Record Clamps

Don_S

Record Clamps
« on: 7 Nov 2023, 02:27 am »
I have a pristine VPI TT for sale but a potential buyer is hesitating because it has a screw-on record clamp.  :roll:

I am not familiar with options. Are there clamps that are not screw-on but work with a threaded spindle? I would love to recommend options and make the sale.

Thanks for any help.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Record Clamps
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2023, 05:37 am »
Any of the heavy clamps, weights will work.  I assume this rube knows nothing of vpi tables.  The screw on Delrin clamps from vpi are far superior to other clamps.  If he doesn't like it there are many more buyers out there for your table.  Which model?

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2023, 03:23 pm »
VPI Prime. Due to a damaged shipping box I am selling local only so that is limiting interest. I also do not want to pack and ship something delicate. A packed TT is heavy and the box is large. Nobody wants to pay shipping.

dolsey01

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2023, 04:26 pm »
I have a pristine VPI TT for sale but a potential buyer is hesitating because it has a screw-on record clamp.  :roll:

I am not familiar with options. Are there clamps that are not screw-on but work with a threaded spindle? I would love to recommend options and make the sale.

Thanks for any help.

The screw down VPI clamp is the way to go unless the buyer want's to spend the money for the periphery ring and HR-X weight.  I've had both and ended up selling the periphery ring and weight, it was too cumbersome to use.  Much preferred the screw down clamp.  That being said, 95% of my collection was bought brand new in the last 15 years so I don't have to deal with too many warped records.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2023, 04:54 pm »

Thanks for any help.

My VPI HW19II had a screw down clamping system. Just a plastic piece to cover the label and a plastic nut to screw down on the threaded spindle. I thought it was a brilliant design. No ultra heavy weight or clamp to force down on the record and more importantly, the bearing. A can think of no better way to "clamp" a record to the platter aside from a few ultra expensive tables that use a vacuum hold system. The buyer should be thankful to have a threaded spindle design IMHO. And FWIW, my current turntable is not designed for a clamp of any sort and honestly, I don't miss them in the least.