BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

rob80b

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1140 on: 13 Jun 2018, 02:27 pm »
But my understanding is that there  is not much of a difference between inline attenuators on the input to power amp, and reducing the gain on the power amp, but I am not sure about that.
It could help to know the BHA-1 voltage on balanced, outputs and what is acceptable input range for 2B LP but I cannot find this info anywhere

Think of an in line attenuator  as a fixed  single "stepped attenuator" using stepped resistors, they're  highly coveted but expensive but are way more precise and less prone to failure than a variable potentiometer.
So yes it would be better IMHO to have at least one of the components fully open, in this case the 2B and use the -15 attenuator to reduce its input as I explained earlier.

Both the BHA-1 and 2B are fairly robust and will handle almost any input, if I'm not mistaken.

2BLP specs
Input sensitivity: .775v for 60W @ 8Ω
Input impedance: 50KΩ unbalanced 10KΩ balanced

The BHA-1 schematics may help
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Schematics/BHA1_SCHEMATICS.pdf
and this one..
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Other/2BLP_GAIN.pdf

Maybe James can facilitate. : )

wormcycle

« Reply #1141 on: 13 Jun 2018, 04:06 pm »
Thank you
I was thinking in line Shure attenuator. To keep the 2B LP gain fully open I would have Shure set to - 15dB between 2B LP and BHA-1 and then I will have have some room on the bha-1 volume control. Otherwise it gets very loud  when volume knob at 9

rob80b

« Reply #1142 on: 13 Jun 2018, 04:11 pm »
Thank you
I was thinking in line Shure attenuator. To keep the 2B LP gain fully open I would have Shure set to - 15dB between 2B LP and BHA-1 and then I will have have some room on the bha-1 volume control. Otherwise it gets very loud  when volume knob at 9

That would be the best arrangement IMHO.  :thumb: