements are being handled by Herr Funeral Home in Collinsville, IL. First Visitation will be Saturday, September 6th, 2014, 4:00pm - 6:00pm. Additional information will be forthcoming."

Mike Nomad

Re: Deadfish
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2014, 06:24 pm »
Damn. Bill was a great guy, with an equally great sense of humor.

Thanks for putting out the word.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2014, 06:31 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  I really liked Bill and will miss his stories, good taste in music and his kindness.  He was a great guy. 

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2014, 06:43 pm »
Sad to hear this. Bill was a nice guy and unique person.
Chris H.

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2014, 08:18 pm »
That's a bummer.

I typed to Bill back around February and he was still hanging in there. He said he had slowed down even more than before but was still able to motor around. Even being slowed by the inevitable, Bill was still making fun of dying. Since this was open season, I'd join in. We'd get to laughing, poking fun at life and death. He'd always tell me how much he enjoyed doing that because the people around him kept acting like he was dying....classic Bill.

Bill ended up making it two years longer than the doctors predicted. On some level that's great but I don't want to think about how difficult that was on Susan and his son. I'm glad to know his delightful soul has been finally released from the tortures of his failing body.

Here's a quick pic of Mark (mark@marktwain), Deadfish (Bill) and Mike Allen at Music for Pleasure during one of our Music Crawls.

He was quite the character. I know Laura and I really connected with Bill on some elemental level. As he put it years ago, "I think we're brothers from different mothers." or something to that effect....and we were. We had tons in common in lives gone by. We'd talk occasionally and it would always turn into an hour long (plus) conversation. We'd pick up the friendship after losing touch for months (or longer) like life hadn't ever gotten in the way. Bill was as genuine as they come. He made no pretense of who he was. Bill was Bill and we loved him for it.

What a great guy, we'll miss him...and all join him at some point.

Here's to you my old friend  :beer: 
Save us a good seat up there. As you know, in a blink of an eye, it will be our turn to join you.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2014, 08:27 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  I've checked occasionally to see if was still signing in here.  He was a class guy and will be missed.

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2014, 08:53 pm »
I was just cruising Bill's albums and ran across some great pics of Deadfish

Deadfish at RMAF

RMAF after Bill unpacked

...and just Bill with his sly grin

steve k

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2014, 11:23 pm »
I'm really sorry to hear this. Bill was a great guy and lots of fun. One of my favorite memories was when I took my pair of VTL's over to his place and we cranked them up in his upstairs room. It got hot up there (in the middle of winter) so he opened the window between the speakers and we had the Grateful Dead cranked up so loud you could hear it a block away at 3 in the morning. (Susan wasn't home) :green: I remember waking up on his couch downstairs the next morning and it was freezing in the house. We left that window open all night.

I felt like I was in high school again. We'll miss ya Bill.

Steve

wedweb

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2014, 11:34 pm »
Always had interesting conversations with him....bought a couple knives off him a while back....still carry the Buck knife I bought from him as my EDC.....

electricbear

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2014, 03:31 am »
May I suggest that at 10pm Stl time on Saturday we fire up our systems and play some greatful dead ( use yuotube or pandora) if you have to and raise a glass of your preferred tipple in Bills honor. Bill was one of the original founding fathers of GAS so we need to give him an appropriate send off

steve k

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2014, 02:39 pm »
Excellent idea Tim!  :beer:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm »
Rest in peace my friend. Bill was great to talk to and a joy to hang out with.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2014, 01:00 pm »
Hi all.
I did not know Bill.
Bill had a good sense of humor (According to some of his friends).
That's good.
Bill pass away. That's not good.

Bill does not suffer anymore. That's good.
Bill will be missed. That's not good.
Bill will be in heaven waiting for his friends. That's good.
RIP Bill.

Guy 13

Mike Nomad

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2014, 02:18 pm »
10PM this Saturday works for me. I get my new crossovers tomorrow.

sturgus

« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:28 am »
RIP My Brother. May The Angels Welcome You With Open Arms.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #15 on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:36 am »
I never met Bill, but I'm sorry to hear of a passing GASSER.  RIP.

Sarmck

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:50 am »
It had been quite a while since Bill and I had communicated last. But I remember during the few times we were attending the same listening sessions, he had a sly sense of humor and a slight grin that made me think there was always something going on that he was not completely sharing.

RIP Bill

daves

« Reply #17 on: 7 Sep 2014, 02:02 am »
Bill had a devil may care approach that always fosters joy. He was very much in the moment and  alive with joy. He managed to solve one of the mysteries of life - how to live well. I am glad to have called him friend, and today we played American Beauty thru his Altecs with a little tube amp he very much would enjoy.

To Bill

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 7 Sep 2014, 03:12 am »
......., he had a sly sense of humor and a slight grin that made me think there was always something going on that he was not completely sharing......
That grin was awesome.  :wink:

jedi35

« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2014, 06:22 pm »
I'm so very sorry to hear this about Bill. What a great guy, and I will miss seeing him at GAS events.

Adrian