VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #920 on: 29 Apr 2018, 04:51 pm »
VMPS Larger Subwoofer Speaker Package  -  (Columbia, MD)  $525

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8i39e-vmps-rm-30-left-center-right-larger-subwoofer-speaker-package-full-range

"Original owner - purchased in 2002/2003 timeframe.  This sub functions perfectly and looks fantastic, as shown in the pictures. It has one scratch on the left side of the cabinet face, that is mostly covered by the grille.  I think it would be very easy to fix this with a small amount of wood putty and a bit of black paint or a black Sharpie and would then not be noticeable.   

It was used relatively sparingly, in a dedicated home theater environment.  It comes from a climate-controlled, smoke-free and pet-free home and was never handled outside of setup and removal from the home theater. 

The original grille is included and it is in excellent condition, too.

Note:  I did have VMPS RM30 speakers for sale as well, but they have been purchased."

Stimpy

« Reply #921 on: 5 May 2018, 01:52 am »
REPOST & PRICE DROP  -  $3000  $2000...!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-V60-Rosewood-Speakers/123113021815?hash=item1caa1ba177:g:0gwAAOSw-H1a0142

:drool:
VMPS RM V60-Rosewood-Speakers  $3500.00 or best offer

(Silver Spring, Maryland)

EBAY:https://www.ebay.com/itm/123099917482?ul_noapp=true

INFO: http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RMV60.htm
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 02:00 am by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #922 on: 5 May 2018, 01:57 am »
REPOST & PRICE DROP   -  $500  $350...!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Subwoofer/123113022634?hash=item1caa1ba4aa:g:6moAAOSwU8xa010-

VMPS Larger Subwoofer Speaker Package  -  (Columbia, MD)  $525

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8i39e-vmps-rm-30-left-center-right-larger-subwoofer-speaker-package-full-range

"Original owner - purchased in 2002/2003 timeframe.  This sub functions perfectly and looks fantastic, as shown in the pictures. It has one scratch on the left side of the cabinet face, that is mostly covered by the grille.  I think it would be very easy to fix this with a small amount of wood putty and a bit of black paint or a black Sharpie and would then not be noticeable.   

It was used relatively sparingly, in a dedicated home theater environment.  It comes from a climate-controlled, smoke-free and pet-free home and was never handled outside of setup and removal from the home theater. 

The original grille is included and it is in excellent condition, too.

Note:  I did have VMPS RM30 speakers for sale as well, but they have been purchased."
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 02:01 am by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #923 on: 8 May 2018, 09:12 pm »
VMPS Tower II/ Super Tower  -  (Hobart, IL)  $800

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ele/d/vmps-tower-ii-super-tower/6582520606.html

"Have for sale a pair of vmps tower II super tower floor standing speakers. Speakers and woofers are in perfect condition screen cover on one is near perfect and the other the screen is pulling away. Very clear sounding spearkers, great for a big room or garage. No longer have the room for them. $800 obo"

Stimpy

« Reply #924 on: 8 May 2018, 09:25 pm »
Pair of VMPS Original Subwoofers  -  (Coeur d'Alene, WA)  $500

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/d/pair-of-vmps-original/6581780929.html

"Pair of VMPS Subwoofers from audiophile speaker company VMPS known for their large exotic full range tower speakers. These subs were designed to reinforce the performance of already full range speakers so are capable of incredible power with deep, prodigious and authoritative bass that also sounds tight and musical even at higher frequencies.

I did a cosmetic restoration by refinishing the original rough walnut cabinets in black satin lacquer. The grills were also professionally recovered by an upholsterer. They look great now and definitely more contemporary in the black finish.

These have the upgraded carbon fiber Megawoofers with phase plugs so improve on the original impressive specs....

Original specifications, performance (distortion, frequency response, power handling, etc) has been improved with the Megawoofers:

VMPS Subwoofer
-Frequency Response: +0,-3dB, 19Hz-600Hz
-THD no more than 0.5%, 22Hz-600Hz with 1W drive
-Sensitivity: 94dB/1W/1m
-Maximum undistorted output: 126dB/1m for 5% THD
-Driver Complement: bottom-firing, mass-loaded, slot-loaded 15" passive radiator, front-firing 12" polypropylene cone woofer
-Recommended crossover range: 60Hz-300Hz
-Impedance: 8 Ohms
-Power Requirements 20W rms min, 250W rms max
-Dimensions: 27 1/2"H x 21 1/2"W x 17"D, Weight: 90lbs
-Internal wiring: Powerline speaker cable

If you have the space, you'll be amazed with the performance of these subs. Sold strictly as a pair for ultimate dual sub stereo configuration.

