Cartridge mounting & alignment recommendation needed

nature boy

Greetings,

I am looking for a recommendation for purchase, install and alignment of an Audio Technica AT OC9MXL cartridge on my Rega RB 300 tonearm. I plan to ship or deliver the tonearm to a reputable dealer. Since I'm located in northern DE, a dealer in DE, SE PA or Southern NJ is preferred. I have the original box and packing materials for the tonearm.

I'm not interested in personally mounting and aligning since I'm mostly thumbs. Another option would be a fellow enthusiast with  cartridge install experience and proper equipment who might help me out since the AT is readily available online.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

NB 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Cartridge mounting & alignment recommendation needed
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2022, 03:30 pm »
Quest for Sound in Bensalem, PA.  I haven't lived in the area for a few years so I hope they're still open.  It's around the back of a crappy little strip mall, but don't be disuaded, it's a serious operation.  He keeps the fixed costs low to stay in business, but they had an extensive repair business when I was there.

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2022, 05:29 pm »
if you're in Northern De than I assume you know of these folks !!

https://www.overtureav.com

FWIW the Rega RB300 is a pretty easy arm to mount and set up. Also, you will need the entire TT to do the job.
 I'm only 25 mins from De here in SE Pa if I can be of assistance

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2022, 02:33 pm »
Yes, twitch is correct, I've bought from them also and they were great.  Twitch, do you know if the repair facility is still at the warehouse?

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2022, 10:02 pm »
Neither Quest or Overture carry Audio Technica cartridges. So it looks like my only option is ordering the cartridge online with a good protractor and going DIY.

NB

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2022, 11:11 pm »
Thanks Bob! I'm sure it will be very helpful.

NB

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2022, 04:39 am »
You also might think of buying a cheap cart to "practice with" before the AT. That is another way to get some experience and confidence since if you mess up you are not going to have a meltdown.

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2022, 01:40 am »
You also might think of buying a cheap cart to "practice with" before the AT. That is another way to get some experience and confidence since if you mess up you are not going to have a meltdown.

Hey!

That's a good advice.

I'm not an expert like Fremer but I get by setting up cart myself for years. It is doable for most people unless you have a very bad eyesight or very shaky hands.

One tip I can give you is leave the stylus cover/guard on when mounting it on the arm until you ready to adjust the weight and etc. And make sure you know and remember which way the cover/guard come off the cart, some you pull forward and some pull down.

Get yourself some set up kit that would last your forever, a test/set up LP, I have Hi-Fi News Test LP that is very helpful for me. And get yourself a $39 Audio-Technica AT-VM95C for practice, you won't cry if you break the cantilever and you can replace it for $25. By the way I have this cart on my second turntable and it is very enjoyable cheap cart. Once the music start I forget that I'm listening to a $39 MM cart! My other cart is the Hana EL on other turntable.

Anyway, have fun and don't drink lots of coffee before you mounting the cart.

Buddy

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2022, 05:21 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys😉

NB