little word from you guys who know new tv's ??

2bigears

little word from you guys who know new tv's ??
« on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:09 pm »
:D  hi,thinkin' on a new 50" or so and don't know jack about the new best buys out there.I think plasma is the way to go and have read that Panasonic and Pioneer are a couple good names???? Any help thks.Sitting 8 feet back in a dark room will be the application here. :D

TomS

Re: little word from you guys who know new tv's ??
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:21 pm »
Pat,

I just love living vicariously through you to spend your money  :green:

Pioneer Kuro - awesome tv's.  New really thin stuff coming like OLED among other technologies, but not much else out there to buy yet.  I have a JVC D-ILA but would love to have one of the Pio's myself.

Tom

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:25 pm »
 :D  thks Tom,you know you can't take it with you :o and forget the stock market.The Pioneer Elites are good then???? thks   :D

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:35 pm »
I have a Sony 60A3000 and it is great they also make a 50" & 55".

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:40 pm »
Pat - good thread here by people who know more than me :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=47333.0

I've seen the newer Pioneer Kuro 50" and it is beautiful.  The Panasonics are also nice, a bit less expensive.

Tom

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:09 pm »
I'm lusting after the Pioneer Kuro, it is getting rave reviews, both from the pros and from users. It has possibly the best black levels of any digital display to date. The Panny plasmas also look very nice and are less expensive.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:54 pm »
If you can swing it, Kuro is the way to go.   :thumb:

George

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:17 pm »
:D  thks guys,the 5080hd at 2500 and the 5010fd is 3500.The next decision,the fd is the full 1080p, while the hd is 768 res.Is this worth 1000 dollars more?? :scratch:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:30 pm »
Absolutely.  Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't either 720 or 1080.  768 is just a carryover from computer resolutions that maps horribly to HDTV standard pixel mapping. 

Bryan

Thebiker

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:36 pm »
I just installed a new Pany 1080p plasma for my next door neighbor.  Dude is 90, looks about 75 and loves his sports, especially boxing :D.

The Pany looks great, using a Comcast HD signal.  Blacks are great, colors crisp:  gorgeous set.  I would have gone to the Elite, but this Pany is awesome for less $.

Walt

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2008, 06:00 pm »
:D  thks guys,the 5080hd at 2500 and the 5010fd is 3500.The next decision,the fd is the full 1080p, while the hd is 768 res.Is this worth 1000 dollars more?? :scratch:

Think your audio gear is worth the extra money??   aa

George

electricbear

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2008, 06:23 pm »
The Pioneer 1080P Kuro is the way to go. This is undoubtedly the best tv I have ever seen and I go to most of the shows and seen a lot of them.
There will be one making it's way to my home in the not too distant future.

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2008, 08:06 pm »
 :D  thks everyone,Bryan,thks for that and cross that 768 res tv off the list.That leaves the Pioneer 5010FD [1080p],and if a guy wants or needs to shave cash,go to a Panny,they must use cheaper parts if the tv's are less dough.That's only speculation or first thought.Nice to save money but you always did pay for quality.I was reading Panny has the most tv patents though,hummmmm?????? :D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2008, 08:07 pm »
Panny is very good, the Kuro is excellent.

You need to decide if it is worth the price difference.

George

meby

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2008, 08:09 pm »
Just a word of caution. Do not buy a plasma if you watch a lot of show with stock tickers or you play a lot of video games as burn-in is inevitable on plasma display with static images.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2008, 08:33 pm »
My son has a 42" Pany and I have a 60" 6070Hz Pio (768).  On good HD material they are both very good with the Pio being the best. People who stop over are amazed.  On SD, the Pio blows the Pany away. From what I understand, the Pios have superior scalers . . . even my old SD DVDs look really good, thought I'd need to get an upscaling player but no need. I'm personally glad I spent the extra . . . . this set will be with us for a LONG time.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:12 am »
My wife and I love our Pio Elite Pro-150FD.  When mated to the matching Elite BDP-95FD Blu-ray player, the picture is stunning.  It'll be even better after ISF calibration.  :green:

Ken

2bigears

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:17 am »
 :D  Ken,are those calibrations a diy kinda thing,or how is this done?? thks   :D

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:48 am »
Hello 2bigears,

Unfortunately, ISF calibration is a little more involved than that.  I'll most likely pay someone to come over during one of their tours.  There are quite a few who post on avsforum, but I'll most likely contact Jeff Meier (user name umr on avs) from AccuCal.  Tour schedules and pricing are posted on their website.

Hope this helps.