These are located in Coeur d'Alene just east of Spokane and are posted in Seattle metro area due to the limited demographic market here.

I'll gladly demo for serious buyers.

Also willing to meet in Moses Lake for nominal expenses.

Please send contact info with reply."

avguytx

« Reply #925 on: 23 May 2018, 07:48 pm »
Well, we are about 2 weeks away from the start of our house being built (finally) so that will be keeping me busy for the remainder of the year without a doubt.  But, I believe I've narrowed down my search in which models I'll be keeping an eye out for; RM1,  RM2, RM30's for sure and ",maybe" the RM40's as the max size I'd want to go.  The upstairs room is going to be right at 15.5' x 35' (+/-) and they would go on the long wall but not in corners based on how the room is laid out.  I read where the 1's, 2's & 30's could go fairly close to the back wall which is good...I'm not a fan of speakers coming way out into a room.  Now, if I could turn them where they were on the 15' wall, that might be another story but I wouldn't like the room done like that.  I still have a pair of Klipsch Belle clone speakers I built that will be used primarily and ran off of a VTA ST-70 tube amp or Mac MC250 s/s amp.

At any rate, that's the main models I'm keeping an eye on in my center of the US.  Not that I expect to see them anytime soon, but you just never know....

Stimpy

« Reply #926 on: 30 May 2018, 11:47 pm »
VMPS RM40 Speakers  -  (Parkville, Maryland)  $2499.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-RM40-Speakers/192554609563?hash=item2cd5262b9b:g:sJkAAOSw3HZbDxQa

"Good working condition with some wear. Local pickup only."

Stimpy

« Reply #927 on: 8 Jun 2018, 02:24 pm »
Vintage High End Stereo System  -  (Breinigsville, PA)  $2100

https://allentown.craigslist.org/for/d/vintage-high-end-stereo-system/6597478770.html

"Vintage High End Stereo
VMPS Super Tower 2 A/R Speakers
Onkyo T9060 Fm Stereo Tuner
Onkyo P3060 Stereo Preamplifier
Yamaha CDC835 Disc Player
Fostex Model 3030 Equalizer
Crown DC300A Poweramplifier
Hafler DH500 Amplifier
Cerwin Vega DB10 Bass Turbocharger
Dbx Model 3Bx Dynamic Range Enhancer
Stereo Cabinet as Pictured Included
Tv Not Included or Items on top of Stereo Cabinet
Excellent Condition
Great Sounding System
Call Jeff"

thepianoman04

« Reply #928 on: 10 Jun 2018, 02:01 am »
Just picked up 2 more Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks to complete my setup. 4 XPR-1s into 2 VMPS Wide Range Ribbon speakers. 3,500 watts per channel! 2 XPA-1s at 1,000 watts per channel for the VMPS larger subs. Pictures attached. :)

Yun66

« Reply #929 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:31 pm »
Do you need separate circuits for each channel or even each amp? I was wondering how you manage these power hungry amps. Thanks!

thepianoman04

« Reply #930 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:38 pm »
Just picked up 2 more Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks to complete my setup. 4 XPR-1s into 2 VMPS Wide Range Ribbon speakers. 3,500 watts per channel! 2 XPA-1s at 1,000 watts per channel for the VMPS larger subs. Pictures attached. :)

Do you need separate circuits for each channel or even each amp? I was wondering how you manage these power hungry amps. Thanks!

Currently, I'm running all 4 XPR-1s off of a single 15 amp circuit. However, I'm having an electrician come out this week to install a single 20 amp outlet to plug my power conditioner into that can also handle a 20 amp load. Thought about following the recommended 20 amp per XPR-1 but decided that would be very costly to have 4 plugs installed and don't plan on running these at ridiculous levels to require it.

Also, didn't want to bypass my power conditioner by plugging them into their own 20 amp circuit or have to buy another (or multiple) power conditioners.

Yun66

« Reply #931 on: 11 Jun 2018, 01:14 pm »
Understood. Guess your conditioner must have a very large reserve. Or I would imagine they could trip the breaker if they are turned on simultaneously.

thepianoman04

« Reply #932 on: 11 Jun 2018, 01:26 pm »
Understood. Guess your conditioner must have a very large reserve. Or I would imagine they could trip the breaker if they are turned on simultaneously.

I imagine if the XPR-1s powered on simultaneously, all 4 together, the lights may flicker or the breaker might pop but since they have the soft startup and are also on triggers (which stagger them on one after another) it’s not an issue. :)

Here’s a link my buddy took of them powering on for the first time after I got them setup. :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcsHOPo5xFM&feature=youtu.be

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #933 on: 12 Jun 2018, 09:06 pm »
Well, we are about 2 weeks away from the start of our house being built (finally) so that will be keeping me busy for the remainder of the year without a doubt.  But, I believe I've narrowed down my search in which models I'll be keeping an eye out for; RM1,  RM2, RM30's for sure and ",maybe" the RM40's as the max size I'd want to go.  The upstairs room is going to be right at 15.5' x 35' (+/-) and they would go on the long wall but not in corners based on how the room is laid out.  I read where the 1's, 2's & 30's could go fairly close to the back wall which is good...I'm not a fan of speakers coming way out into a room.  Now, if I could turn them where they were on the 15' wall, that might be another story but I wouldn't like the room done like that.  I still have a pair of Klipsch Belle clone speakers I built that will be used primarily and ran off of a VTA ST-70 tube amp or Mac MC250 s/s amp.

At any rate, that's the main models I'm keeping an eye on in my center of the US.  Not that I expect to see them anytime soon, but you just never know....

Ceiling height?  What are doing for bass in that room?  All the models you mention severely lack bass for a room of that volume.  Anything smaller than the 40 without subs is pure fail except for chamber music in that volume room.  The larger the room, the less is bass reinforcement, and the more likely are bass modes inaudible, and spread apart.  All these are good things for bass quality.  The only down side is you need more active bass driver surface area, a lot more in that size room. 

The other problem is that the larger the room the more amp power is required.  I never tried the SA1000's high pass active crossover, but if you get the SA1000 go ahead and try the high pass xo.  I never checked user reviews of the HP xo. 

Those 2 used OSWs from early May would be killer in that room, especially because they are nicely refinished in black w/new cloth.  I'd jump on those.  Power them with the Dayton SA1000 and you're in business. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #934 on: 12 Jun 2018, 09:15 pm »
pianoman,
If convenient, please post a clearer image of the main speakers.  Does that model have the Strathearn true ribbons?  If yes, that is the most rare VMPS model extant, AFAIK.  Tx.

Properly driven and setup, the VMPS Wide Range Ribbon is likely the all time best performing VMPS, second being the RM50.  The 50, as do all speakers with the 8" planar neo midrange, needs either an active or passive band pass filter for the 1kHz bump (multiple dB).

thepianoman04

« Reply #935 on: 12 Jun 2018, 09:54 pm »
pianoman,
If convenient, please post a clearer image of the main speakers.  Does that model have the Strathearn true ribbons?  If yes, that is the most rare VMPS model extant, AFAIK.  Tx.

Properly driven and setup, the VMPS Wide Range Ribbon is likely the all time best performing VMPS, second being the RM50.  The 50, as do all speakers with the 8" planar neo midrange, needs either an active or passive band pass filter for the 1kHz bump (multiple dB).

From what I’ve been told, yes these are original Strathearn ribbons and my friend who knows quite a bit about VMPS said these are probably about 1-9 pair ever made. Maybe 11.

They do sound better than any other speakers I’ve heard but I may be biased since it’s all I ever heard growing up. They were my dad’s and I inherited them a couple years ago.

Here are a couple close up photos of the speaker and the ribbons.

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2018, 12:14 pm by thepianoman04 »

Stimpy

« Reply #936 on: 13 Jun 2018, 02:29 pm »
VMPS - 626R Speakers Pair - Piano Black  -  (Norwalk, IA)  $600

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/d/vmps-626r-speakers-pair-piano/6615148968.html

"A Pair of VMPS 626R speakers in Piano Black. Great sounding ribbon speakers. These are called bookshelf speakers, but they are much bigger than a typical bookshelf speaker. I used them in my main system for many years and loved them. Great detail and they can play very loudly and cleanly for their size. They have dials on the back to tweak the tweeter and midrange.

I am the second owner of these speakers, I have had them for about 13 years. They are in excellent shape overall. VMPS often was criticized for the quality of their piano black finish, but in this case it is actually very well done. There is some super minor chipping in one spot in the black finish that you can't see unless you are very close. Cosmetically they are excellent overall. The foam on the woofers still looks great.

They are biwireable as you can see in the pictures. They have the spiral tweeter. The original owner claimed to have ordered several upgrades and done some upgrades himself including Auricaps, Soundcoat, and .99999 silver hookup wires. I have never opened these to verify the upgrades, but I can tell you that they sound great.

The stands were sent for free by the original owner, they were a homemade creation of his - they are substantial and built according to VMPS recommendations, but aesthetically not that great. I will also throw them in for free if wanted.

These are substantial speakers - about 40 lbs each and the stands are also solid."

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #937 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:12 pm »
pianoman,
I only heard the WRRM several times in Brian's various sound rooms.  They generally sat in the corner collecting dust.  Only the Strathearn and BG ribbon mids are true ribbons.  All later so-called VMPS "ribbon" mids are planar types, not ribbons.  For suitable impedance the BG required an input transformer (included), the Strathearn required multiples or a user-supplied transformer.       

IMO the Strathearn sounds more mellow, musical, and smoother than the BG.  It has as much detail.  The BG had serious reliability problem.  The planar drivers may have more detail, but lack the musical qualities of the true ribbons.  The Strathearn failed only because it required multiples or a transformer, or multiples in series, plus it cost a ton, plus it lacked sensitivity (multiples again).  Brian's application of the Strathearn ribbon seems ideal.  The Strathearn was made in England.  Possibly one or more European OEM employed the Strathearn to good effect.     

I forgot the WRRM price, but estimate it was in the $5-6k range including subs and Curl's low pass sub xo, real money back in the 80s!

Re-thinking the "best" performing VMPS models, the Elixir, RM-60 Wing, and RM-50 compete with the WRRM performance, but only with a very high grade fix of the large (multiple dB) 1kHz peak in the planar mid.  IMO modern source performance exceeds by huge margin the performance of the digital xo Brian used to fix the mid range peak.  Lacking a very high grade fix for that peak, I'd take the WRRM.  I know someone who might be able to fix the peak (or at least improve it) with a passive notch filter (would connect in parallel, not series, directly to the speaker's binding posts).         

If you're not using a dedicated music streamer (and player if required) of the highest quality, IOW, if you're spinning digital discs of any kind or use a normal computer, performance suffers yugely driving the WRRM.  Brian never imagined the digital source quality now available for a fraction of the cost of the gear he used.

If known, do the 8s on the WRRM have a high pass filter?  I doubt it, but curious.  I would not consider swapping the OEM passive high pass ribbon crossover for a digital type.  But I would consider swapping the OEM passive low-pass xo on the 12s and 8s for an active type, either analog or digital.  I would predict the 12s and 8s share one passive LP crossover component, a simple 6 dB (electrical) coil in series, the only such passive xo VMPS ever employed in that application. 

Stimpy

« Reply #938 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:20 pm »
The Infinity QRS used the Strathearn ribbons.  Though, I doubt many pairs were sold either.

http://infinity-classics.de/models/Quantum-series-1976/index-Quantum.htm

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #939 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:54 pm »
Very interesting, Stimpy!  Great find. 

My knowledge of psycho acoustics started a few years prior to Brian's passing.  I better understand now why he preferred to site his super tweeters up so high on his earlier models like the WRRM and the ST IIa/R.  His intent was to increase top octave energy in the reverberant field.  Most rooms having a ceiling in the area of 8 feet, Brian intended that tweeter to reverberate off the ceiling. 

There was something about the latter VMPS symmetrical arrays I did not like as much as the earlier models, and IMO it correlates to the above.  The centrally located super tweeter in the symmetrical arrays minimized (to a huge extent) reverberant field energy in the range it covers.  So the symmetrical arrays increase directionality in a specific range (the top octave) where perception may be better if that energy tilted toward the reverberant field.

The 60 and 50 have improved reverberant field performance throughout the mid range (but surprisingly not the top octave) v. all prior VMPS models.  The Elixir array via the cabinet curve has potential, but requires large distances to the side walls, and nothing between the speakers (and still lacks ideal reverberant field qualities).  Because of super tweeter siting, the 50 and 60 lack top octave energy in the reverberant field, while the Elixir has that fantastic true ribbon ST on a horizontal adjustable pivot (that ST might sound better horizontal or above horizontal, to increase reverberant field energy....there is one problem which is that reflections earlier than 10ms degrade performance).  Brian switched from the dipole to bipolar array in the 50 based on my prodding, after I had learned a lot on the subject of psycho acoustics through my relationship with AudioKinesis.

Unfortunately, by the time my knowledge on psycho acoustics had grown considerably, I had already moved to Utah, and Brian's health started to decline...  :(